FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)
Old May 30, 2016, 8:36 pm
ps9a

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by paladin732
Question about married segments:

My understanding is that EK award travel on AS uses married segments. From what I understand this means if you change one leg you must change the flight(and hope availability exists for the leg you didn't want to change). The Alaska website forces this when doing a flight change. That said I hit some odd behavior :

I have a flight in Feb from SFO--DXB(layover 4 days)--MLE that I had booked in First for the A380 and business for the MLE leg.

Today, Expertflyer gave me notice that first opened on the leg to MLE. Doing a search on their website, no first was available in SFO, but was from LAX. I figured I would just take a positioning flight, so I went ahead to the change flight interface.

One of my options actually kept my SFO leg in first, despite the website showing no availability on that leg, and Expertflyer showing the same. It let me confirm this. How is this possible? I actually just logged in and checked, and of the options if I were to change again, it still lets me keep that SFO flight without seats available.

I've confirmed on EK that the rebooking went fine. So what gives? Is EK now allowing splitting segments again?
I've done this is in the past on both the AS website and with AS agents, but it's definitely no guarantee that either will work. Glad it worked out for you, and have a great trip!