Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by callmedtop
2 questions:

1. What's with the dried up availability for US - DXB in May, June, etc? Plenty of DXB - US, but nothing the other way around. Did I miss the memo?

2. No F class space DXB - US after 7/3/16. Is this a normal delay between releasing coach seats and premium seats, or indicative of imposed blackout dates?

Thanks per usual.
Bump to question #2 - I guess my dreams of snagging early/mid July just went out the window, huh? Anyone know why July 4 - onwards is blocked off? Related to Ramadan, perhaps?

Same is true for Etihad.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:01 am

Bump to question #2 - I guess my dreams of snagging early/mid July just went out the window, huh? Anyone know why July 4 - onwards is blocked off? Related to Ramadan, perhaps?

Same is true for Etihad.
Well, looks like overnight they updated the schedule, somewhat. Flights are now open through the 7/8th, but not all the way out to EOS. Guess I'll wait and pray.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy

Same is true for Etihad.
Well, looks like overnight they updated the schedule, somewhat. Flights are now open through the 7/8th, but not all the way out to EOS. Guess I'll wait and pray.

Award tickets can be booked up to 11 months in advance on AS for EK. Apparently the schedule has not yet been loaded for the dates that you want to travel.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Award tickets can be booked up to 11 months in advance on AS for EK. Apparently the schedule has not yet been loaded for the dates that you want to travel.
I'm well aware of the 330/331 day cutoff. The point is that they are only loading up to ~327 days out in F, with only Y seats in 327-330, with some C.

As of two days ago, it was only 320 days out, and no F, J, or C.

As of now, there is no F class availability to any U.S. getaway for 329 days out, for example.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I wonder if EK's new flight to Panama will be conisdered North or South America?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by CDKing
I wonder if EK's new flight to Panama will be conisdered North or South America?
If its the 772L its pretty much impossible to book unless T-7 close in, like the 77W. Minus SEA of course.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:15 pm

I booked my very first EK award on AS.com yesterday. The ticket is confirmed on EK site but it was not ticketed so I can not change seats, etc. Called AS partner desk and they told me there was an error while ticketing online so they have to push through this ticket onto manual queue desk, which will take several days (they are not certain how long this will take since my travel won't begin until later this year).

Since I will be using this ticket to continue onto other destinations, can I go ahead and book other legs of my trips as they said this ticket is "confirmed"?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I'd wait to make sure its ticketed, just to be doubly certain.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:00 pm

Its been ticketed and confirmed within 24 hours. Now I am good to go. Thanks alot guys!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:37 pm

Any luck getting a Z-1 booking?
I'm seeing Z-1 both JNB-DXB (4/21) and DXB-DFW (4/23) but haven't had any luck getting the agent to see the openings. Any tricks beyond HUCA?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by MDMD
Any luck getting a Z-1 booking?
I'm seeing Z-1 both JNB-DXB (4/21) and DXB-DFW (4/23) but haven't had any luck getting the agent to see the openings. Any tricks beyond HUCA?
Agent or you online has to be able to book the flight in it's entirety not just segmental. I am having same issue. Two years ago it opened 60 days before for a "thru" booking.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Thoughts on DFW-DXB-ICN as the best/longer journey route to experience EK F on 380 aircraft?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by aglp2k
Thoughts on DFW-DXB-ICN as the best/longer journey route to experience EK F on 380 aircraft?
Yup, it's pretty long. If you want long A380 segments using AS miles, that's probably the best route to look for. A couple other routes from the US (LAX-DXB, IAH-DXB, SFO-DXB if it has an A380) are marginally longer but I wouldn't bother going out of your way to get them. And I think on EK's A380 the longer legs are way better than short ones (eg the theoretical JFK-MXP-DXB-SIN-HKG option where you're flying fifth freedom routes) since I prefer having enough time to eat, hang out at the bar, sleep, etc. and on a <8 hour flight there isn't meaningful sleep going on while doing other stuff.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:13 pm

Eastbound flights are faster than westbound. You might want to go in the other direction.

Due to some favourable winds/lead foot our DFW-DXB flight in Feb was done in under 13 hours or something crazy
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
Yup, it's pretty long. If you want long A380 segments using AS miles, that's probably the best route to look for. A couple other routes from the US (LAX-DXB, IAH-DXB, SFO-DXB if it has an A380) are marginally longer but I wouldn't bother going out of your way to get them.
If wanting to fully maximize, LAX and SFO have nice EK lounges, which DFW and IAH do not have. If flying in reverse, ICN doesn't have an EK lounge either. DXB Concourse A F lounge is nicer than any EK outstation lounge though, and I'm not sure 2-3 hours on a domestic carrier is worth a lounge visit though!

Disclaimer: I've flown LAX-DXB-ICN in EK F .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.