Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2016, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Do you have an EF subscription then?
Not sure what you mean. I just went on emirates.com and selected the flights I was interested in and checked to see if there was a seat selection page at some point in the booking process before the payment page...
Old May 15, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
ExpertFlyer subscription
Old May 16, 2016, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
ExpertFlyer subscription
Oh no. What does that get me?
Old May 16, 2016, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Rydad1
Oh no. What does that get me?
It allows you to set up seat alerts and flight availability alerts.

http://www.expertflyer.com/

Try the free trial to see more I suppose
Old May 16, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by paladin732
It allows you to set up seat alerts and flight availability alerts.

http://www.expertflyer.com/

Try the free trial to see more I suppose
I know this is further off topic but the free EF service allows users to view seat maps.
Old May 16, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA, AS, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd like to buy some miles and book an EK flight for 2 (already found availability). I was wondering is there a way to hold the reservationg similar to an AA award on other airlines. I've never used AS before.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by itsG
I'd like to buy some miles and book an EK flight for 2 (already found availability). I was wondering is there a way to hold the reservationg similar to an AA award on other airlines. I've never used AS before.
Nope there is no way to hold
Old May 17, 2016, 12:42 am

Programs: Currently: UA 1K | Previously: AS MVPG75K, SPG Gold, Kimpton IC, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Nope there is no way to hold
There is no way to "hold," but what I do is search for potential award trips, book them, and then cancel them if I end up not taking them. If you're MVPG+ you get your entire balance of points and fees back, save for the $25 partner booking fee.
Old May 17, 2016, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by felixmendelssohn
There is no way to "hold," but what I do is search for potential award trips, book them, and then cancel them if I end up not taking them. If you're MVPG+ you get your entire balance of points and fees back, save for the $25 partner booking fee.
That's what everyone gets now outside 60 days of departure but won't help the person asking who had no AS miles and is planning on paying an obscene amount of money to buy the points (watch it be phantom space)
Old May 17, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by CDKing
That's what everyone gets now outside 60 days of departure but won't help the person asking who had no AS miles and is planning on paying an obscene amount of money to buy the points (watch it be phantom space)
I have seen phantom seats many times in the past six to eight months keep hitting it.

As for "obscene" amount of points while I agree we were all spoiled before if one looks around at other reward charts for a similar long haul flights it not so "obscene" Not saying I am happy with the deval. AS flyers had a window that got shut tight. I was able to do two r/t's fc to africa and happy for that.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by itsG
I know this is redundant but, if you haven't already, do some reading. AS hasn't been looking too kindly on non active/ flying accounts that are just loading up with miles and doing redemption's. Caveat Emptor.
Old May 17, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Madone59
I know this is redundant but, if you haven't already, do some reading. AS hasn't been looking too kindly on non active/ flying accounts that are just loading up with miles and doing redemption's. Caveat Emptor.
Really? I was not aware. Their aggressive selling of miles to all members would seem to suggest otherwise.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Madone59
Where is this info coming from? And have they done anything about it? I mean they allow you to purchase an unlimited amount of miles (in 40k miles per transaction I believe) so what do they expect?
Old May 17, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by Rydad1
Where is this info coming from? And have they done anything about it? I mean they allow you to purchase an unlimited amount of miles (in 40k miles per transaction I believe) so what do they expect?
Last summer AS became aggressive with shutting down accounts for various reasons. From my recollection it included:

1) opening 3+ AS credit card accounts at once
2) opening an AS credit card account, pocketing the bonus, and cancelling before paying the annual
Fee
3) buying a large amount of miles followed by soon after booking a premium partner award flight for someone else besides the account holder
4) transferring miles from SPG to AS followed by making a premium partner award booking

I haven't heard about too much since then... Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:34 am

Spot on Bretmd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.