Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Agent says stopover on EK is only allowed in DXB. Apparently, after a quick Google search, specific airlines only allow specific stopover cities.
Agreed- Samething I have gotten from 4 different agents. Only exception I know is HKG-BKK-DXB-XXX
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:35 pm

Are the only Emirates direct flights from BKK to DXB and HKG?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Are the only Emirates direct flights from BKK to DXB and HKG?
EK serves SYD and CHC from BKK. Note that CHC is via SYD only, not direct.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
EK serves SYD and CHC from BKK. Note that CHC is via SYD only, not direct.
Thanks. And AS doesn't allow award flights to Australia on Emirates, so I guess HKG is as far as you can go leaving from the US on an award ticket with stop over in DXB and BKK.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:55 pm

Thanks. And AS doesn't allow award flights to Australia on Emirates, so I guess HKG is as far as you can go leaving from the US on an award ticket with stop over in DXB and BKK.
Tokyo? Manila?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Tokyo? Manila?
Is there direct BKK-Tokyo on Emirates?

Edit: I couldn't find a BKK-Tokyo flight on Emirates.com

Last edited by Single_Flyer; Sep 29, 2015 at 6:30 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
How would you get two full 24+ hour stopovers on a one-way? Do you mean a < 24 hour layover in one of those destinations?

Is there direct BKK-Tokyo on Emirates?

Edit: I couldn't find a BKK-Tokyo flight on Emirates.com
OP means USA-DXB-NRT/MNL, which is farther than HKG.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Agent says stopover on EK is only allowed in DXB. Apparently, after a quick Google search, specific airlines only allow specific stopover cities.
DXB only for alaska reservations.

Last edited by moops380; Sep 29, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
How would you get two full 24+ hour stopovers on a one-way? Do you mean a < 24 hour layover in one of those destinations?

Thanks, I forgot that you only get one stop over. I was trying to milk a stop over in DXB and BKK out of a one way award ticket.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:36 pm

If the day I want to travel (6 months out) is not showing anything available on the AS website should I feel ok that as we get closer space usually gets released?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:53 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Help!

I'm in Thailand about to fly hkt-dxb-sfo on a first class redemption. My first segment is in business but expert flyer now shows Z3. Alaska rep says he can't upgrade me because EK doesn't show that segment available to him in F. Is he incompetent or correct that he can't isolate that segment and bump me to first?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by finloopio
I'm in Thailand about to fly hkt-dxb-sfo on a first class redemption. My first segment is in business but expert flyer now shows Z3. Alaska rep says he can't upgrade me because EK doesn't show that segment available to him in F. Is he incompetent or correct that he can't isolate that segment and bump me to first?
Flight #379 HKT-DXB is available in first the next three days. You may be running into a married segment issue; connecting flight #225 DXB-SFO is only showing business available. Some have been able to work around this, others have been unsuccessful.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Per EK's twitter, it looks like there's an announcement with Jennifer Aniston tomorrow.

Who thinks it's the new F!?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Per EK's twitter, it looks like there's an announcement with Jennifer Aniston tomorrow.

Who thinks it's the new F!?
Its just a brilliant commercial with JA, poking fun at the lameness of US based carriers. Discussed in the Emirates forum.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:51 pm

What's the word on award flights becoming available after cancelation? I currently have a March 2016 itinerary for LAX-DXB-MAD, but might change MAD to BCN. My understanding is that in order to do this, I have to cancel the whole itinerary and rebook it as LAX-DXB-BCN; I can't just change the second segment and keep the first segment intact. If I try doing this, is the LAX-DXB guaranteed to be available?
Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Not sure if this has changed, but last year I cancelled about 3-4 flights during the process of finalizing my itinerary, and none of the availability returned.
Is this what most people experience? I called AS and asked, and the CSR said availability usually shows up again, but sometimes doesn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.