Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by paladin732
Question about availability for DXB-->MLE:

I'll be booking a flight soon using the new valuations and am not finding any F on that leg. It looks like there is up close,but not for 2017, which is when my travel is.

Is there evidence that this flight opens later then the SFO/lax--dxb A380 flights? F availability is wide open on them.
I booked jfk-dxb(stopover)-mle on F for 2017 travel. I booked it 331 days out (from the departure date of the dxb-mle segment). I had booked online via AS website originally on J for both segments as that was what was only shown available on the website. Right after booking online, I made a call to AS asking rep to change my JFK-DXB to F since when searching separately online it had shown F space but when adding the MLE leg, the F space did not show up (their IT isnt great...). Rep said np and advised will need to charge me addtl miles (total 90k). Rep then looked into my DXB-MLE segment and advised that there was actually F space (only 1 seat) available as well and asked if I want to switch that as well (UH HELLLL YEA!) . I had no idea that there was even F space available for DXB-MLE and was fine with J (only 4hr flight). Only difference is I had to pay additional taxes on the flights (switching from J to F).

Just an FYI. Also, it seems that the AS website calendar only shows 330 days out? but you are able to search for flights up to 331 days. So my DXB-MLE flight date was technically greyed out (unclickable) on the AS website calendar when trying to search; but I manually typed it in and was able to search for it. Good luck and I advise calling AS to book since it appears they see more space/are more flexible at booking.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:24 pm

Thanks!

If there are 2 of us and only 1 seat, can 1 get the better seat and one get the lesser seat? Or is that not doable on the same reservation?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:11 pm
wdc

I was fortunate enough to book 2 tickets from JFK-DXB-DEL just before the devaluation. Both seats on JFK-DXB sector were booked in F, but I was only able to find 1F from DXB-DEL, so I booked 1F and 1J. For some reason, after I booked the 1F, I still see Z1 on expert flyer as well as a seat available on qantas, but the emirates site doesn't show any thing available.

Any one has any experiences with something similar to this?

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by wdc
I was fortunate enough to book 2 tickets from JFK-DXB-DEL just before the devaluation. Both seats on JFK-DXB sector were booked in F, but I was only able to find 1F from DXB-DEL, so I booked 1F and 1J. For some reason, after I booked the 1F, I still see Z1 on expert flyer as well as a seat available on qantas, but the emirates site doesn't show any thing available.

Any one has any experiences with something similar to this?

Thanks
All over the old thread if you look.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ng-thread.html
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:00 pm
wdc

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
All over the old thread if you look.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ng-thread.html
I read about 50 pages of it from the back, but couldn't find anything... would really appreciate if you knew a date range that i should be looking in.

I called AS and they said they don't see it. Would I have to wait for expert flyer to show Z2 before calling again?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Search the thread for "expertflyer". It's not unusual for EK Z expertflyer to be off for AS at times.

If your seat is not showing on the AS site, you won't be able to book it.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:59 pm
wdc

yes that much I got. was mostly wondering if anyone's had experiences with Z=1 sticking around after booking 1 ticket and whether if it's phantom
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:10 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by wdc
yes that much I got. was mostly wondering if anyone's had experiences with Z=1 sticking around after booking 1 ticket and whether if it's phantom
More often than not, it's phantom. But once in awhile it's the real thing. It's frustrating. Some agents are better than others in finding the real deal. That's also frustrating. All you can do is call and ask.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

If there are 2 of us and only 1 seat, can 1 get the better seat and one get the lesser seat? Or is that not doable on the same reservation?
The agent cheerfully split our record so that we could get the better seat on one booking. I continue to search for a better seat for the second person. I expect that by the time we travel, I'll have it.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Question about availability for DXB-->MLE:

I'll be booking a flight soon using the new valuations and am not finding any F on that leg. It looks like there is up close,but not for 2017, which is when my travel is.

Is there evidence that this flight opens later then the SFO/lax--dxb A380 flights? F availability is wide open on them.
I recently flew SFO-DXB (stopover) DXB-MLE and also could not find availability in F for DXB-MLE. Luckily, J was available and I set EF alerts for 2 F seats, but it never triggered. Based on seatmap on day of flight it looked like F filled up. In retrospect, I should have set my EF alert for 1 seat as maybe EK released Z inventory on that flight one at a time. Oh well, J was fine for that segment.

And my wife and I were the only 2 pax in F for SFO-DXB, so having the entire A380 F cabin to ourselves was absolutely incredible! ^
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

If your seat is not showing on the AS site, you won't be able to book it.
This has not been my experience in several cases. Most recently, 2.5 weeks ago, I booked SFO-DXB (stop) DXB-SEZ for my son in J (who was formerly traveling as our nanny's lap infant). First leg was showing availability on AS site, complete trip was not. EF showed neither to be available. Figured it was still worth a call to AS, and the agent was able to ticket it. Other times I've found agents able to ticket awards that show on EF and not on AS.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by ps9a
This has not been my experience in several cases. Most recently, 2.5 weeks ago, I booked SFO-DXB (stop) DXB-SEZ for my son in J (who was formerly traveling as our nanny's lap infant). First leg was showing availability on AS site, complete trip was not. EF showed neither to be available. Figured it was still worth a call to AS, and the agent was able to ticket it. Other times I've found agents able to ticket awards that show on EF and not on AS.
So if neither EF nor AS show availability, are you saying that is totally irrelevant?
Is there anything that is useful to check on then?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
So if neither EF nor AS show availability, are you saying that is totally irrelevant?
you know it all depends on the luck of the draw. If you call AS and get an experienced agent and they tap into EK's system sometimes a seat will show up that wasn't there five minutes ago. it happens I have seen it happen.

So if one poster gets lucky and thinks it's a "work around" think twice.

Just saying
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
If neither shows available, I would just call and have a rep check. You just never know until you call!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
nope... that info is quite relevant... just not 100% accurate

Originally Posted by edgewood49

So if one poster gets lucky and thinks it's a "work around" think twice.

Just saying
I don't purport to have a "work around". Just trying to help others based on my experience.

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
If neither shows available, I would just call and have a rep check. You just never know until you call!
I've only ever had luck when the ex-USA segment shows availability somewhere (either EF or AS), and that's really the only time I call. I'm not interested in spending unnecessary time on the phone.

Connecting segments-- and I'm speaking from experience with DXB-MLE/SEZ/SIN/BKK, seem to be more readily available to agents than AS.com. IME, married segments and stopover inventory are quite unreliable on AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.