Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Did you do the change on the Alaska website or the Emirates website? The change would need to be done via Alaska as the ticket is issued on their stock. That might be indeed what you did, but I was unaware it could be done online. If so, this is very interesting information.
Yep, via AS website. Was mind-numbingly simple.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a
I've done this is in the past on both the AS website and with AS agents, but it's definitely no guarantee that either will work. Glad it worked out for you, and have a great trip!
So maybe there is an xx% chance that certain flight combinations do not actually become married segments?
Old May 31, 2016, 9:40 am
wdc

from my somewhat limited experience, changing via the website always lets you keep your existing legs. did you book pre devaluation? If so, the website will charge you the increase in miles
Old May 31, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by paladin732
Yep, via AS website. Was mind-numbingly simple.
here is food for thought, remember EK is based a half awhile apart so their time difference has an effect and when they load/update seats. It can be frustrating but that's something we have to understand.
Old May 31, 2016, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by wdc
from my somewhat limited experience, changing via the website always lets you keep your existing legs. did you book pre devaluation? If so, the website will charge you the increase in miles
Yea, the website made me choose to change both, but a bunch of options kept my first leg (which is what I wanted).

I booked post-deval, so no mileage charge change.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Have people had an easy time calling in to get the courtesy 1 time change for Emirates awards that were booked pre devaluation? I may have to do it since my damn travel tour operator changed the dates on an upcoming trip for me.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Have people had an easy time calling in to get the courtesy 1 time change for Emirates awards that were booked pre devaluation? I may have to do it since my damn travel tour operator changed the dates on an upcoming trip for me.
You should be fine, be nice remind them of the one time change i'd like to take advantage of the one time change allowance"

Should work after all they are on " our side"
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Yes, its pretty easy. The international phone agents made the adjustment but they require you to contact the Customer Service Center (during their open hours) to manually adjust the mileage so it doesn't require the newer limits. Presummably at this point they note your record of this one-time change. The original phone agent was able to put the itinerary changes on hold until the customer service center opened the next morning. I had to call back in to Customer Service to request the adjustment. I saved my one change to add my "free Alaska one-way" prior to my EK segments as well as an EK award change date. (ANC-SEA-DFW; DFW-DXB-EBB all in First with a 5 month stop at DFW).
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:03 pm
wdc

Has anyone tried to make more than one change? After the one-time courtesy change, my bookings now reflects the post-devaluation mileage, so the next change shouldn't need to go back to customer service.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by wdc
Has anyone tried to make more than one change? After the one-time courtesy change, my bookings now reflects the post-devaluation mileage, so the next change shouldn't need to go back to customer service.
if you change again you will be hit with increase in miles requirement
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by edgewood49
if you change again you will be hit with increase in miles requirement
Is this based on your experience?

When you request a courtesy change they deposit an extra 60k in your account and the fare is listed as having paid 150k, I believe OP is asking if he could refund the 150k online and buy another 150k ticket, which seems like it could be done in theory, though obviously involves some risk.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Is this based on your experience?
When you request a courtesy change they deposit an extra 60k in your account and the fare is listed as having paid 150k, so I think OP's question is still valid.
There's a chance he could refund the 150k online and buy another 150k ticket as many times as he wants, of course I doubt many people have tried this.
So if I read the first post was regarding a one time change for reservations under the old reward chart and if you went back again then I answered AS would then use the new award chart to pay.

IF your changing apples to apples then no there is no charge and yes I have done this before with no up charge.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by edgewood49
So if I read the first post was regarding a one time change for reservations under the old reward chart and if you went back again then I answered AS would then use the new award chart to pay.

IF your changing apples to apples then no there is no charge and yes I have done this before with no up charge.
right, so you don't have an answer to the question.

also curious to know this myself, if anyone else has any data points on making a 2nd change to a pre-deval booking.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:12 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by invalyd
right, so you don't have an answer to the question.

also curious to know this myself, if anyone else has any data points on making a 2nd change to a pre-deval booking.
No but given the people that view this thread if there was a contra opinion you would have heard it. My suggestion is call AS and ask them, pretty simple. And you don't have to give your name or #ss!!!!!!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Question on lounge access for flight today

I am boarding on an Emirates flight in a hour. When I checked in on my Alaska award business flight to Beijing through Dubai. I was told I would not have access to the lounge in Dubai and was given a meal voucher. Have this happened to anyone else, I mean get a meal voucher and get told no lounge? Is there anything I can an do?

Other information, it's from SFO to Dubai to Beijing. I got in to the SFO lounge just fine.

Last edited by alvias; Jun 8, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.