Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Madone59
Spot on Bretmd
I also think there is a case for this and for one hope so. I tired of the bloggers and scammer ruining something that is met to reward us that are loyal and fly a lot.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I also think there is a case for this and for one hope so. I tired of the bloggers and scammer ruining something that is met to reward us that are loyal and fly a lot.
I'm not sure that Alaska's Mileage Plan exists primarily to reward those "that are loyal and fly a lot." Granted, making this subset of flyers feel special can entice them to continue flying AS. And some flyers will remain loyal to an airline because that airline makes them feel feel valued. On the other end of the spectrum, some fly an airline simply because it is the most convenient given their flying patterns from their home airport--they'd prefer not to connect en-route to their final destination.

It would be quite easy to only allow elite flyers to buy AS miles. More drastically, AS could quit selling miles at such attractive prices to all flyers. They could even end the SPG/AS transfer partnership and torch their BAC credit card partnership.

Any and all of these actions would make elite status more valuable on AS and please the subset of AS flyers that doesn't like sharing it's mileage program with card spenders/churners and mile buyers.

Alas, they're not going to take any of these actions, because the money they make selling miles to BAC, SPG, and members directly more than offsets the annoyance of flyers who earn all of their miles from flying.

15 years ago, it was difficult to amass large mileage balances without airline loyalty. Today, it's quite easy.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ps9a
...AS could quit selling miles at such attractive prices to all flyers....
They sell them at 2.2cpm which AFAIK is the same across other major airlines. The price of the mile wasn't attractive, the redemption(s) are/ were.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
They sell them at 2.2cpm which AFAIK is the same across other major airlines. The price of the mile wasn't attractive, the redemption(s) are/ were.
I can currently buy 90k per transaction for less than 2cpm.

My Order
Purchase Information
Number of Miles 60,000 miles
Bonus Miles 30,000 bonus Miles
Total Miles 90,000 miles
Cost of Miles $1,650.00 USD
Tax Recovery Fee $123.75 USD
Total $1,773.75 USD

2cpm is not all that different from other airlines, so if you're making a semantic argument, I guess I could say that Alaska could start selling miles at "less attractive" prices... or simply "ugly" prices. If that's better, please mentally cut/paste. My argument, however, is that Alaska is selling miles, because they can make money doing it. And then they raised prices on EK alone-- possibly EK raised monetary rates on AS for their redemptions... possibly EK threated to end their partnership... possibly EK just voiced frustration with the number of people sitting up front on AS awards.

All of that is noise. I strongly believe their decision to raise EK awards had nothing to do with Alaska and their relationships with their most loyal flyers and everything to do with the finances and future of their relationship with EK.

Last edited by ps9a; May 18, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Old May 18, 2016, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a
I'm not sure that Alaska's Mileage Plan exists primarily to reward those "that are loyal and fly a lot." Granted, making this subset of flyers feel special can entice them to continue flying AS. And some flyers will remain loyal to an airline because that airline makes them feel feel valued. On the other end of the spectrum, some fly an airline simply because it is the most convenient given their flying patterns from their home airport--they'd prefer not to connect en-route to their final destination.

It would be quite easy to only allow elite flyers to buy AS miles. More drastically, AS could quit selling miles at such attractive prices to all flyers. They could even end the SPG/AS transfer partnership and torch their BAC credit card partnership.

Any and all of these actions would make elite status more valuable on AS and please the subset of AS flyers that doesn't like sharing it's mileage program with card spenders/churners and mile buyers.

Alas, they're not going to take any of these actions, because the money they make selling miles to BAC, SPG, and members directly more than offsets the annoyance of flyers who earn all of their miles from flying.

15 years ago, it was difficult to amass large mileage balances without airline loyalty. Today, it's quite easy.
I disagree with your opening statement "primary " since the inception of the FF programs the intent was to reward their FF'ers as well as attract new ones as well. At least that was the beginning, I am dating myself here. As far as "upsetting" most loyal AS flyers I would also submit that it is the decorum or integrity of the program that at least for me is important. Yes I do fly AS on average at 85K to 100K a year and that is 99% up front paid for. So yes I do expect some "special" treatment and I generally get it. I do have to say that that extra treatment today is not what it was several years ago as AS has grown.

But as it is things are changing but still the bloggers and scammers did play a role in the decision as has and is in other programs. Frankly I wish it would all go back to the original format, revenue based. That would end all this crap.

