Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:56 pm

Has anyone used their "one-time" award change to change their destination region? I'm wondering because I have an award from SFO-DXB-HKG, but wanted to see if it's possible to do SFO-DXB-JNB as the cost pre-devaluation was the same from North America to Asia/Africa. Any insights would be appreciated!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jglenn16
Has anyone used their "one-time" award change to change their destination region? I'm wondering because I have an award from SFO-DXB-HKG, but wanted to see if it's possible to do SFO-DXB-JNB as the cost pre-devaluation was the same from North America to Asia/Africa. Any insights would be appreciated!
As far as I know the one change is a change as if the miles were at the old rates no matter what. You may want to call, ask and if you don't get it HUCA once or twice. I have a feeling that there is a little discretion and skill involved in these changes and results will vary depending on the agent you get on the phone. Good luck, and please report back! ^
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Smile Emirates App

For any of you that have combined Alaska/Emirates flights in a mileage award reservation, you may know that the Emirates App did not allow you to manage your Emirates flights. (You can on the website, however.) While it would load your reservation, when you clicked on it, your would get the following message "Sorry, we have a technical problem at the moment. Please try again later." I asked their IT department about the problem and they indicated that their app could not yet handle non-Emirates flights.

Well, Emirates pushed an App update yesterday and you now can manage your Emirates flight seat assignments and document/contact updates. Great to see!!

You still can not check in on-line using an Emirates confirmation code on their site/app if your first flight is not on Emirates. Hope this will change sometime soon.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Klrduks
For any of you that have combined Alaska/Emirates flights in a mileage award reservation, you may know that the Emirates App did not allow you to manage your Emirates flights. (You can on the website, however.) While it would load your reservation, when you clicked on it, your would get the following message "Sorry, we have a technical problem at the moment. Please try again later." I asked their IT department about the problem and they indicated that their app could not yet handle non-Emirates flights.

Well, Emirates pushed an App update yesterday and you now can manage your Emirates flight seat assignments and document/contact updates. Great to see!!

You still can not check in on-line using an Emirates confirmation code on their site/app if your first flight is not on Emirates. Hope this will change sometime soon.
I have been able to load on reservations and even AS awards and manage them seats etc. for a long time Yes there were glitches and of recent last year had one but over all no issues online. I do have a EK FF number as well.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I have an Emirates FF # as well. I guess I should have mentioned this update was for Ios and Emirates App version 4.0.0. If you have the same, it must have just been my 6s. :-)
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Klrduks
I have an Emirates FF # as well. I guess I should have mentioned this update was for Ios and Emirates App version 4.0.0. If you have the same, it must have just been my 6s. :-)
I hear you !!!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
I know this has been asked before on DXB lounge access on award travel. Both flights have 15-19 hr lay-overs in Dubai.

LAX-DXB (FC)
DXB-JNB (Coach)

JNB-DXB (Biz)
DXB-LAX (FC)

What lounges should I expect to get into? The FC one in DXB is awesome.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by BarryL
I know this has been asked before on DXB lounge access on award travel. Both flights have 15-19 hr lay-overs in Dubai.

LAX-DXB (FC)
DXB-JNB (Coach)

JNB-DXB (Biz)
DXB-LAX (FC)

All but DXB-JNB that flight is always full full and full! That's why their putting a 380 on one of the three daily flights. That should open biz up.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy

LAX-DXB (FC)
DXB-JNB (Coach)

JNB-DXB (Biz)
DXB-LAX (FC)

Emirates bases lounge access on the class of service of the departing flight, not the arriving flight.

You should expect no lounge access in Dubai on your outbound flight (since you're departing DXB in coach), and access to the First Class lounge during your return layover.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by edgewood49
All but DXB-JNB that flight is always full full and full! That's why their putting a 380 on one of the three daily flights. That should open biz up.
The 380 has opened up first class, as well on DXB-JNB. I just used my "one time change" to rebook from biz into first class on this route.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Bretmd
The 380 has opened up first class, as well on DXB-JNB. I just used my "one time change" to rebook from biz into first class on this route.
your lucky that route which I fly regularly both paid and award is heavy when I am going to Cape Town I pay with AMEX PLT 2 for one local currency charge I have also gotten Biz local currency 2300 USD after conversion !
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Emirates bases lounge access on the class of service of the departing flight, not the arriving flight.

You should expect no lounge access in Dubai on your outbound flight (since you're departing DXB in coach), and access to the First Class lounge during your return layover.
Yikes, I'll be keeping a close eye on Biz or FC award space then.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bretmd
Congratulations! That route is a tough get.

Originally Posted by edgewood49
your lucky that route which I fly regularly both paid and award is heavy...
+1. Really lucky.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 3:17 pm

Yikes, I'll be keeping a close eye on Biz or FC award space then.
depending on where your going last minute works if your going to CPT almost never opens JNB as well good luck
Old Aug 5, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by Madone59
Congratulations! That route is a tough get.
Thanks, I'm surprised I got it! The flight is in February 2017. I was expecting to have to wait until a week or two before the flight and then cross my fingers that it opens up, per the usual scenario.

For anyone with an award reservation to/from JNB after February 1st, it's worth checking F and J award inventory again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.