Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by bgriff
Has anyone actually tried to book an EK award on AS.com lately to see if AS is truly showing phantom space? It appears that new space is showing up on AS.com (at the end of the calendar) so it seems like AS.com is not completely out of the loop -- maybe EF is the wrong party here?
I just booked 2F seats IAH-DXB-SIN on Tuesday. Just checked Manage MY Booking on Emirates site - chose my seats. It is all good!

My trip is late July.

Last edited by Pulley; Oct 14, 2015 at 2:57 pm Reason: Add info
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pulley
I just booked 2F seats IAH-DXB-SIN on Tuesday. Just checked Manage MY Booking on Emirates site - chose my seats. It is all good!
My trip is late July.
^
Did you happen to check EF prior to booking and if so, did your flights show Z2?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:54 pm

It is odd that the AS calendar keeps getting updated if the space has indeed been pulled. I need to book a DFW-DXB-MLE flight in F for the third weekend in September next year and have been checking daily for the space to open up and every day on AS a day or two gets added. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has been able to secure tickets.

One thing I have noticed is that up until August 31st on AS the DXB-MLE segment is wide open in J for all flight times. Starting September 1st all I see for that segment is Y, with a random flights here or there in J.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I've seen multiple business awards available on DFW-DOH after that date, but we can take any further discussion to the AA or QR forums if desired so as not to derail this thread.
Can you pm me examples and did you use AA res or BA site to find? Id appreciate your help since my African trip is in jeopardy given AS/EK issue.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Interesting.

Looking at DFW-DXB next spring.

Expert flyer does not show any first at all.
EK site shows first at 115k and serious charges $700 or so for flights.
AS shows fair availability. Some with $20 charges EK, some at $500+ on BA.

So, I just went to AS and attempted a 1st class ticket DFW-DXB on EK. Got all the way to where give your credit card. Seems okay. Not sure if it would still go through if I entered card or not actually book.

Not able to book both of us yet (miles), so can not pull the trigger yet, but concerned.
That's as far as one can get. One more click and phantom availability will show itself, unless EF shows space.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Can you pm me examples and did you use AA res or BA site to find? Id appreciate your help since my African trip is in jeopardy given AS/EK issue.
BA, as QR awards don't show on AA.com, although most of what I saw was after July (check August 16th as an example DFW-DOH on a QR 777, currently 4 business awards available that day)
Old Oct 14, 2015, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I know you can change awards outside the 60 day window at no charge. Can I change a partner (EK) from biz to 1st without charge? Or do they cancel and charge you $125 to cancel it.

Assuming seats are available, and of course paying the difference.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by SFO777
^
Did you happen to check EF prior to booking and if so, did your flights show Z2?
No I didn't, I must have got lucky. This is third time I have booked EK F seats and not had a problem.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pulley
No I didn't, I must have got lucky. This is third time I have booked EK F seats and not had a problem.
AMAZING, but I'm still not convinced. 4 F awards DARDXBJNB on Aug 24? I'm not even going to both clicking through. Been there done that. Phantom.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
BA, as QR awards don't show on AA.com, although most of what I saw was after July (check August 16th as an example DFW-DOH on a QR 777, currently 4 business awards available that day)
Huge help. I can see that. Unfortunately, DOHJFK/BOS/PHL still nothing entire month of Aug (per awardnexus using BA tool).
Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:41 am

AS just updated the award calendar for the Sept. 10th, 2016. No F or J award space showing for EK.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ILGfly
AS just updated the award calendar for the Sept. 10th, 2016. No F or J award space showing for EK.
I've monitored EK seats for a while and EK doesn't release premium seats at the opening of the schedule. It does change quite often. Sometime EK will have premium award seats for one week but non in next week. This is especially true for LAX and SFO route. Some routes are more predicable such as DFW which it's fairly easy to see 2F on every day when the schedule opens.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by thebluejean
I've monitored EK seats for a while and EK doesn't release premium seats at the opening of the schedule. It does change quite often. Sometime EK will have premium award seats for one week but non in next week. This is especially true for LAX and SFO route. Some routes are more predicable such as DFW which it's fairly easy to see 2F on every day when the schedule opens.
Have read any of the last three pages of this thread? D and Z space has disappeared everywhere for all dates. Go look on EF.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by ILGfly
Have read any of the last three pages of this thread? D and Z space has disappeared everywhere for all dates. Go look on EF.
I find multiple dates in early April 2016 with business and first seats available, but I haven't tried booking them.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by bgriff
Has anyone actually tried to book an EK award on AS.com lately to see if AS is truly showing phantom space? It appears that new space is showing up on AS.com (at the end of the calendar) so it seems like AS.com is not completely out of the loop -- maybe EF is the wrong party here?
I booked F for HKG-DXB-SFO next August within the past 2 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.