Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Question Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Hello,

I know that the AS website indicates "late 2012" for EK awards for AS MP members, and I was curious if anyone on the AS side had any new insight. The last status posts here from April indicating still in negotiations. I figure the moment that AS is ready to go with EK awards the vice-versa will be true too. I believe it was supposed to be June 2012 from original communications, but that has passed us by quite some time ago.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil.../emirates.aspx

After all, there needs to be some EK members who want AS awards to balance out the demand for EK awards from AS members who are not as interested in CX...

My inquiry response from EK Skywards was that it is not available, but ignored the question of the future. Worse, the Skywards website appears to have removed references for redemption to be coming soon on AS partner pages.

Regards,
Rasheed
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:37 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by rasheed
[...]
I figure the moment that AS is ready to go with EK awards the vice-versa will be true too.
[...]
I wouldn’t assume that at all. If you’re really trying to determine when AS awards will be bookable with Skywards miles, that’s a question better suited for the Emirates forum. Booking Emirates awards with MP miles is a separate action that could occur earlier or later.

Historically AS plays these sorts of deadlines pretty close to the wire, so when they say “late 2012,” I figure I’ll be watching the ball drop in Times Square when they actually become available.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad
I wouldn’t assume that at all. If you’re really trying to determine when AS awards will be bookable with Skywards miles, that’s a question better suited for the Emirates forum. Booking Emirates awards with MP miles is a separate action that could occur earlier or later.

Historically AS plays these sorts of deadlines pretty close to the wire, so when they say “late 2012,” I figure I’ll be watching the ball drop in Times Square when they actually become available.
What qualifies as late 2012? Nothing yet
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
second half is after June 30. Mid to late would be June 30 to November 30. Late is December. The Times Square reference is likely accurate.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:32 pm

We have been warned to expect the possibility that it might not be released in 2012, as both IT teams try to get the systems to communicate with each other.

We will see what happens and I for one cannot wait to see what the award chart will BR like and book EK awards.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by golfingboy
We have been warned to expect the possibility that it might not be released in 2012, as both IT teams try to get the systems to communicate with each other.

We will see what happens and I for one cannot wait to see what the award chart will BR like and book EK awards.
I just hope I have enough miles to book at least one F award

But can't wait DXB looks like a cool airport
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I just hope I have enough miles to book at least one F award

But can't wait DXB looks like a cool airport
Probably close to 200K
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmmm i hope they come out sooner than later. The word on the street is one major airline may be going revenue based. I sure hope its not Alaska

Why banking your frequent-flier points is a horrible idea

Are Delta, US Airways, and Alaska Airlines the Most Likely to Switch to a Revenue-Based Program? And What About Our Current Mileage Balances?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Any update on Emirates?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
Emirates (EK) awards availability status update?

I haven't heard anything. I was pretty excited about the EK partnership and even happened to make it on the inaugural DXB-SEA flight, but I my enthusiasm has waned. Between the ongoing devaluation of the BoA Visa and the delayed availability of EK awards, I am shifting most of my earning to other programs so as to possibly redeem for an EK award someday (and to earn AS awards for fewer miles than in Mileage Plan.)
Old Nov 16, 2012, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Well we knew it was going to take a while as there is *a lot* of work being done on the backend to make it work. I'm excited as F should be included as an option... Haven't heard any updates though.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:29 pm

We are hoping it will be launched by the end of 2012, but we have been warned that it might not happen... So expect the possibly of the release being delayed until sometime mid-2013 at the worst.

Something to do with getting the systems to communicate is causing headaches.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Tick-tock, tick-tock.
Pretty soon, they're going to have to change the web site.

Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:21 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Spring 2013
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully AS wont go revenue based before then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.