Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
This seems to be the way the world is going. SQ is also a big user of married segments on awards.

If married segments are only used for "good" -- i.e. AAA-BBB isn't available for awards by itself, but the airline will give it to you if you book AAA-BBB-CCC -- then it's a customer-friendly development since you'd likely never even know what you were missing if you just searched AAA-BBB. This is broadly what SQ/CX/EK have been observed to do, and in very limited cases DL has done this as well.

But there is also the potential of it being used for "evil" -- i.e. AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC are both available for awards by themselves at the low level, but AAA-BBB-CCC is only available at a higher price or not at all -- there have been at least one or two sightings of Delta doing that on domestic flights; I'm not aware of other airlines doing it but it may be out there.

Either way, it does mean the classic FT advice of "search for awards segment by segment and then piece them together" has decreasing utility.
Does this imply that the four F awards I can see on AS' site for MRUDXBJNB might be for real? I see four seats available in NUMEROUS days next July, but I can't actually try and ticket until my 400k SPG points transfer in. I'm going to be pissed if it is phantom availability after I have transferred so many points.

Jamie
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:57 pm

Since when does Alaska allow Emirates redemptions that don't originate or terminate in north America?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:03 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Does this imply that the four F awards I can see on AS' site for MRUDXBJNB might be for real? I see four seats available in NUMEROUS days next July, but I can't actually try and ticket until my 400k SPG points transfer in. I'm going to be pissed if it is phantom availability after I have transferred so many points.

Jamie
As crimsona said I'm not sure how you're seeing that since AS only allows EK awards that start or end in the US or Canada.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
As crimsona said I'm not sure how you're seeing that since AS only allows EK awards that start or end in the US or Canada.
Typo. MRUDXBJFK. Abundant F availability for four in July. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:48 pm

There's a lot of mixed cabins, so be careful
Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
There's a lot of mixed cabins, so be careful
Looks like the 1600~ departure from MRU is readily available, then a 9 hr layover, then the one-stop over MXP. I'm ok with this routing if I can get all four of us in F. AS agents also claim it is available, but I'll believe it when it tickets. As noted, will be really pissed if I find I've transferred 400k SPG miles that have become useless in the AS program.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:20 am

AS Feeder Segments to Emirates Flights

Originally Posted by jackal
I've never done US-XXX on EK, but I did come back to the US on EK, and my routing was CPT-DXB-SFO-SEA-PHL, so I was allowed two AS segments. I wouldn't think that you'd be restricted to one AS segment--that would be far too limiting for AS's network.
Just as a data point, I've been able to get 4 AS segments on my 100k First Class return one-way ticket:

MRU-DXB-DFW (Stop 5 months) DFW-PDX-SEA-ANC-FAI

Not ideal routing, but it can be done with multiple AS segments. It's a nice free one-way extra trip if you live in a US city serviced by both Emirates and Alaska. It's 30+ hours in First Class.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:47 am

Is there a way to do an open jaw with a one way like HKT-DXB-JFK (stop few months) IAD-SEA-LAS? Or does the stopover have to be in JFK in this example? Since IAD is served by AS and EK?

Last edited by ASUDan130; Sep 11, 2015 at 12:21 pm
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Is there a way to do an open jaw with a one way like HKT-DXB-JFK (stop few months) IAD-SEA-LAS? Or does the stopover have to be in JFK in this example? Since IAD is served by AS and EK?
That's not an open jaw since open jaw implies round trip (e.g. IAD-DXB-JFK with IAD-JFK being open jaw). It's a ground segment. I'm not aware of AS allowing ground segments on any awards, round trip or one ways.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:04 am

Typo. MRUDXBJFK. Abundant F availability for four in July. Sorry for the confusion.
Feeling VERY ripped off.

1) Spoke to AS agents that confirmed EK award space.
2) Transferred 320k SPG points for 400k AS.
3) Spoke to AS agents that again confirmed EK award space.
4) Tried/failed to book 14 different days in July that display award space on AS site. Each time told partner space can't be confirmed.

So, basically, I'm out 320k SPG points, as I have no other use for that AS currency.

Points wasted.

Jamie
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:12 am

Can you book two in J and two in F? You all could swap in DXB. Just an idea; obviously not ideal.

Feeling VERY ripped off.

4) Tried/failed to book 14 different days in July that display award space on AS site. Each time told partner space can't be confirmed.

So, basically, I'm out 320k SPG points, as I have no other use for that AS currency.

Points wasted.

Jamie
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by onfo
Can you book two in J and two in F? You all could swap in DXB. Just an idea; obviously not ideal.
Will obviously pursue this strategy. This is how we normally book CX, then over time as additional F space opens we move the other travelers forward.

So, considering I've spent two hours this am trying and failing to book displayed EK availability on AS, hence I don't really have the patience to go over this entire thread, would somebody be kind enough to guide me:

1) Is AS' actually access to EK based on Z-1/D-1 while using expertflyer? Or does AS access = EK awards per expertflyer?

2) Will AS agents have any difficulty splitting a PNR i.e. I just booked the four of us in J, hence I'll need an agent to break one or two of us off?

3) Is EK as consistent as CX in releasing F awards close-in?

Look, I realize flying EK J isn't the end of the world, it just really irritates me that AS phantom availability is SO ABUNDANT. I've run across phantom availability on LAN and Cathay when booking on BA, but usually just once in a blue moon. The AS issue is widespread and consistent. And it causes me to waste miles.

Jamie
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Feeling VERY ripped off.

Points wasted.

Jamie
Who do you feel ripped off by? It is EK that wouldn't confirm the award space even though they showed it as available. Did you try to book 2 or 3 awards? I would do that first and then see if another 1 or 2 opens up at a later date, and book J seats in the meantime.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by whimike
Who do you feel ripped off by? It is EK that wouldn't confirm the award space even though they showed it as available. Did you try to book 2 or 3 awards? I would do that first and then see if another 1 or 2 opens up at a later date, and book J seats in the meantime.
It raises a reasonable question - is the phantom issue on AS' end or EK's? Granted, I was aware there was a risk, so I shouldn't play the hapless victim here. I knew what expertflyer was showing for EK individual segments...but also confident that since AS displayed (and agents confirmed) different married segment availability then perhaps AS was correct. Hence, I transferred a material number of SPG points into AS. Had I known FOR A FACT that EK J was the best available, I probably wouldn't have bothered. The point is to fly EK F. If J is the best we can do, there are other options I'd explore.

So basically, I feel as if a club was advertising that U2 was going to play, so I paid to enter, I find out the club was mistaken but I can't get my money back (i.e. points transferred back to SPG). So yeah, that's how I define feeling "ripped off".
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:38 am

What's the word on award flights becoming available after cancelation? I currently have a March 2016 itinerary for LAX-DXB-MAD, but might change MAD to BCN. My understanding is that in order to do this, I have to cancel the whole itinerary and rebook it as LAX-DXB-BCN; I can't just change the second segment and keep the first segment intact. If I try doing this, is the LAX-DXB guaranteed to be available?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.