Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
URL to information: https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/news/coronavirus-updates

Update 16/4/20

At this stage measurements which have been taken are for status maintain only. We are well aware that customers can also be impacted by less chance for an upgrade and/or reduced opportunities to carry over XP to the next year. We are constantly monitoring the evolution of the situation and are adjusting our policies accordingly. Should there be additional measures to compensate those impacts too, we will let our Flying Blue members know as soon as possible.
Update 15/4/20

In challenging times like today, travelling has become more difficult due to reasons beyond your control. In these trying times, we want to remove any uncertainty you may have about your Flying Blue Elite level.

We have put the following actions in place:

- We will maintain all Flying Blue Elite members with a qualification period ending between March 2020 and February 2021 for another 12 months.
- We will prevent all Miles from expiring between now and the end of 2020 for all our Explorer members.
From the Q&A that will be shared later today:

2. Will I keep my current level in my next qualification period?
In case your qualification period ends between March 2020 and February 2021, you will keep your current level even if you don’t reach the XP objective. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

3. When will I see this XP measure in my online account?
Not until the first day in your new qualification period will you see in your online account that your current level is maintained. In your activity overview, you’ll find either ‘XP offered by Flying Blue’ with the number of XP that are credited to reach the XP objective, or ‘Counter offset’ with the XP objective deducted from your counter. A new card will be sent to you before your current card expires. The validity date of your digital card will be updated at the end of your current qualification period.

4. I want to upgrade to a higher level. Will I also be compensated?
Our measures enable Elite members to maintain their current level. It is not applicable for members who wish to upgrade to a higher level.

5. Will I keep my current XP balance in my next qualification period?
We will automatically offset the number of XP needed to maintain or upgrade a level. Any surplus XP will remain on your account. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

6. What will happen to my years counting towards Platinum for life?
If you keep your current level during your next qualification period based on our special measures that membership year will count towards the 10 consecutive years needed to qualify for Platinum for life. For example:

· You have been a Platinum member for 9 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained and reach 10 consecutive years of Platinum. On 1 January 2021, your new qualificaiton period starts and on 1 April 2021, we will change your level to Platinum for life.
· You have been a Platinum member for 7 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained. On 1 January 2021, your 8th consecutive year of Platinum will start.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: status extensions confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver - AF passionate
Hello,

Thank you for all these informations and this discussion on this very touchy situation in which understandings can be very different from what has been decided.

I have a question regarding my father who is Plat and was on his way for Ulti but is now blocked at 945UXP because of the pandemic.
Isn't there any bonus UXP for Plat customers that were making lots of flights to get the Ultimate status this year ?

It seems that from what I read, almost no one will join the Ultimate group of customers at the end of 2020 except if they manage to make the equivalent of the confinement period of flights on top of the ones they will make when it will be able to fly. Let's say, we can fly starting from September, so they will do the number of flights planned for September-December + the equivalents of flights from March to August.

How is it gonna be managed ? Should my father forget the race for Ultimate Status ?
gaukuser likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
I think is is highly unlikely that AFKL can or might even want to backtrack from the already announced policy of extending statuses by a year. Imagine the (justified) outcry by others if that would happen and they reverse on an announced policy!

Yes what you say might have made most sense from the start, but it is too late for that. If they will do something it might be in the form of extra rollover XPs but I can't see anything else happening.
Yes, they could go with rollover/bonus of XP accumulated in 2020 as a start for 2021 with a maximum of 300xp (which is the deduction made).

I don’t really get the idea of not counting the year for PFL. Those complaining are those with already over 300xp. So anyway, 300xp deducted in 2020 or 2021 is the same for PFL purpose with
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm PFL, going on a decade now. I have to say that I could have been Ulti in most of the years since the program was launched, and have in fact "qualified" for Plat in the years since I have been PFL in some years, but to be honest, there is no USP that has sold me on Ulti, especially when reading through the limited benefits received by Ulti's, and how slapdash they have always been.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by gaukuser
Suggest that we all drop the good people of Flying blue a note via https://www.flyingblue.com/ (I know our excellent Ulti ambassadors are probably passing lil notes about what they are hearing in the trenches -- but there's always value in adding your voice)

My message: "Be fair to your 'actually still flying' Platinums and treat Plats like you addressed Ultimates: Add 300 Xps to your platinum accounts."
Adjusted your message a bit, feel free to use this one:

Dear Flying Blue,
Although this might come off as "first world problems", and I really do appreciate that FlyingBlue is trying to take steps regarding their program, I'd like to give the following feedback.
Be fair to your "actually still flying" Platinums and treat Platinums like you addressed Ultimates (900UXP added to their accounts): Add 300 XPs to the Platinum accounts. Preferably, add those 900UXP to the Platinum accounts as well .

Kind regards,
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Smiles/GOL Diamond, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
I think is is highly unlikely that AFKL can or might even want to backtrack from the already announced policy of extending statuses by a year. Imagine the (justified) outcry by others if that would happen and they reverse on an announced policy!

