Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
URL to information: https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/news/coronavirus-updates

Update 16/4/20

At this stage measurements which have been taken are for status maintain only. We are well aware that customers can also be impacted by less chance for an upgrade and/or reduced opportunities to carry over XP to the next year. We are constantly monitoring the evolution of the situation and are adjusting our policies accordingly. Should there be additional measures to compensate those impacts too, we will let our Flying Blue members know as soon as possible.
Update 15/4/20

In challenging times like today, travelling has become more difficult due to reasons beyond your control. In these trying times, we want to remove any uncertainty you may have about your Flying Blue Elite level.

We have put the following actions in place:

- We will maintain all Flying Blue Elite members with a qualification period ending between March 2020 and February 2021 for another 12 months.
- We will prevent all Miles from expiring between now and the end of 2020 for all our Explorer members.
From the Q&A that will be shared later today:

2. Will I keep my current level in my next qualification period?
In case your qualification period ends between March 2020 and February 2021, you will keep your current level even if you don’t reach the XP objective. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

3. When will I see this XP measure in my online account?
Not until the first day in your new qualification period will you see in your online account that your current level is maintained. In your activity overview, you’ll find either ‘XP offered by Flying Blue’ with the number of XP that are credited to reach the XP objective, or ‘Counter offset’ with the XP objective deducted from your counter. A new card will be sent to you before your current card expires. The validity date of your digital card will be updated at the end of your current qualification period.

4. I want to upgrade to a higher level. Will I also be compensated?
Our measures enable Elite members to maintain their current level. It is not applicable for members who wish to upgrade to a higher level.

5. Will I keep my current XP balance in my next qualification period?
We will automatically offset the number of XP needed to maintain or upgrade a level. Any surplus XP will remain on your account. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

6. What will happen to my years counting towards Platinum for life?
If you keep your current level during your next qualification period based on our special measures that membership year will count towards the 10 consecutive years needed to qualify for Platinum for life. For example:

· You have been a Platinum member for 9 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained and reach 10 consecutive years of Platinum. On 1 January 2021, your new qualificaiton period starts and on 1 April 2021, we will change your level to Platinum for life.
· You have been a Platinum member for 7 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained. On 1 January 2021, your 8th consecutive year of Platinum will start.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: status extensions confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
Originally Posted by hfly
oh please, want to quote rules? Then the majority of people on this thread should not qualify for any status whatsoever next year because the rules say that if you do not get enough XP's, then you don't qualify. So FB throws you a bone, and essentially those with a bit of rollover or who actually got seemingly any flying whatsoever in in the first 2 months of the year whine that they are losing some XP's and won't be able to requalify the year AFTER next. Guess what, if FB changed that bit of it (XP removal) then half these same people will be moaning about something else.

For the record, I am not moaning, just pointing out how ridiculous some people are and should appreciate how good they have it............... being and how this is in essence neither a "first world problem" or a 1%" problem, but essentially a "1% 1st World problem".
You complain that in past years:
1. there was no carryover (it was not foreseen by rules, you were not wronged)
2. Once you have reached the PFL status there are no further "advantages" or "attentions" (also in this case, you cannot complain, your advantage of being PFL is still recognized to you... what do you want?).

It is not for me to decide how to qualify, but as I expressed a few posts ago: EVERYONE and I repeat EVERYONE had the opportunity to travel in the first three months (January / March), without the covid problem affecting travel schedule.
I don't see why those who traveled the first three months should be put on a par with those who, under the same conditions, did not generate XP.
In order not to harm anyone and not to "burn" the XP that the members have earned the first three months, we should:
1. give the status acquired in 2020 also for 2021.
2. carry over XP for those who have already acquired it.

Another point: don't tell me that a question like this, which leads AFKL to change the "rules of the game" in the running is comparable to your thinking "and we who have accumulated the PFL with different thresholds? You are now more advantaged, we we didn't have the carryover and bla bla bla"
Once again, I notice that arrogance is at home: was it necessary to spit sentences accusing others who do not have your idea of being ridiculous? my compliments!
vinnyc and HalconBCN like this.

