Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by ILGfly
Have read any of the last three pages of this thread? D and Z space has disappeared everywhere for all dates. Go look on EF.
Amen.

Lots of availability on Alaska site, just rang to try and book. Nothing. 400,000 Alaska points. Down. The. Drain.

Last edited by jamienbaker; Oct 15, 2015 at 1:51 pm
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I find multiple dates in early April 2016 with business and first seats available, but I haven't tried booking them.
It's phantom space on AS. Those dates used to be available before some time on Tuesday. Go look up those same dates in Expert Flyer and see if you see any D or Z space.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Amen.

Lots of availability on Alaska site, just rang to try and book. Nothing. 400,000 Alaska points. Down. The. Drain.
I think you're overreacting a little bit. Unless EK is getting rid of saver level awards for even their own members there's something going on in EKs reservation system. Saver level space in business and first is gone even for Skywards members.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:07 pm

I think you're overreacting a little bit. Unless EK is getting rid of saver level awards for even their own members there's something going on in EKs reservation system. Saver level space in business and first is gone even for Skywards members.
I hope you're right. On top of my potentially-worthless AS currency, I just had to drop 450k AA points to book flights from Africa to US on Etihad...which requires two awards (no ME transit allowed to/from Africa, except on QR).

Let's hope this is some sort of a glitch, though I find it curious that QR also appears to be significantly reigning in availability (though not systemwide, as appears the case with EK).

Jamie
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Jamie - maybe JFK is the issue. A friend of mine just booked houston to Dubai with no problem for 2 biz seats in late April on EK. And yes, he actually paid for them as well.

By the way, Expert Flyer is not showing the seats that he booked.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Oct 15, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Jamie - maybe JFK is the issue. A friend of mine just booked houston to Dubai with no problem for 2 biz seats in late April on EK. And yes, he actually paid for them as well.

By the way, Expert Flyer is not showing the seats that he booked.
What's your definition of "just", given that inventory seems to have disappeared in the last week or so? I'm wondering if somehow AS is booking into a bucket other than Z or D. According to EF, no US gateway has availability for April 23-28 (all I checked, given your suggestion).
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I think its a glitch as EF showed space last week, and zero this week.

I snoozed
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I think its a glitch as EF showed space last week, and zero this week.

I snoozed
That's fair. However, routes where I knew there was plenty of availability last week, which both EF showed and AS could book, are now gone. The likelihood of them all booking up seems low to me, but I suppose that would be able to explain the couple of folks who are succeeding with bookings.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
400,000 Alaska points. Down. The. Drain.
Not entirely, assuming that a) this is truly a glitch on EK's side and b) CX is still an AS partner (you do still fly them, right?)...
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Let me clarify. My friend was able to book EK flights even though Expert Flyer did not show them. AS did show them. He was expecting to get to the pay the $20 +/- page and it error out. It went through.

Since the last posting he let me know that he went online and picked his seats as well.

So, here is a case where Expert Flyer does NOT show seats, but AS did. He did have to adjust his dates in April as most days were for BA flights with the heavy charges.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Let me clarify. My friend was able to book EK flights even though Expert Flyer did not show them. AS did show them. He was expecting to get to the pay the $20 +/- page and it error out. It went through.

Since the last posting he let me know that he went online and picked his seats as well.

So, here is a case where Expert Flyer does NOT show seats, but AS did. He did have to adjust his dates in April as most days were for BA flights with the heavy charges.
Today AS opened up their award calendar for 09/10/16 and that isn't showing anything available but economy on EK whereas previously every day was wide open in J and F.

I wish one of the bloggers that actually have contacts at AS and EK would pick this story up and help get to the bottom of what's going on here.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:12 pm

I wish one of the bloggers that actually have contacts at AS and EK would pick this story up and help get to the bottom of what's going on here.
According to Tiffany on OMaaT she able to book EK F for her client on AS just recently (as in today)
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:12 pm

Today AS opened up their award calendar for 09/10/16 and that isn't showing anything available but economy on EK whereas previously every day was wide open in J and F.

EK J and F seats weren't available for booking on AS for a few months about a year ago. OMAAT wrote a lot about this. When seats opened up again in the spring, I jumped on it right away for fear of it happening again.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:25 pm

EK J and F seats weren't available for booking on AS for a few months about a year ago. OMAAT wrote a lot about this. When seats opened up again in the spring, I jumped on it right away for fear of it happening again.
But when they weren't available, couldn't one still see on EF? I.e. AS blocked at its level rather than EK not releasing? I don't recall.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:32 pm

Yeah, I remember when that happened. I'm hoping this is resolved sooner rather than later because I need to book some F tickets for I need to book for Sept 16, 17 or 18 of 2016 and those days should be opening up soon. I'm worried that they'll end up like the 10th and nothing will be on the calendar at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.