Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
What's the word on award flights becoming available after cancelation? I currently have a March 2016 itinerary for LAX-DXB-MAD, but might change MAD to BCN. My understanding is that in order to do this, I have to cancel the whole itinerary and rebook it as LAX-DXB-BCN; I can't just change the second segment and keep the first segment intact. If I try doing this, is the LAX-DXB guaranteed to be available?
Not sure if this has changed, but last year I cancelled about 3-4 flights during the process of finalizing my itinerary, and none of the availability returned.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Will obviously pursue this strategy. This is how we normally book CX, then over time as additional F space opens we move the other travelers forward.

So, considering I've spent two hours this am trying and failing to book displayed EK availability on AS, hence I don't really have the patience to go over this entire thread, would somebody be kind enough to guide me:

1) Is AS' actually access to EK based on Z-1/D-1 while using expertflyer? Or does AS access = EK awards per expertflyer?

2) Will AS agents have any difficulty splitting a PNR i.e. I just booked the four of us in J, hence I'll need an agent to break one or two of us off?

3) Is EK as consistent as CX in releasing F awards close-in?

Look, I realize flying EK J isn't the end of the world, it just really irritates me that AS phantom availability is SO ABUNDANT. I've run across phantom availability on LAN and Cathay when booking on BA, but usually just once in a blue moon. The AS issue is widespread and consistent. And it causes me to waste miles.

Jamie
1) AS's access is about as clear as mud. I have been able to book 1 seat when Z=1, and I have not seen any inventory when Z has been greater than 1.
2) No problem splitting PNRs.
3) No, not as consistent. I have seen flights go out with nearly empty F cabins and Z = 0 even the day of the flight.

As far as phantom availability goes, I have never run across phantom availability on AS for EK, this must be something new. If ExpertFlyer is showing Z > 1 and AS is seeing inventory, but EK is refusing it, I can almost assure you the fault is on EKs side.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Wife and I are booked on DFW-DXB-SEZ, but due to issues with availability we are having to fly one day apart on DFW-DXB for F, stopover, then DXB-SEZ a couple days later we do not want to fly apart so wife is in J and I'm in Y. I have expert flyer alerts setup that keep getting tripped via email but when I check the seat has been put back already, also EF shows D=2 but somehow AS cannot access them.

1) Any way of getting access to one of these D seats? They seem phantom.
2) If there is no way, can I at least get into J lounge with wife in DXB when we leave?
3) This flight shows Z = 1, but I cannot find a single day that AS has access to it. According to the EK site the plane does have F seats. Anyone been able to book this route with AS miles?

Thanks!

Last edited by glocklt4; Sep 13, 2015 at 12:33 pm
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:23 am

Is there a way to perform the search where they don't include mixed class itineraries? It is very annoying that one leg for example is in F and the other in Y. Why is there so many frequent mixed class availability vs. having the premium class for both legs? Everything I have looked up to South Africa has mixed class awards and can't find anything with the same class for the whole trip.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Is there a way to perform the search where they don't include mixed class itineraries? It is very annoying that one leg for example is in F and the other in Y. Why is there so many frequent mixed class availability vs. having the premium class for both legs? Everything I have looked up to South Africa has mixed class awards and can't find anything with the same class for the whole trip.
I've yet to figure out a way to do this. It is a quirk of AS's booking engine.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:35 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Are you looking for 2 people? When booking in advance EK seems to release 2 first class award seats consistently on A380 routes, which covers many US routes these days, but only 1 on 777 routes, so a search for 2 people on a routing with an A380 flight connecting to a 777 flight will return a mixed-class option.

It appears that EK's routes to JNB and CPT are currently all 777, which surprised me as I would have guessed JNB at least had some A380 service. But until/unless they do fly the A380 to South Africa, you're very unlikely to find 2 first class seats all the way there unless you book last-minute when they tend to open up more space.