Last edited by AZ112; Apr 29, 2020 at 10:14 am
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
So FB throws you a bone, and essentially those with a bit of rollover or who actually got seemingly any flying whatsoever in in the first 2 months of the year whine that they are losing some XP's and won't be able to requalify the year AFTER next.
Which year are you referring to? This current qualification year or the next? First, the qualification year for each member is now spread over the year. Second, those who got rollover during this year qualification period (rolled over from last year) or who got to fly a bit for those 2 months pre-"COVID-19" and accumulated some XP are not the members we are talking about.

Those ones, like you said, would have lost their XP and not re-qualified, as you said. And even with the "bone" thrown by FB, they would have received only the differential XP to attain their respective Elite threshold and would have lost their XP anyway during the reset. Those ones are the ones benefitting from the special COVID-19 commercial gesture and those would never have complained anyway.

We are talking here about the members who have already re-qualified this current qualification year pre-"COVID-19", having accumulated enough XP to reach (or higher than) their respective Elite threshold.

I therefore don't see your point.

Guess what, if FB changed that bit of it (XP removal) then half these same people will be moaning about something else.
Well, considering that the only meaningful complain we have seen and read so far on this forum, following the FB COVID-19 special actions, relate to the precise XP rollover issue, I do challenge you to provide some examples of what could be complained about. Please be my guest and creative & imaginative.

It's not about making everyone happy, but make a vast majority happy, and the thing is that the population of the FB members like me who had already re-qualified with rollover seems to be pretty significant (unless we are a very very very vocal minority...).

For the record, I am not moaning, just pointing out how ridiculous some people are and should appreciate how good they have it............... being and how this is in essence neither a "first world problem" or a 1%" problem, but essentially a "1% 1st World problem".

My turn to say "Oh please".
Once again, this is not the "World" here. It's FlyerTalk, AF–KLM | Flying Blue sub-forum, dedicated to debate and discussions like this. We have a "concentrated" population comprised of FFP experts.

Stop your grandiloquent speech. There are always bad things happening in the world, we can only but acknowledge them and be sympathetic (which we are). It doesn't mean that we should not be speaking about this.

And this makes you hypocritical as well, being yet a member coming here to argue with us and shaming us, while there are so many serious things happening in the world. Start your preaching with yourself by staying away from the discussion if this lowers too much.

vinnyc
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
AZ112, HalconBCN, PeteM01 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by AZ112

It is not for me to decide how to qualify, but as I expressed a few posts ago: EVERYONE and I repeat EVERYONE had the opportunity to travel in the first three months (January / March), without the covid problem affecting travel schedule.
I don't see why those who traveled the first three months should be put on a par with those who, under the same conditions, did not generate XP.
Just a question, not arguing (I am done with that...):

Should we consider those customer that rack up their XPs in the spring -summer period as less loyal or lesser customers of FB?
If the Covid crisis had grounded airlines in November-March instead of March-July, would those that now are better customers because they collected many XPs before March suddenly become lesser customers? And the ones that collect their XP in spring/summer suddenly be great customers again?

Just asking to understand the logic. Thank you.
KLBGO likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:19 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Time for a time out.

Gajan

AF/KL co-moderator
more4less, Weean, Fabo.sk and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
Flying Blue Status Extension?

BAEC is the latest FFP that decided to extend member's status for a year, after the only lowered qualifying requirements (Which people were not happy with).

This makes me wonder if AF/KLM will do anything about status extensions for FB. So far we have been hit with changes that helped some and screwed some, but not extension for everyone. Would this pressure them to do a status extension to everyone, without taking XP, like most other FFPs have done?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AHC96
BAEC is the latest FFP that decided to extend member's status for a year, after the only lowered qualifying requirements (Which people were not happy with).

