Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:45 pm

Thanks for quick reply.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
I appreciate you're trying to push your lame little blog and pretend like you have some high-level contacts at Alaska, but that's clearly not the case as they've provided the verbatim same response to dozens of people on Twitter.
I'll wait for confirmation from someone with real information.
Cool. Sounds good.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:42 pm

Emirates award tickets are bookable once again.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Emirates award tickets are bookable once again.
Yep booked as well yet another blogger trying to get "Hits"
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Yep booked as well yet another blogger trying to get "Hits"
OMAAT? Not sure what you mean exactly.

Last edited by Single_Flyer; Jul 1, 2016 at 9:58 pm
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:07 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Talking about bloggers is akin to feeding the trolls. Silence, in such cases, is golden.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
OMAAT? Not sure what you mean exactly.
Yea in this case. Last time it was gleff. Both went to town claiming things were fact before actually verifying it's factually correct. Only to find out just after posting it was completely inaccurate.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by CDKing
Yea in this case. Last time it was gleff. Both went to town claiming things were fact before actually verifying it's factually correct. Only to find out just after posting it was completely inaccurate.
This happens once or twice a year... IT issues lead to Emirates award space temporarily unavailable on Alaskas website, and the pitchforks and torches come out as if the world has turned upside down.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bretmd
This happens once or twice a year... IT issues lead to Emirates award space temporarily unavailable on Alaskas website, and the pitchforks and torches come out as if the world has turned upside down.
Now that was great !!^^^^^
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:57 am

Yesterday, Emirates has removed the return of the A380 on the Dallas route. So heads up for those that were expecting it to return starting September. Returns on 3/26/2017 schedules but I'd be weary of that staying on the books. Not a big surprise, but I had a booking for November. <heads down, kicks rocks>
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TrAAveller
Yesterday, Emirates has removed the return of the A380 on the Dallas route. So heads up for those that were expecting it to return starting September. Returns on 3/26/2017 schedules but I'd be weary of that staying on the books. Not a big surprise, but I had a booking for November. <heads down, kicks rocks>
I had a booking for Sep 2. I don't suppose Alaska or Emirates will allow an origin change due to this.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Nehawk
I had a booking for Sep 2. I don't suppose Alaska or Emirates will allow an origin change due to this.
I highly highly doubt it. Alaska can't open seats on another route that aren't already there and EK will just laugh at the request. Best chance you have is a waived change fee IF you find open seats departing another city but even that is slim because aircraft type is never an guarantee on any flight/ ticket. Just ask anyone who's flown TG

Last edited by Madone59; Jul 26, 2016 at 9:34 am
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Madone59
I highly highly doubt it. Alaska can't open seats on another route that aren't already there and EK will just laugh at the request. Best chance you have is a waived change fee IF you find open seats departing another city but even that is slim because aircraft type is never an guarantee on any flight/ ticket. Just ask anyone who's flown TG
I called for the heck of it. They of course tried to charge me additional miles and a change fee. I had already used my "one-time change" to the award by upgrading one of the segments from business to first so I didn't push much for another change without a mileage upgrade.

I don't think I'd want to pay the change fee at this point either. I'll save that $125 for high tea at Burj Al Arab .

If anyone else tries contacting Alaska about an award change due to this I'm interested to hear back!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Nehawk
If anyone else tries contacting Alaska about an award change due to this I'm interested to hear back!
I don't think anyone will report a similar result. Just because we on FT work, plan and tinker our reservations around every detail a particular aircraft is not guaranteed. The only time I have successfully changed a reservation because of a A/C change was a paid United ticket which also had small schedule change. The CRJ700 was replaced with a CRJ200 so I asked to be moved XXX-EWR-ROC to via IAD. I don't know if it was because the agent could accommodate me under the schedule change umbrella, or because of made a good pitch for not wanting to be on a CRJ200 but it got done.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Damn, very disappointing re: A380 DXB-DFW. I too used my free change already to do a date change, so now I'm sure they will want more miles if I change to another city.

On top of that, I'm flying on 3/26, which is the first day the A380 is back on the schedule, though like an earlier poster said, I'm very doubtful that will actually stay on the schedule. Hoping that a agent will understand my A380 motivation and allow the change is not possible, since its still scheduled for an A380!

Oh well...bigger problems have been had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.