FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1756872-consolidated-emirates-ek-awards-availability-booking-routing-2016-later.html)

jackal Apr 1, 16 2:38 pm

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)
 
Welcome to the 2016 (post-devaluation) version of the Emirates availability/booking/routing thread!

Just a quick heads up--we've moved all of the meta-discussion about the new Emirates award prices themselves to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...no-notice.html

Please consolidate all discussion about the new award rates there.

This thread can continue to be used for discussion about award availability, booking procedures, and routing rules for Emirates award on AS.

jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines

Peridot83 Apr 1, 16 2:42 pm

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread (2016 edition)
 
I'm trying to get JFK-MXP in late July- August. I'm booking with JAL so not effected by the recent AS deval. I'm trying to decode the econ availability on expert flyer. There is Econ Saver and Econ Partner Availability. There is no availability at all in the month of August except for a few days that show partner availability in economy for the MXP-JFK route. But when I cross reference those dates against AS site or emirates sites, I'm not seeing the same availability. Are these actually bookable with JAL miles?

Bretmd Apr 1, 16 2:53 pm

I have a quick question. I apologize if this is already answered upthread.

I have an itinerary booked for LAX-DXB (in F) and DXB-JNB (in J). I feel very lucky to have this booked at the old price of 100K miles.

If first opens up on my DXB-JNB flight, can I upgrade to F without charge, or would that cost another 100K?

Thanks :)

AKCuisine Apr 1, 16 6:00 pm


Originally Posted by Peridot83 (Post 26422550)
I'm trying to get JFK-MXP in late July- August. I'm booking with JAL so not effected by the recent AS deval. I'm trying to decode the econ availability on expert flyer. There is Econ Saver and Econ Partner Availability. There is no availability at all in the month of August except for a few days that show partner availability in economy for the MXP-JFK route. But when I cross reference those dates against AS site or emirates sites, I'm not seeing the same availability. Are these actually bookable with JAL miles?

I think you're posting in the wrong thread. Alaska Air (AS) and JAL do not have a partnership.

If you are booking with JAL, I suggest that you post your question it in a FlyerTalk section devoted to that airline mileage program.

edgewood49 Apr 1, 16 6:38 pm


Originally Posted by Bretmd (Post 26422583)
I have a quick question. I apologize if this is already answered upthread.

I have an itinerary booked for LAX-DXB (in F) and DXB-JNB (in J). I feel very lucky to have this booked at the old price of 100K miles.

If first opens up on my DXB-JNB flight, can I upgrade to F without charge, or would that cost another 100K?

Thanks :)

I think you would be very careful in changing unless you have an ironclad agreement from the agent BEFORE. I have done that before and been banged. I kicked and screamed but

SanDiego1K Apr 2, 16 8:53 am


Originally Posted by Bretmd (Post 26422583)
If first opens up on my DXB-JNB flight, can I upgrade to F without charge, or would that cost another 100K?

I also wonder. I've been thru devaluations on other airlines, and this would definitely have been allowed. But people are expressing reservation about AS allowing it on EK tickets. I hope the first to try will share their experiences - or that AS will issue public guidelines for these tickets.

edgewood49 Apr 2, 16 9:10 am


Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 26425284)
I also wonder. I've been thru devaluations on other airlines, and this would definitely have been allowed. But people are expressing reservation about AS allowing it on EK tickets. I hope the first to try will share their experiences - or that AS will issue public guidelines for these tickets.

I think the culprit is the multifarious amount of bloggers scammers et al Not that the airlines and cc companies hands are clean in all this. There are few days that go by without someone posting on one of the various travel sites boasting about their FC trip on EK for little to nothing. And how you can do it too. I think these are the same ones selling get rich on flipping houses!

Personally and I have been traveling a long time, I like revenue based rewards, I "grew up" in business travel with that and it works. It will mean more seats available, better selection.

As I have said before let's let the smoke clear and see where we are. Well if one looks at J class one way is 120K now compare that to others and it's not too terribly bad and J on EK is a nice product, especially on the 380. I prefer non US metal when I am going abroad for many good reasons.

As for guidelines from AS not sure what guidelines they can issue. But anything to keep order is welcomed

Bretmd Apr 2, 16 9:13 am


Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 26425284)
I also wonder. I've been thru devaluations on other airlines, and this would definitely have been allowed. But people are expressing reservation about AS allowing it on EK tickets. I hope the first to try will share their experiences - or that AS will issue public guidelines for these tickets.

It looks like they updated their FAQ to allow one change to any booking under the old pricing.

https://blog.alaskaair.com/emirates-redemptions/

SanDiego1K Apr 2, 16 9:29 am


Originally Posted by Bretmd (Post 26425365)
It looks like they updated their FAQ to allow one change to any booking under the old pricing.

https://blog.alaskaair.com/emirates-redemptions/

Thank you. That's helpful.

edgewood49 Apr 2, 16 12:01 pm


Originally Posted by Bretmd (Post 26425365)
It looks like they updated their FAQ to allow one change to any booking under the old pricing.

https://blog.alaskaair.com/emirates-redemptions/

well for those that booked that's very helpful.

^^^^^

callmedtop Apr 2, 16 12:10 pm


Originally Posted by Bretmd (Post 26425365)
It looks like they updated their FAQ to allow one change to any booking under the old pricing.

https://blog.alaskaair.com/emirates-redemptions/

Oh thankfully they did this! Saves me from 120K extra points (across 2 people) for a trip I need to push back a couple of months.

dayone Apr 2, 16 4:36 pm


Originally Posted by Bretmd (Post 26425365)
It looks like they updated their FAQ to allow one change to any booking under the old pricing.

That's North of Expected.

But, of course, the objections and admonitions will continue.

jglenn16 Apr 2, 16 6:16 pm


Originally Posted by callmedtop (Post 26426041)
Oh thankfully they did this! Saves me from 120K extra points (across 2 people) for a trip I need to push back a couple of months.

Does anyone know if they will allow any one-time change (origin and destination)? Or is it only a one-time date change with the same routing?

Bretmd Apr 2, 16 7:12 pm


Originally Posted by dayone (Post 26427017)
That's North of Expected.

But, of course, the objections and admonitions will continue.

I definitely appreciate that they are willing to do this.

But, this doesn't seem to me as something that as "north of expected" so much as in line with what one could expect with an airline that is part of a major alliance, such as American.

paladin732 Apr 2, 16 10:31 pm

Question about availability for DXB-->MLE:

I'll be booking a flight soon using the new valuations and am not finding any F on that leg. It looks like there is up close,but not for 2017, which is when my travel is.

Is there evidence that this flight opens later then the SFO/lax--dxb A380 flights? F availability is wide open on them.


EDIT:

For anyone reading this: There is a current issue between AS and EK, it is not that they pulled this option, its just broken. Apparently their top tier helpdesk is working with EK on fixing it.

In the meantime it can be worked around by booking the Z(first) ticket then add the D(biz) leg in.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:17 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.