Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dayone
That is not a universal opinion.
What, you mean people don't like loud drunks partying when they're trying to sleep?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:43 am

Are the EK seatmaps, when chosing a seat, RELEVANT enough? Does it truely represents how full my flight will be? Or an almost "empty" seatmap won't mean that my flight will be ...empty?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by westw
Are the EK seatmaps, when chosing a seat, RELEVANT enough? Does it truely represents how full my flight will be? Or an almost "empty" seatmap won't mean that my flight will be ...empty?
One assumes that any seat map at that moment in time reflects which seats are available for selection. Not sure why an airline would show seats open when their computer knows their sold.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by westw
All airline seat maps are imperfect, and EK is no exception. I don't doubt that open seats are shown as open, but you can never rely on seat maps to show how many seats are or aren't booked.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Nehawk
I was thinking of giving this a shot as well when arriving at DXB in a few weeks. Doesn't look like I'll have much luck!
I have read and heard of others who did get lucky, so I'd always give it a shot.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:59 am

So I luckily booked a one way first class award from JFK-DEL via EK on 3/27/16 for a 2/20/17 flight for 90,000 AS miles, knowing full well I could change the ticket without any fees. Lucky for me this was before the unannounced devaluation.

I need to change my ticket however and haven't been getting anywhere with AS customer service reps. There doesn't seem to be any award availability to Del via AS, and any change to the destination will change the award redemption from 90,000 miles to 150,000 miles. If I'm able to find a flight to Delhi I'll be able to make the one time change w/ no add'l miles needed.

There are plenty of award flights to Mumbai, but no EK flights to Del, only British Airways.

I'm able to see (Z) first class avails on Expert Flyer to Dubai on 3/4 from JFK, and I'm able to find a 3/6 economy flight (x partner award availability) to Delhi on 3/6. Should the agent be able to see this award availability? I have up until Dec 20th to make the change, but I've been checking daily and haven't found any EK award avails to Del.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bananastand1984
So I luckily booked a one way first class award from JFK-DEL via EK on 3/27/16 for a 2/20/17 flight for 90,000 AS miles, knowing full well I could change the ticket without any fees. Lucky for me this was before the unannounced devaluation.

I need to change my ticket however and haven't been getting anywhere with AS customer service reps. There doesn't seem to be any award availability to Del via AS, and any change to the destination will change the award redemption from 90,000 miles to 150,000 miles. If I'm able to find a flight to Delhi I'll be able to make the one time change w/ no add'l miles needed.

There are plenty of award flights to Mumbai, but no EK flights to Del, only British Airways.

I'm able to see (Z) first class avails on Expert Flyer to Dubai on 3/4 from JFK, and I'm able to find a 3/6 economy flight (x partner award availability) to Delhi on 3/6. Should the agent be able to see this award availability? I have up until Dec 20th to make the change, but I've been checking daily and haven't found any EK award avails to Del.
It doesn't matter what you see on EF; AS took away agent ability to use shortcuts after people abused it. What you see on the AS website is what you get.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It doesn't matter what you see on EF; AS took away agent ability to use shortcuts after people abused it. What you see on the AS website is what you get.
I've had different experiences... as recently as last week. AS website has bugs-- particularly when it comes to changing tickets. Definitely doesn't hurt to call and ask if they can see what you do on Expertflyer.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:50 pm

Thanks @eponymous_coward & @ps9a that's helpful.

Curious why I was able to book an award on that route to Del, but now it doesn't look like there is any availability at all on that route at all for weeks in either direction via the AS website.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ps9a
I've had different experiences... as recently as last week. AS website has bugs-- particularly when it comes to changing tickets. Definitely doesn't hurt to call and ask if they can see what you do on Expertflyer.
OP said "haven't been getting anywhere with AS customer service reps", so that sort of assumes there's been phone calls, no?

There were well-documented shortcuts that existed a while back, but those went away (AS reps have been told by management NOT to do manual/long sells of EK award inventory after this got publicized as a workaround on FT/blogs and EK told AS to knock it off- the details are buried somewhere in the old EK award thread, probably).

So if it's not there on the website and AS reps aren't seeing it using their tools (which are generally based off of the website), it's not going to happen. Whether or not there's Z or X on EF is irrelevant. OP can play HUCA I suppose but there's no magic wand of "make my award appear for me" here.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:04 pm

Bananastand1984 you just need to wait until you get closer. AS can not and will not open seats for any of us.

I did something similar booking far out, waiting for my 1 change. It's all part of the risk/ game/ fun
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:35 pm

@madone59 seems like AS has solid award space on EK through 2/19/17 to DEL, I'm crossing my fingers they open up for 3/4 soon, although I've been checking for the past 3 months with no luck. Do you have any add'l information as to when they might open up award space on EK? I'm 197 days out, which is still a decent amount of time. I have 137 days for them to open it before I have to cancel the ticket.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:36 pm

Thanks @eponymous_coward that's helpful, I wasn't aware those shortcuts existed back in the day.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bananastand1984
Do you have any add'l information as to when they might open up award space on EK? I'm 197 days out, which is still a decent amount of time. I have 137 days for them to open it before I have to cancel the ticket.
None, sorry. I'm newish to AS. If you can't stomach the risk the award seat game is a hard one to enjoy, sorry mate. If it makes you feel better my wife and I went to Thailand a few years ago without flights home (See trip report below) . Have you looked at other US departure cities and just positioning?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:38 am

@madone59 I have not, but I feel like I'm going to deal with the same issues of changing my ticket since the departure airport would then change (or does that not matter?) JFK seems to have a bunch of flights, I'm hoping AS gets their .... together and opens up that award space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.