Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:48 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by CDKing
+1 now wants to go to Thailand in 2014. I guess I will be burning 400K this year. It looks like the longest award would be SEA-DXB-NRT for 200K in F
At least BKK has the A380 No need to shower in DXB

LAX-DXB-NRT is the longest it seems... DKR, CPT, and MNL are close.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by CDKing
Originally Posted by golfingboy
In the MVPG75K email sent out today, January 16, we can book award travel on Emirates

Now, we are still waiting for the award chart
Good to know. I totally wasn't going to read the newsletter
Saw it this morning- then I fell back asleep.

Exciting to see- but wish it was a tad bit cheaper
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:19 pm

Did a little bit of research plugging in random dates...

Seems LAX/SFO/YYZ/IAD are not easy for F redemptions on EK with IAH/SEA/JFK/DFW being a lot easier... I see many dates with 2-3 Z inventory. It also seems EK is good with releasing F awards if the cabin is not full a few weeks before the flight, unlike some airlines.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I assume if we are to search on expertflyer we should select the saver awards for availability?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Seems LAX/SFO/YYZ/IAD are not easy for F redemptions on EK with IAH/SEA/JFK/DFW being a lot easier... I see many dates with 2-3 Z inventory. It also seems EK is good with releasing F awards if the cabin is not full a few weeks before the flight, unlike some airlines.
Which routes are served by A380's?

I would ask whether AS would fly us out to EWR to connect to a JFK flight, but I know better than to assume I would ever see A space on SEA-EWR.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by baliktad
Which routes are served by A380's?
I would ask whether AS would fly us out to EWR to connect to a JFK flight, but I know better than to assume I would ever see A space on SEA-EWR.
JFK and YYZ are A380 at the moment.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
I assume if we are to search on expertflyer we should select the saver awards for availability?
Yes, it seems EK has flex and saver grouped under one inventory, so we will have to see if what AS sees is the same or not come Jan 16. I expect the partner desk to be busy on the 16th

Originally Posted by baliktad
If you do not mind flying in Y, then I am sure AS should be able to book you to EWR to connect onto the JFK-DXB flight.

Same goes for SEA-DCA if you want to catch the IAD-DXB flight.

What AS won't do is book those on the east coast to fly up to SEA/LAX to connect onto EK
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
Emirates (EK) awards availability status update?

Hmm... Glad the wait is over but it's too bad these rates aren't more on par with JL's. (JFK-DXB for 135,000 RT in F.) I would like to do an EK award in F but these rates mean it looks like there may be some CX awards in my future instead.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by rwinn
Hmm... Glad the wait is over but it's too bad these rates aren't more on par with JL's. (JFK-DXB for 135,000 RT in F.) I would like to do an EK award in F but these rates mean it looks like there may be some CX awards in my future instead.
Well it looks cheaper if you go to JNB or NRT. And easier to get AS miles I think?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
It saddens me that there is no chance to redeem miles from Europe to DXB only... sigh... I only have 75k miles... Need to go a LONG way... any thoughts?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Just checked Expert Flyer, I see a bunch of dates with 2 Z class seats avail SEA-DXB.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by JimmyJoe
F to Africa is 200k on EK but its 140k on CX. Is EK first really worth the 60K?
Will be able to offer a first-hand comparison this summer after I do EK A380 in F on the DXB-LHR route (part of an ex-CMB itin). F on the CX 747 was the best sleeping set up I've ever experienced with full 36" wide at shoulder lie flats. Very comfortable. Despite the closeable suite and showers, the EK F seat itself is listed as only 23" wide. Fine for comfortable seating, but remains to be seen how it compares for a good snooze...and at a 40% premium. Hmmm.

Most pleased, overall, about the AS/EK awards partnership. Want to spend a few days in DXB and this makes it easy. Now I need to construct a fun award itin for 2014 that encompasses EK and a couple destinations in Asia....think I'll wait a month or two, though, to see if the one-way awards come about sooner rather than later.

--mcz
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:40 am

For me the biggest win with the EK partnership is the ability to redeem miles to destinations outside of JNB for Africa and reasonable access to MLE and MRU along with some smaller Indian cities.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:54 am

For me the biggest win with the EK partnership is the ability to redeem miles to destinations outside of JNB for Africa and reasonable access to MLE and MRU along with some smaller Indian cities.
Shouldn't they then release also a travel within middle-east chart?
They have that option with most of AS's other partners..
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Shouldn't they then release also a travel within middle-east chart?
They have that option with most of AS's other partners..
You don't need a separate award chart for that if you are flying from North America to the Maldives or Mauritius via DXB. However, what I am not sure is whether they fall under Middle East/India or Asia?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.