Yes what you say might have made most sense from the start, but it is too late for that. If they will do something it might be in the form of extra rollover XPs but I can't see anything else happening.
They already reversed their policy from a few weeks ago when they announced a 25% decrease threshold to maintain status.
A new communication strategy every week would not be shocking
Old Apr 16, 2020, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by VicMart1
Hello,

Thank you for all these informations and this discussion on this very touchy situation in which understandings can be very different from what has been decided.

I have a question regarding my father who is Plat and was on his way for Ulti but is now blocked at 945UXP because of the pandemic.
Isn't there any bonus UXP for Plat customers that were making lots of flights to get the Ultimate status this year ?

It seems that from what I read, almost no one will join the Ultimate group of customers at the end of 2020 except if they manage to make the equivalent of the confinement period of flights on top of the ones they will make when it will be able to fly. Let's say, we can fly starting from September, so they will do the number of flights planned for September-December + the equivalents of flights from March to August.

How is it gonna be managed ? Should my father forget the race for Ultimate Status ?
Unfortunately for your father, I don't think AF will do anything in this case. But, assuming those 945 UXP were acquired in 2019, there is no risk asking FB if they would consider "freezing" 2020 and consider a qualification on 2019+2021 instead of 2019-2020.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
What should they be doing for lifetime members? Extending their lifetime status into another lifetime?
No, but perhaps into purgatory.

Johan
irishguy28 and Thysk like this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:13 pm

I sent a letter to Ben Smith. Probably zero effect but unfairness makes me crazy
gaukuser, Wil973, PeteM01 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
I sent a letter to Ben Smith. Probably zero effect but unfairness makes me crazy
I suspect these types of messages have a more decent chance to be effective than general complaints, since, by definition, they are sent by high value customers AND granting XPs doesn't actually cost AF all that much: miles do have a linear, marginal cost -- since they are redeemable for air fare -- but XPs are only good for getting a spot in the lounge and a faster sky priority lane -- this has value, of course, or we wouldn't chase it, but it doesn't really have high marginal cost.

So all in all, and being that AFKL used language that left the door open for further tweaks, I'd say a letter-writing campaign isn't totally doomed to fail
Thysk likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: KL Plat
One thing that would give good reason to skip 2020 for earning is that lounges are closed, flights are seriously reduced so any chance of actually using your status in 2020 (1st half at least) is reduced to near zero. Currently I've been 'charged' 300 XP for 2020 with very few opportunities to make use of the status provided.
gaukuser and petitaix like this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by VicMart1
Hello,

Also, in addition to Goldorak s comment, don't overestimate the benefits or value of utlimate. It's mention on your platinum status rather than a specific status. It's not a coherent 'group of customers' or something specifically worth chasing, but in case you qualify naturally due to your regular travel behavior it's a nice to have. Have a look at the ulti thread elsewhere at this forum, to read reviews from platinum ultimates.

On topic: more generically the question can be asked for any level: what if you where on your way up from Silver to Gold, which requires flying, which you're most likely unable to at the moment, meaning you won't be able to upgrade to a higher status neither. In official comms Flying Blue mentioned to look after status upgrades in a later stage.
I assume it's a mistake from a social media intern, but KLM mentioned on its official LinkedIn company page today that "you will maintain your current (...) XP level for 12 months', which from my understanding means no XP will be deducted at your membership anniversary.
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/klm_p...065563136-mkzy
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Solevita
One thing that would give good reason to skip 2020 for earning is that lounges are closed, flights are seriously reduced so any chance of actually using your status in 2020 (1st half at least) is reduced to near zero. Currently I've been 'charged' 300 XP for 2020 with very few opportunities to make use of the status provided.
very good point
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
So if my understanding is correct;

Plat member with 1 XP at the moment will be "gifted" 299 XP to maintain status. And another Plat member with 301 XP will have 300 removed, also maintaining status. A difference of 599 XP. The loyal flyer gets penalized, the less loyal member is praised.

A friend of mine who has a Business class trip planned later in the year more or less for the sole purpose of earning XP's to keep status will cancel the flight and use his voucher next year. That's not exactly what the doctor ordered.
saraoutou likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum
Originally Posted by sbams

Plat member with 1 XP at the moment will be "gifted" 299 XP to maintain status. And another Plat member with 301 XP will have 300 removed, also maintaining status. A difference of 599 XP. The loyal flyer gets penalized, the less loyal member is praised.

A friend of mine who has a Business class trip planned later in the year more or less for the sole purpose of earning XP's to keep status will cancel the flight and use his voucher next year. That's not exactly what the doctor ordered.
Same here - I will move my flights to after my qualification even if borders open before that -- why even earning XP before qualification?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti

That difference would be 299 XP: you'll have 300 XP deducted and the hypothetical other person having 1 XP will have 1 XP deducted. And you'll both keep platinum status for another year, so except looking at a different number in your XP savings account, you won't lose preferred seating and access to the platinum service phone, no penalizing on the hard benefits of plat vs gold.

2 years ago the full Flying Blue program changed mid-March and last year Bluebiz got a revamp, announced on a Friday afternoon valid from Sunday morning overruling already booked tickets. Planning flights for the sole purpose of racking up XPs is always risky. You never know what the Flying Blue program will look like next year.

Last edited by arjen05; Apr 16, 2020 at 5:41 pm Reason: new calculation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.