Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My friend stumbled upon a yahoo article in which the blogger advertised a "$60K flight" for almost free. I looked at it and was surprised at his routing.

In short, he was able to go from IAH-DXB-MRU-DXB-FCO-DXB-AKL-BNE-SIN under a single AS award booking. Of course, all of the layovers are <24 hours, but I still don't understand how he was able to book the IAH-DXB-MRU-DXB-FCO-DXB portion.

The most EK flights I'm aware of in a single AS itinerary I was aware of is 4-- JFK-FCO-DXB-HKG-BKK, but you're only routed to DXB once. Here, he visited DXB 3 times. The blogger doesn't explain how he did this. Any thoughts?

DaveInLA, there's an AS forum thread devoted to this topic.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
yea it's called BS
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
This happened to me and I was able to change 1 segment by calling in. You can't do it online. If the agent says you can't, hang up and call again.
Thanks. What's the verdict on EK opening F awards close-in a la Cathay? Cathay is so reliable, I've actually traveled around the world without a return plan, confident that CX would come through.

I poked around this and other threads, ran a couple of searches, but didn't come across anything definitive (though in fairness, only spent 3-5 minutes searching - so flame me if I missed something obvious).

Best, Jamie
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Thanks. What's the verdict on EK opening F awards close-in a la Cathay? Cathay is so reliable, I've actually traveled around the world without a return plan, confident that CX would come through.
I poked around this and other threads, ran a couple of searches, but didn't come across anything definitive (though in fairness, only spent 3-5 minutes searching - so flame me if I missed something obvious).
Best, Jamie
Although policy seems a little inconsistent and somewhat route dependent, EK is reasonably good about opening award seats as you get closer (inside 7 days) if inventory is there. IMO, recently CX is not as reliable as it used to be. A few weeks ago, I kept looking for one F seat on JFK-YVR, but it departed F5 with CX not releasing another seat.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Although policy seems a little inconsistent and somewhat route dependent, EK is reasonably good about opening award seats as you get closer (inside 7 days) if inventory is there. IMO, recently CX is not as reliable as it used to be. A few weeks ago, I kept looking for one F seat on JFK-YVR, but it departed F5 with CX not releasing another seat.
For some more anecdotal evidence, I have booked 2 last minute (less than 5 days out) F redemption on EK (LHR-DXB-DFW, HKG-DXB-SEA), and 5 last minute F awards on Cathay (HKG-SFO/LAX/YVR/ORD) in the last year. 2 trips were booked without the return at the time of booking, have had no problems booking either a EK or CX last minute ticket (just have to be flex on timings/days).
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
For some more anecdotal evidence, I have booked 2 last minute (less than 5 days out) F redemption on EK (LHR-DXB-DFW, HKG-DXB-SEA), and 5 last minute F awards on Cathay (HKG-SFO/LAX/YVR/ORD) in the last year. 2 trips were booked without the return at the time of booking, have had no problems booking either a EK or CX last minute ticket (just have to be flex on timings/days).
Very encouraging. Wife + son are on morning DXBJFK next August, Me + son are on the afternoon flight. Would love to get the four of us together, regardless of which departure. I'll make sure my EF alerts are set, and will hope AS can reticket a single leg (as part of a DARDXBJFK itinerary).

Best, Jamie
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:14 pm

That's a tough route. I wonder if JFKHKG awards were available.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Wasn't that some sort of temporary computer problem? OMAAT actually came through with an explanation
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA,AS,HH,HY,IB,LH,IHG,MAR,WN
Originally Posted by bherman
Gotcha, thanks. Well, if it ends up working out, I'll post an update (next June!)
^
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:00 pm

Is there any update yet with the EF and EK issue?.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:23 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ual902
Is there any update yet with the EF and EK issue?.
Checking tonight, November 5, 2015, the following banner still appears on the Expert Flyer search page:

NOTE: There is a temporary issue affecting the display of EK flights other than ones to/from North America. We are working with our information provider to fix the issue and expect it to be resolved within the next few weeks. Thank you for your patience.

I was not able to get availability to come up - checking the Southern African Zone - DXB.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Checking tonight, November 5, 2015, the following banner still appears on the Expert Flyer search page:

NOTE: There is a temporary issue affecting the display of EK flights other than ones to/from North America. We are working with our information provider to fix the issue and expect it to be resolved within the next few weeks. Thank you for your patience.

I was not able to get availability to come up - checking the Southern African Zone - DXB.
SA has been slim to none other than coach
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:08 am

What is the best strategy to get South Africa-USA F awards? I know the DXB-USA part is easy but the only thing in advance is JNB in J. I heard that they usually open up though a week in advance. Is it best to book now and change later with paying the fee or just waiting the week before? Also let's say I took the JNB J now would upgrading it to F on that leg cost anything extra?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
What is the best strategy to get South Africa-USA F awards? I know the DXB-USA part is easy but the only thing in advance is JNB in J. I heard that they usually open up though a week in advance. Is it best to book now and change later with paying the fee or just waiting the week before? Also let's say I took the JNB J now would upgrading it to F on that leg cost anything extra?
If it were me, I'd book Cathay USA-HKG-JNB, set up an Experflyer alert, and hope that EK space opens up. I'll let others chime in as to whether locking down the USA-DXB would help. On the website, you can't add/delete segments without rebooking the entire thing, which requires USA-DXB to be available. But it has been reported that phone agents can work around this.

Good luck, Jamie
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Phone fee to upgrade J segment on F award inside 60 day window?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched the thread and didn't find an answer:

I recently booked SFO-DXB (stopover) DXB-MLE with SFO-DXB in F and DXB-MLE in J. If F opens up for DXB-MLE and I call to change it, will I be charged a change fee if it is within the 60-day to departure window?

BTW, as another data point reinforcing what others have already posted, I could not book my itinerary online with the mixed cabins and the stopover, despite separate searches showing the availability was there. Agent on the phone worked it out and waived phone fee (kudos to her!) ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.