And if one has a AMEX PLT their two for one is a great deal
Old May 18, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: Currently: UA 1K | Previously: AS MVPG75K, SPG Gold, Kimpton IC, HH Gold

And if one has a AMEX PLT their two for one is a great deal
Admittedly the wrong place to ask this. But can you be more specific on the Amex Plat good deal? I have one and I can't figure out if it's worth it. Are you referring to the buy-2-full-fare-tickets-for-price-of-1-full-fare deal? That always struck me as a bad deal, as one can get discounted premium tickets. (Or so I thought...)
Old May 18, 2016, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
The Problem is AS doesn't have an annual cap on purchasing miles like any other carrier. Its harder to abuse other programs. If you had enough credit cards, money and time you could buy millions of miles a year.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by felixmendelssohn
Admittedly the wrong place to ask this. But can you be more specific on the Amex Plat good deal? I have one and I can't figure out if it's worth it. Are you referring to the buy-2-full-fare-tickets-for-price-of-1-full-fare deal? That always struck me as a bad deal, as one can get discounted premium tickets. (Or so I thought...)
Actually you can get the 2 for 1 with discounted f/biz I am booking one now

will let you know the outcome
Old May 19, 2016, 2:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

will let you know the outcome
Please include airline, route, booking class, fare, taxes and fees. Thank you.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Please include airline, route, booking class, fare, taxes and fees. Thank you.
booked waiting for conformation. Roughly 8K two biz seats SFO-DXB-CPT
Old May 19, 2016, 11:07 pm

booked waiting for conformation. Roughly 8K two biz seats SFO-DXB-CPT
I've never found a two for one deal worth purchasing with the AMEX Platinum.

On two occasions this year, I've booked two business class seats on AF/KL: YVR-AMS-CPT-CDG-YVR for less than $2,300 USD per ticket.

Last edited by flytoeat; May 19, 2016 at 11:25 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 4:55 pm

Question about married segments:

My understanding is that EK award travel on AS uses married segments. From what I understand this means if you change one leg you must change the flight(and hope availability exists for the leg you didn't want to change). The Alaska website forces this when doing a flight change. That said I hit some odd behavior :

I have a flight in Feb from SFO--DXB(layover 4 days)--MLE that I had booked in First for the A380 and business for the MLE leg.

Today, Expertflyer gave me notice that first opened on the leg to MLE. Doing a search on their website, no first was available in SFO, but was from LAX. I figured I would just take a positioning flight, so I went ahead to the change flight interface.

One of my options actually kept my SFO leg in first, despite the website showing no availability on that leg, and Expertflyer showing the same. It let me confirm this. How is this possible? I actually just logged in and checked, and of the options if I were to change again, it still lets me keep that SFO flight without seats available.

I've confirmed on EK that the rebooking went fine. So what gives? Is EK now allowing splitting segments again?
Old May 30, 2016, 6:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by paladin732
I have a flight in Feb from SFO--DXB(layover 4 days)--MLE that I had booked in First for the A380 and business for the MLE leg.

Today, Expertflyer gave me notice that first opened on the leg to MLE. Doing a search on their website, no first was available in SFO, but was from LAX. I figured I would just take a positioning flight, so I went ahead to the change flight interface.

One of my options actually kept my SFO leg in first, despite the website showing no availability on that leg, and Expertflyer showing the same. It let me confirm this. How is this possible? I actually just logged in and checked, and of the options if I were to change again, it still lets me keep that SFO flight without seats available.

I've confirmed on EK that the rebooking went fine. So what gives? Is EK now allowing splitting segments again?
Did you do the change on the Alaska website or the Emirates website? The change would need to be done via Alaska as the ticket is issued on their stock. That might be indeed what you did, but I was unaware it could be done online. If so, this is very interesting information.
Old May 30, 2016, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Did you do the change on the Alaska website or the Emirates website? The change would need to be done via Alaska as the ticket is issued on their stock. That might be indeed what you did, but I was unaware it could be done online. If so, this is very interesting information.
Can not be done other than AS website or AS staff
Old May 30, 2016, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by paladin732
Question about married segments:

My understanding is that EK award travel on AS uses married segments. From what I understand this means if you change one leg you must change the flight(and hope availability exists for the leg you didn't want to change). The Alaska website forces this when doing a flight change. That said I hit some odd behavior :

I've done this is in the past on both the AS website and with AS agents, but it's definitely no guarantee that either will work. Glad it worked out for you, and have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.