Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
My understanding is that you can cancel but you will lose the $12.50 fee. I don't believe this is refundable but I could be wrong.

In terms of LAX, where is your starting point?

I recently booked SEA-LAX (AS), LAX-DXB (EK), stopover for 3 days then DXB-BKK (EK) all in First for 100,000 miles.

http://singleflyer.com/2015/10/01/ar...-alaska-miles/

I am not actually making a stop over in LAX (just a few hours), but I really wanted to fly the A380 instead of the 777 (which is what the SEA-DXB route is served by).
Having very recently flown both the 77W and A380 in F, witch did you prefer? I honestly didnt notice the differences, except the 777s much smaller and more intimate FC cabin, and obviously the lack of showers.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Pull up DARJFK for four in F, the ENTIRE month of August shows as available and let's you click all the way through until payment...before being hit with the realization that it is phantom.

As for EF, I really shouldn't have to cross reference with AS site (in a perfect world) though clearly that's what's required. Is Z-1 for AS what I should assume and does that also pertain to D?

I.e. is it always (Emirates saver - 1) = what AS can book, for all three classes?
Nope, its D-2.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:31 am

So let's say I am flying DXB-LAX-DCA and I want the stopover in LAX is this allowed? I am thinking its not because its not on the way to DCA? With the AS LAX-DCA segment on AS. One more question is that I know if lets you have a F booking but it one leg is in J that you can upgrade the J flight for free but does it have to be the same exact flight itinerary to qualify to not have to pay the change fee? Like if I see F on another flight that day but not the one I originally booked?

Last edited by ASUDan130; Oct 8, 2015 at 12:07 pm
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:28 pm

Book Before 60 days or T-7

I will be in CPT then going back home to the USA this Spring and from what I understand F seats dont become available from South Africa to DXB until a week out. Should I get the coach seat from CPT to DXB and then grab the F seat (plentiful availability) to the USA before the 60 days change fee cut off just to have something. I really don't want to make a change and pay the $125 at all and tempted to just wait until the flights I want become available as I already have my flight onwards CPT. Any recommendations on what to do here?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:59 pm

Yes, you can do the LAX stopover; don't try to apply logic of backtracking. You can can book this online without any issues (I just did a sample to confirm). No additional cost to add on LAX-DCA (except minor taxes/TSA fees). If your cabin of choice on Alaska isn't available, just call back when it becomes available (and yes you can even switch flights/routing prior to 60 days without a fee). From my experience, I've made several changes like this (it seems the married segment thing doesn't apply to the Alaska portion of your itinerary). If you're talking about Emirates cabin changes...then you're subject to the possibility of a married segment issues.

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
So let's say I am flying DXB-LAX-DCA and I want the stopover in LAX is this allowed? I am thinking its not because its not on the way to DCA? With the AS LAX-DCA segment on AS. One more question is that I know if lets you have a F booking but it one leg is in J that you can upgrade the J flight for free but does it have to be the same exact flight itinerary to qualify to not have to pay the change fee? Like if I see F on another flight that day but not the one I originally booked?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Having very recently flown both the 77W and A380 in F, witch did you prefer? I honestly didnt notice the differences, except the 777s much smaller and more intimate FC cabin, and obviously the lack of showers.
I actually am not flying until January, so I have not yet experienced Emirates at all.

My understanding is that the 777 is more "intimate" as you say (a positive) but does not have the shower (negative). I have also heard the A380 is a "smoother" ride -- that you don't really even feel like you are in an airplane.

I also wanted to experience the new Emirates lounge in LAX.

Here is a post that speaks more about this:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ich-is-better/
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
My understanding is that the 777 is more "intimate" as you say (a positive) but does not have the shower (negative). I have also heard the A380 is a "smoother" ride -- that you don't really even feel like you are in an airplane.
I've had 20 777 flights (across all carriers, though none on EK) and 15 A380 flights (2 on EK). A380 is noticeably smoother and quieter, as long as you don't mind the extra connection then you have definitely made the right choice in my mind. It is especially quiet on the upper deck at the front where EK has their first class cabin. Especially if you might not book EK F again, doing it on the A380 is the way to go.

Emirates lounge LAX is nice as well, I've posted about it here, after flying out of LAX on EK F shortly after the lounge's soft opening: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24413294-post28.html. Can only assume it has gotten better now that the staff has more experience, it had only been open for less than a month when I visited!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:48 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Does anyone know if it's possible to pay for an EK chauffeur service on an F award?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Does anyone know if it's possible to pay for an EK chauffeur service on an F award?
To the best of my knowledge, no, but of course you could simply arrange your own chauffeur service if desired anywhere you wish.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I have also heard the A380 is a "smoother" ride -- that you don't really even feel like you are in an airplane.
Each person's experience will vary, and the A380 is a fine aircraft which seems to be somewhat smoother and/or quieter than most others. But in my experience, you definitely still feel like you're in an airplane. There's still plenty of noise, and the air still feels thin and dry unless you come from a place like Denver or Johannesburg.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by FlyGuy24
I will be in CPT then going back home to the USA this Spring and from what I understand F seats dont become available from South Africa to DXB until a week out. Should I get the coach seat from CPT to DXB and then grab the F seat (plentiful availability) to the USA before the 60 days change fee cut off just to have something. I really don't want to make a change and pay the $125 at all and tempted to just wait until the flights I want become available as I already have my flight onwards CPT. Any recommendations on what to do here?
This is a really good question as I am looking at South Africa redemptions as well. Anyone have any thoughts who redeem for this part of the world?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Nope, its D-2.
Z-1
D-2

I should have done my research before flying SPG currency down the drain.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I actually am not flying until January, so I have not yet experienced Emirates at all.

I also wanted to experience the new Emirates lounge in LAX.

Here is a post that speaks more about this:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ich-is-better/
If your in Biz you have the bar in the back of the 380 which is nice on long haul
FC is essentially the same except for the shower. I enjoy the shower going coming back I really don't care.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
If your in Biz you have the bar in the back of the 380 which is nice on long haul
FC is essentially the same except for the shower. I enjoy the shower going coming back I really don't care.
I'm in First. I have to admit I'm looking forward to the shower
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I'm in First. I have to admit I'm looking forward to the shower
I have actually found it very refreshing and allowed me to hit the ground running. A hint might be schedule your shower about an hour to hour and a half out. That way you can have breakfast and ready to go!! If First is light you can usually get extra time ! Got to love the heated floors

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.