Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
So many CSR

I really think the CSR could be the main driver for the sudden shift. The timeline works out. While the card has been out for several months it takes time for cards to be mailed, people to activate PP and book airfare and then travel.

Chase couldn't even keep the cards in stock... ($1,000-$1,500 sign up bonus didn't hurt)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...t-card-junkies

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ion-in-quarter whew..that was expensive..

It's made worse by the fact (I just learned) that guests are free (now capped at two at AS). A perk I was looking forward to using since AMEX PP guests cost 27.

The CSR with the 300 travel credit and 50% travel points bonus still holds up as a great card without PP. But I will be sad to lose my free beer (pancake in the morning) @ PDX after pre-check on my way to boarding.....
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is MissyDarlin's response from another thread. Seems there is a significant increase in the number of PP holders trying to access the lounges.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27971690-post351.html

Last edited by Baze; Mar 1, 2017 at 10:32 am Reason: fixed typo
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Baze
Here is MissyDarlin's response form another thread. Seems there is a significant increase in the number of PP holders trying to access the lounges.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27971690-post351.html
So... Sever ties with PP and AS I'd say. It just seems that it'll be more problems than just leaving PP network.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
So... Sever ties with PP and AS I'd say. It just seems that it'll be more problems than just leaving PP network.
+1
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acarney
The $300 travel credit without having to play any "buy gift card" games also is a really nice touch to offset that fee...
It still is a $150 net fee card. Even it earns 3x on travel and dining, it means you would need to spend $5000 in those categories to just break even - i.e. fill the hole of the $150 as versus a 2% cash rebate no fee card, the same $5000 spend earns you a cold hard cash of $100. But you are just break even with your CSR.

I am surprised so many think that $300 travel credit as a nice perk... This just goes to show how smart the marketing is - to make you forget about the annual fee is quite high - it can be justified with the OTHER REAL PERKS, such as the 1.5 redemption rate when used to book travel, AND the lounge access including unlimited guests, the primary car insurance, travel interruption etc etc

Those are REAL Perks a cardholder should look at, and justify the fee paid should s/he actually use those perks.

One other thing - the 1.5 travel redemption has a major drawback because if you use it to book hotels you LOSE the hotel stay credit and the elite benefits - so that extra saving is not as high as it is on paper - because a free breakfast, or a lounge access, often costs the same as the saving if not more, in expensive cities.

Another thing on the travel redemption is, UR site could only show the cheapest, "basic economy" type of fares - this can be a serious trap if one is not aware the implication. To illustrate - I was looking at some intra-EU SAS flights - UR site can book it, but at the "Go Light" fare only. That does not offer one free checked bag, and the carry-on is restricted to 8kg only.
If you go one step up the fare on SAS site that includes 1 23kg checked bag, the difference is only $18. However if you buy the "Go Light" and buy the checked bag separately, the fee is $25. On UR site, the only fares available are the "Go Light" - and you would be out $35 even on your 21" carry-on unless you magically could keep it under 8kg!

All these perks look very good on paper, but in reality, as we see it now in the AS BR situation, are not really as nice as we are led to believe.

I would say if the PP becomes worth-less, much less, the $150 net AF is not cheap at all because other perks all have some kinds of "buyer beware" type of draw back, even the primary rental car insurance and the purchase protection. (Very annoying experiences dealing with Chase version versus AMEX version).
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I just thought it was normal!

I was denied access in Portland due to over-crowding last week. I just thought this was normal for an American airport.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
So they've given up what, $1,000 of revenue for 300 bucks? LOL
Yeah, that thought came to my mind as well. Penny wise, pound foolish if the $17-20 cost per visit is accurate.

I only looked it up the number of stays because you did and I wondered just how much I've used it.

I'm not going to play the hit or miss game, I usually work for 30-60 minutes before a flight - hence the willingness to "give up".

My Citi Prestige card loses Admirals Club access in a couple of months anyway, so this is my hedge for that as well. In two years, I strongly suspect that Citi Prestige made zero money on me.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:03 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by 2TallSeaFlyer
My Citi Prestige card loses Admirals Club access in a couple of months anyway, so this is my hedge for that as well. In two years, I strongly suspect that Citi Prestige made zero money on me.
The Citi/AA lounge reimbursement terms are different than PP. Think payment in kind.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
U means this was a coach ticket upgraded to F. This has not been an allowed access method for the lounge for a very long time, if ever...