You may be able to find first on an A380 connecting to business on a 777, but unfortunately there's no easy way to get the AS search engine to highlight such options.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
Are you looking for 2 people? When booking in advance EK seems to release 2 first class award seats consistently on A380 routes, which covers many US routes these days, but only 1 on 777 routes, so a search for 2 people on a routing with an A380 flight connecting to a 777 flight will return a mixed-class option.

It appears that EK's routes to JNB and CPT are currently all 777, which surprised me as I would have guessed JNB at least had some A380 service. But until/unless they do fly the A380 to South Africa, you're very unlikely to find 2 first class seats all the way there unless you book last-minute when they tend to open up more space.

You may be able to find first on an A380 connecting to business on a 777, but unfortunately there's no easy way to get the AS search engine to highlight such options.
Actually just looking for 1 seat. Is it true that the website doesn't clearly show availability for F at times with these multi legs partner trips or do I need to essentially need to invest an EF subscription to see accurate availability as I believe its booked into Z class?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:09 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Actually just looking for 1 seat. Is it true that the website doesn't clearly show availability for F at times with these multi legs partner trips or do I need to essentially need to invest an EF subscription to see accurate availability as I believe its booked into Z class?
I believe what the AS website shows is what AS can book, which is not necessarily the same as what EK offers themselves. See: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...es-got-easier/
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I've yet to figure out a way to do this. It is a quirk of AS's booking engine.
Ah ok this is helpful so your saying AS booking engine has a problem showing Z space both legs and to just revert to EF for space and then to call AS to book?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
So even if the website allows me to book chauffeur drive on a award ticket, it still isn't valid and will be revoked?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
So even if the website allows me to book chauffeur drive on a award ticket, it still isn't valid and will be revoked?
Does it allow you to confirm it? It shows as available on EK, but if you try to book it, it errors out on the final step after you enter all the details...
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:46 am

Is the EK skywards website a good source for finding availability for multi leg F tickets that AS can book?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Ah ok this is helpful so your saying AS booking engine has a problem showing Z space both legs and to just revert to EF for space and then to call AS to book?
Doesn't work that way AS can only book with what "they see" which is also what "we see". JNB and CPT are huge hot spots, we have flown this several times. Mostly likely you will get First or Biz to Dubai then coach over. In the past if you wait till the last few weeks inventory if unsold will open up.

Hey it's free and coach is not that bad on the second leg and hear tell EK might be working on a Premium Class !!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Doesn't work that way AS can only book with what "they see" which is also what "we see". JNB and CPT are huge hot spots, we have flown this several times. Mostly likely you will get First or Biz to Dubai then coach over. In the past if you wait till the last few weeks inventory if unsold will open up.

Hey it's free and coach is not that bad on the second leg and hear tell EK might be working on a Premium Class !!
Ahh this is a bummer. I did see something with business class to South Africa so would your recommendation is to definitely book the SA leg in business as yes it looks like First is next to impossible to come by on these routes. What is "premium" class? It looks like CPT and JNB Z space is pretty much nil and Business class space is only available to JNB during very limited times. Am I right on this? This is all based solely what I see online on AS.

Last edited by ASUDan130; Sep 18, 2015 at 1:07 pm
Old Sep 18, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Ahh this is a bummer. I did see something with business class to South Africa so would your recommendation is to definitely book the SA leg in business as yes it looks like First is next to impossible to come by on these routes. What is "premium" class? It looks like CPT and JNB Z space is pretty much nil and Business class space is only available to JNB during very limited times. Am I right on this? This is all based solely what I see online on AS.
Honestly Biz on EK 380 is as good as most FC on most international carriers and ANY US carrier. On the 380 you have the open club in the back with food and drink the entire flight most up front passengers go back there as well,

777 does not have that feature. but never the less EK's business section is great and when it's ope we take it. It's an 8 hour flight to JNB but if you can block a good set of sets in coach it's not bad. This year we are doing SFO over FC then coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.