Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:14 am
wdc

Agree with ps9a, I've been able to book many seats that did not come up on the AS website. The problem is as SanDiego1K stated. Often it's hard to differentiate between an incompetent agent and truly lack of availability, so I guess the only way to find out is to keep calling
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by wdc
Agree with ps9a, I've been able to book many seats that did not come up on the AS website. The problem is as SanDiego1K stated. Often it's hard to differentiate between an incompetent agent and truly lack of availability, so I guess the only way to find out is to keep calling
Not sure if I would say " incompetent" rather I have found there are some new agents on board that are not quite as experienced. Remember having points does not give a right
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:36 pm

Has anyone else noticed that mixed-class availability seems to have vanished?

If I search my first leg, I can see first class
If I search my second leg with my first leg, I can only see biz.

Expertflyer shows Z available on that first flight and D available on the second

I was able to do this Sunday, but can't seem to do it today.

Anyone have any luck calling to get something like this fixed? AS told me twice over the phone they can't force it and are unable to (refusing?) to contact Emirates to work it through with them.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by paladin732

Expertflyer shows Z available on that first flight and D available on the second

Anyone have any luck calling to get something like this fixed? AS told me twice over the phone they can't force it and are unable to (refusing?) to contact Emirates to work it through with them.

If you call EK and tell them you are booking AS award then they will tell you to call AS.. Next time get the AS agents name
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
"Connecting segments-- and I'm speaking from experience with DXB-MLE/SEZ/SIN/BKK, seem to be more readily available to agents than AS.com. IME, married segments and stopover inventory are quite unreliable on AS. "
I totally agree with this.

Originally Posted by paladin732 View Post

Assuming you are not within the 60 days (from departure) so you can just cancel if it doesnt work; if you see F in your first leg, but when searching for first leg+2nd leg together, you do not see F but only see J available. I recommend you to book the J seat. Then right after booking, call AS immediately and tell them you want to upgrade your first leg to F. The rep should have no problem doing this and will tell you that it will cost you the F redemption rate for the entire trip (though your 2nd leg will be in J). I hope this makes sense...
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
"Connecting segments-- and I'm speaking from experience with DXB-MLE/SEZ/SIN/BKK, seem to be more readily available to agents than AS.com. IME, married segments and stopover inventory are quite unreliable on AS. "
I totally agree with this.

Originally Posted by paladin732 View Post

Assuming you are not within the 60 days (from departure) so you can just cancel if it doesnt work; if you see F in your first leg, but when searching for first leg+2nd leg together, you do not see F but only see J available. I recommend you to book the J seat. Then right after booking, call AS immediately and tell them you want to upgrade your first leg to F. The rep should have no problem doing this and will tell you that it will cost you the F redemption rate for the entire trip (though your 2nd leg will be in J). I hope this makes sense...

I can tell you I am seeing "phantom " availability aka AF on some EK flights
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
I only find EK availability on AS.com departing from North America.
Is there a reason that there isn't any availability from other countries like in Europe or am I only able to get that availability through an agent by phone?
Also, how many stopovers am I allowed other than DXB?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:31 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
Is there a reason that there isn't any availability from other countries like in Europe or am I only able to get that availability through an agent by phone?
All tickets must begin in or end in the US. Are you checking Europe - USA?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
All tickets must begin in or end in the US. Are you checking Europe - USA?
Didn't know about that restriction. Why do they have it in place?
I was actually checking Europe to some parts of Asia/Africa. Do they allow a stopover in Europe or elsewhere other than DXB?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:39 am

I was actually checking Europe to some parts of Asia/Africa. Do they allow a stopover in Europe or elsewhere other than DXB?

You can stop over in DXB going west to east of course you can do JFK to Milan. EK is more or less point to point
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Because AS doesn't actually fly outside the North American continent (save Hawaii), and thus they expect their membership to be predominantly based in the United States. They don't do zone-based charts either (the awards that are available are potentially different for each partner; for instance, at present AA awards to Australia aren't valid, even though AA flies there).

PS: the restriction is in the wiki, helpfully placed at the top of every page of this thread.

Originally Posted by edgewood49
You can stop over in DXB going west to east of course you can do JFK to Milan. EK is more or less point to point
Right. Generally AS doesn't allow stopovers for fifth freedom routes, they want them in the partner hub (for EK that's DXB, for CX that's HKG, and so on). Some people play the HUACA game and get them anyway, but that's obviously dependent on how well and how long you want to play that game.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:44 pm

How are you able to have an open jaw on a one-way award like the wiki says?
Wouldn't that be essentially a RT with an open-jaw because I thought open jaws are only applicable to RTs?

Update: Nevermind, I think I figured it out.

Last edited by MVF Trekker; Apr 11, 2016 at 12:37 pm
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:26 pm

Lounge Access with AS award ticket

I am at SIN waiting for a SIN-DXB-JFK AS award flight in First. We have been told that there is no lounge access. I know that there was a blip because of staff coding on the ticket a few months ago - but I have read reports of people being admitted in SIN before, so I am wondering if this is connected to the AS devaluation?..

Have folks had Emirates first class lounge access on AS tickets in the past few weeks? Most concerned about access in DXB.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Cloudwanderer
I am at SIN waiting for a SIN-DXB-JFK AS award flight in First. We have been told that there is no lounge access. I know that there was a blip because of staff coding on the ticket a few months ago - but I have read reports of people being admitted in SIN before, so I am wondering if this is connected to the AS devaluation?..

Have folks had Emirates first class lounge access on AS tickets in the past few weeks? Most concerned about access in DXB.
Now that's strange. I had lounge access in both SFO and DXB when flying in F 3 weeks ago, but that was pre-devaluation.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Sounder
Now that's strange. I had lounge access in both SFO and DXB when flying in F 3 weeks ago, but that was pre-devaluation.
Thanks for your response. Yup. Strange. It would be pretty bad if as well as doubling the necessary miles they devalued the experience. Sort of seems unnecessary. I'm hoping that this is an outpost blip and that things wouldn't have changed in DXB. The lounge attendants in SIN did make a couple of phone calls and were adamant that we didn't have access...

Did you have lounge access printed on your boarding card? Boarding passes that I have seen online often do (I obviously don't know if AS miles were used. ). Mine doesn't.

I also was given a meal voucher (we have a long transit). Did you get one printed automatically?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.