I'm surprised a 75K such as OP wouldn't know this...
I had heard about it through here but wanted to confirm it was actually the policy. I have always come in with PP before, so never bothered to read lounge access policy to be aware of all allowed access methods.
I have only been a 75K for a year (and status matched in) so don't have a whole lot of time with Alaska yet, still learning
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:26 am

Denied Access

3/1/2017 SEA N BR PP. Flying AS upgraded FC 8:00a

Claimed lounge was packed when I could clearly see behing her that the bar was completely empty.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
So they've given up what, $1,000 of revenue for 300 bucks? LOL
Well, if you are thinking along those lines then it should just become a PP lounge and not an AS member lounge. After all, every time they turn away a PP member they turn away revenue.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cleverremark
3/1/2017 SEA N BR PP. Flying AS upgraded FC 8:00a

Claimed lounge was packed when I could clearly see behing her that the bar was completely empty.
This is happening quite frequently now...please report this AS Customer Care AND Priority Pass...the "closed to PP due to capacity issues" excuse is not only getting old, but many times, it's totally false.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
This is happening quite frequently now...please report this AS Customer Care AND Priority Pass...the "closed to PP due to capacity issues" excuse is not only getting old, but many times, it's totally false.

Since 1/16/17, I've passed by the D gates Boardroom 10 times. All varying days (weekdays and weekends), varying times (early morning, afternoon, early evening, late evening) and every time the sign is out. I'm beginning to think they simply leave the sign out during all hours.

Of course I can't confirm based on just 10 times, but sure seems that way.

However, I have been able to access the North terminal boardroom on those days.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
What is the capacity required to post the sign? With the"significant increase" (Missy's words) in PP people accessing the clubs AS may have decided if the club is at 30% capacity it is time to shut off the PP people. And they are perfectly within their rights to do so. And the PP site says the lounges owners are the ones who set the limits, not PP, PP just goes by what the owner of the lounge says and even goes on to say there is no guarantee a PP member will be able to access a given lounge. Now if enough PP member complain to PP maybe PP will open a dialog with AS about the issue. Complaining to AS would be fruitless, I believe. AS would probably just say buy an AS lounge membership if you want guaranteed access. If PP member ship is getting that huge, maybe they should start thinking about opening their own lounges thru out the world. With more and more CC's giving PP membership this was bound to happen as the PP membership grew. With no more lounges being added to the airports soon there will be more PP members trying to access clubs than people who buy the actual lounge membership or are authorized by other means (paid F, 75K lounge passes, etc). Something has to give and unfortunatly for the PP member, that is where is is giving.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Baze
What is the capacity required to post the sign? With the"significant increase" (Missy's words) in PP people accessing the clubs AS may have decided if the club is at 30% capacity it is time to shut off the PP people. And they are perfectly within their rights to do so. And the PP site says the lounges owners are the ones who set the limits, not PP, PP just goes by what the owner of the lounge says and even goes on to say there is no guarantee a PP member will be able to access a given lounge. Now if enough PP member complain to PP maybe PP will open a dialog with AS about the issue. Complaining to AS would be fruitless, I believe. AS would probably just say buy an AS lounge membership if you want guaranteed access. If PP member ship is getting that huge, maybe they should start thinking about opening their own lounges thru out the world. With more and more CC's giving PP membership this was bound to happen as the PP membership grew. With no more lounges being added to the airports soon there will be more PP members trying to access clubs than people who buy the actual lounge membership or are authorized by other means (paid F, 75K lounge passes, etc). Something has to give and unfortunatly for the PP member, that is where is is giving.
Except complaining to AS allows the dots to be connected that the customer is thinking this is ALASKA's fault. They may rethink their plans or make a statement or reach out to PP to discuss options then. Alaska doesn't (or at least shouldn't) want to take heat from this issue when they're dealing with customers that either paid another company (PP) or received the benefit via a 3rd party (credit card). Alaska is delivering the product but doesn't have any control over the sales of that product. By letting AS directly know that we're unhappy then it will work it's way up AS channels to someone that either can rethink the ability to deliver the product (lounge access) or to someone that's making the agreements with the 3rd party (PP).

Again, this isn't about being entitled and the lounge doors should swing wide open as we approach. It's about AS telling PP "hey, EVERY day from 7am to 10am and from 4pm to 6pm that sign is going to be out, we're just too busy". Then PP will be obligated to post that information on their site, which for anyone that actually is buying a PP will be a deterrent toward the purchase if they mainly use airports that only have AS lounge options. That puts PP in the position of having to try and improve their product if they don't want it to hurt the image or sales of it. Bring in more lounges, negotiate a better deal with AS, or a more exclusive one (IE PP AS lounge access only when holding an AS boarding pass, etc).

It also allows us to find out exactly when we should be booking travel rather then having to match together a bunch of "word of mouth" data points here...

You can be polite about it, but if you're sending Alaska Listens or calling in to make a comment about it, then that data point shows up on Alaska's radar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.