This makes me wonder if AF/KLM will do anything about status extensions for FB. So far we have been hit with changes that helped some and screwed some, but not extension for everyone. Would this pressure them to do a status extension to everyone, without taking XP, like most other FFPs have done?
AIUI, BA's extension has the same effect as what FB have done: if you would not have qualified for renewal, then the extension means that you will not be downgraded. OTOH, if you would have qualified anyway, the extension adds nothing. That is pretty much what is happening with FB anyway.

The one thing that makes a potential difference for some is the lowering of the qualification thresholds in addition to the extension.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
AIUI, BA's extension has the same effect as what FB have done: if you would not have qualified for renewal, then the extension means that you will not be downgraded. OTOH, if you would have qualified anyway, the extension adds nothing. That is pretty much what is happening with FB anyway.

The one thing that makes a potential difference for some is the lowering of the qualification thresholds in addition to the extension.
That's not how I understood it. BA's extension would not deduct tier points (Unless your status ends in April, May or June 2020), which would be the main difference with AF/KLM.
vinnyc likes this.

Last edited by AHC96; Jun 11, 2020 at 8:36 am
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not how I understood it. BA's extension would not take any tier points to renew it (Unless your status ends in April, May or June 2020), which would be the main difference with AF/KLM.
Your TP count will be reset at the membership anniversary as before. Unlike FB, BAEC does not allow you to carry TPs forward to the following year and there is nothing in the communication to suggest that this year would be any different in that respect.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:57 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Let’s reopen this one now in case there are people who want to discuss this in a friendly manner.

I think we all know that the extension method is not that beneficial for members who have a rollover balance. FB is aware of this, so in my opinion there is no need to discuss this further.

In case you would like to opt-out of the pro bono status extension, please provide me with your FB number and I can pass that along to FB for appropriate action
Old Jun 11, 2020, 9:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by NickB
Your TP count will be reset at the membership anniversary as before. Unlike FB, BAEC does not allow you to carry TPs forward to the following year and there is nothing in the communication to suggest that this year would be any different in that respect.
However, any TP collected DOES count for your BAEC lifetime status, so in that retrospect, it is not wasted.
vinnyc likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Thank you Gajan. Let's have a discussion with "cooler" minds after the heated previous exchanges.

It is also welcome from a timing standpoint, now that BA has unveiled their status extension program, and we should merge with the other thread ("Flying Blue Status Extension?") that was created today by AHC96.

Cheers,
vinnyc
Gajan likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thysk
However, any TP collected DOES count for your BAEC lifetime status, so in that retrospect, it is not wasted.
I am not sure that I follow your point here, especially as lifetime Plat status on FB is much easier to achieve that lifetime Gold status on BA (which requires the equivalent in TPs of over 23 years of Gold status, albeit admittedly not continuously). In effect, they are not "wasted" only because the BA scheme is considerably less generous and requires far, far more than 10 years of Gold status. If I had the choice between a scheme in which you get BA Gold after ten years of Gold status and one, like the present one, where you get gold after accumulating 35K TPs, I know which one I (and I suspect the overwhelming majority of BAEC members) would choose in a heartbeat.
brunos and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Gajan
I think we all know that the extension method is not that beneficial for members who have a rollover balance. FB is aware of this, so in my opinion there is no need to discuss this further.

In case you would like to opt-out of the pro bono status extension, please provide me with your FB number and I can pass that along to FB for appropriate action
Can you elaborate on your relationship with FB? As this sounds like quite an unofficial approach. 😊
mikem004 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
This makes me wonder if AF/KLM will do anything about status extensions for FB.
They already extended everyone's status. This is old news; it happened in April.

Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Smiles/GOL Diamond, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
They already extended everyone's status. This is old news; it happened in April.

Inaccurate information.
They extended status for those that did not reach threshold. For those who collected enough XP, nothing special happened. Please be careful with what you provide.
PeteM01 and Thysk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.