Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by alvias
I am boardin on an Emirates flight in a hour. When I checked in on my Alaska award business flight to Beijing through Dubai. I was told I would not have access to the lounge in Dubai and was given a meal voucher. Have this happened to anyone else, I mean get a meal voucher and get told no lounge? Is there anything I can an do?

Other information, it's from SFO to Dubai to Beijing. I got in to the SFO lounge just fine.
You should be able to access the business lounge in DXB just fine
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I've got couple of questions on a booking for next summer. I want to wind up (eventually) with SAT-DFW/ORD/CLT-JFK-MXP(stopover)-DXB-CMB, all on a single ticket, for 4 pax. So I grab JFK-MXP-DXB as soon as it shows up, then call and change the date of my MXP-DXB flight and add on DXB-CMB. Simple enough, right? Anything I'm missing there?

Will I have any trouble adding on the SAT-XXX-NYC award on AA as part of the same ticket? AA probably won't open space until at least a few days after I make my initial booking.

I have no concerns about interline baggage as we don't check bags, but I'd like to be all on one PNR & ticket if at all possible, in case of impossible schedule changes and/or IRROPS.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Will I have any trouble adding on the SAT-XXX-NYC award on AA as part of the same ticket? AA probably won't open space until at least a few days after I make my initial booking.
I do not believe that you can combine AA and EK on an AS issued ticket. From the wiki, Only AS and EK can be used for the award.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I do not believe that you can combine AA and EK on an AS issued ticket. From the wiki, Only AS and EK can be used for the award.
AS award yes AA no
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Will I have any trouble adding on the SAT-XXX-NYC award on AA as part of the same ticket?
You'll have huge trouble. Can't mix AA and EK on a single AS award. The only possible way to book that would be SAT-SEA-JFK on AS (redeye with approximately 0% chance of getting 4 F seats on the same flight, I would be pleasantly surprised if you could get 4 saver Y seats- odds are good you won't get 4 combined F/Y seats for the SEA-JFK segments and this would be a wild goose chase, or you'd have to buy cash tickets/get separate awards for some of your party).

I'd like to be all on one PNR & ticket if at all possible, in case of impossible schedule changes and/or IRROPS.
In your situation I'd fly SEA-NYC the night before on separate tickets, hole up somewhere, and fly the AS award the next day. Sucks to have to do positioning flights but that is the drawback of living in an outstation for AS and wanting to redeem EK for that particular itinerary. There's just simply WAY more AS inventory for F/Y on SEA-SFO/LAX (many many daily flights) if you need to hit a gateway than SEA-SAT-JFK (one daily for both).

That or I'd just skip the European trip and drive to IAH/DFW and redeem there (or get a cheap WN flight). This would get you to CMB.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 19, 2016 at 8:01 pm
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You'll have huge trouble. Can't mix AA and EK on a single AS award. The only possible way to book that would be SAT-SEA-JFK on AS (redeye with approximately 0% chance of getting 4 F seats on the same flight, I would be pleasantly surprised if you could get 4 saver Y seats- odds are good you won't get 4 combined F/Y seats for the SEA-JFK segments and this would be a wild goose chase, or you'd have to buy cash tickets/get separate awards for some of your party).
Thanks guys! I know it can't be all one award, but is there any chance it can be a single multi-city (and multi-award) ticket? Like 100K total per pax for SAT-JFK in Y and JFK-CMB in J?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks guys! I know it can't be all one award, but is there any chance it can be a single multi-city (and multi-award) ticket? Like 100K total per pax for SAT-JFK in Y and JFK-CMB in J?
No. Alaska does not allow mixed partners on one award ticket. It will be two awards and tickets for each passenger.

They might be able to do a single PNR with multiple tickets, but that isn't going to help you on IRROPS. EK is going to LOL if you say "but AS put us all in one PNR, you need to help us because AA was late!"

My recommendation is still "if you're nervous about IRROPS and schedule changes, fly in to NYC the night before". That or book QR/EY using AA miles, that would cover your AA flights all on one ticket. But AS awards don't work the way you want them to.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 19, 2016 at 8:34 pm
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
No Emirates Partner Award Availability

It looks like all Emirates awards have been removed from Alaska's site as of today. Wonder what's going on?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Nehawk
It looks like all Emirates awards have been removed from Alaska's site as of today. Wonder what's going on?
No idea, I was seeing a ton yesterday. Wish BA would disappear temporarily
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Nehawk
Just received this response form AS:

There is a temporary issue with our website. Our developers are aware and are working to resolve this quickly.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Just received this response form AS:

There is a temporary issue with our website. Our developers are aware and are working to resolve this quickly.
If that was indeed the case, wouldn't phone agents be able to book the space? I generally take what Twitter reps say with a grain of salt.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
If that was indeed the case, wouldn't phone agents be able to book the space? I generally take what Twitter reps say with a grain of salt.
This wasn't from a Twitter rep.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:28 pm

Back in Jan I booked DFW-DXB-BOM for my Dec trip, I wanted to book from MCI but it was giving me MCI-SEA-DXB-BOM so I booked it other one. DFW-DXB I have in business but later was not available. Couple of question:
-Can I add MCI-DFW in AA? (I think it has to be through only one partner airline - could not be possible but wanted to make sure)
-Can I upgrade later part in business, I booked it before March, do I need to pay extra miles?

Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
This wasn't from a Twitter rep.
I appreciate you're trying to push your lame little blog and pretend like you have some high-level contacts at Alaska, but that's clearly not the case as they've provided the verbatim same response to dozens of people on Twitter.
I'll wait for confirmation from someone with real information.

Last edited by invalyd; Jul 1, 2016 at 2:40 pm
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by mak101
Back in Jan I booked DFW-DXB-BOM for my Dec
-Can I add MCI-DFW in AA? (I think it has to be through only one partner airline - could not be possible but wanted to make sure)
No, you can only add AS flights.

Originally Posted by mak101
Back in Jan I booked DFW-DXB-BOM for my Dec
-Can I upgrade later part in business, I booked it before March, do I need to pay extra miles?
Yes, but you will need to call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.