Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
URL to information: https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/news/coronavirus-updates

Update 16/4/20

At this stage measurements which have been taken are for status maintain only. We are well aware that customers can also be impacted by less chance for an upgrade and/or reduced opportunities to carry over XP to the next year. We are constantly monitoring the evolution of the situation and are adjusting our policies accordingly. Should there be additional measures to compensate those impacts too, we will let our Flying Blue members know as soon as possible.
Update 15/4/20

In challenging times like today, travelling has become more difficult due to reasons beyond your control. In these trying times, we want to remove any uncertainty you may have about your Flying Blue Elite level.

We have put the following actions in place:

- We will maintain all Flying Blue Elite members with a qualification period ending between March 2020 and February 2021 for another 12 months.
- We will prevent all Miles from expiring between now and the end of 2020 for all our Explorer members.
From the Q&A that will be shared later today:

2. Will I keep my current level in my next qualification period?
In case your qualification period ends between March 2020 and February 2021, you will keep your current level even if you don’t reach the XP objective. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

3. When will I see this XP measure in my online account?
Not until the first day in your new qualification period will you see in your online account that your current level is maintained. In your activity overview, you’ll find either ‘XP offered by Flying Blue’ with the number of XP that are credited to reach the XP objective, or ‘Counter offset’ with the XP objective deducted from your counter. A new card will be sent to you before your current card expires. The validity date of your digital card will be updated at the end of your current qualification period.

4. I want to upgrade to a higher level. Will I also be compensated?
Our measures enable Elite members to maintain their current level. It is not applicable for members who wish to upgrade to a higher level.

5. Will I keep my current XP balance in my next qualification period?
We will automatically offset the number of XP needed to maintain or upgrade a level. Any surplus XP will remain on your account. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

6. What will happen to my years counting towards Platinum for life?
If you keep your current level during your next qualification period based on our special measures that membership year will count towards the 10 consecutive years needed to qualify for Platinum for life. For example:

· You have been a Platinum member for 9 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained and reach 10 consecutive years of Platinum. On 1 January 2021, your new qualificaiton period starts and on 1 April 2021, we will change your level to Platinum for life.
· You have been a Platinum member for 7 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained. On 1 January 2021, your 8th consecutive year of Platinum will start.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: status extensions confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:42 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Antoon33
“A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level”

So basically the good customer who flew a lot and had 450 XP already gets no free XP while the platinum client who did not fly any segments during its qualification period gets 300 free XP! Incredibly unfair for the best clients!

Any recommendation for a good status match option for a less stingy airline such as Delta:
“Rollover for all 2020 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) earned on flight spend or your eligible Delta SkyMiles American Express Card. All 2020 MQMs will be rolled over to 2021 for qualification towards 2022”
Unless I am mistaken, with Delta the MQD are reset. So you would need to meet the appropriate spend to reach the tier in any case.
irishguy28 and Goldorak like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gajan
Unless I am mistaken, with Delta the MQD are reset. So you would need to meet the appropriate spend to reach the tier in any case.
True. But those who were planning on having MQMs rolled over will have them while no one was expecting to rollover any MQD.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by nldogbert
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedAs someone with load of rollover XP's I'm more in favour of them just NOT doing anything and those that lose status, lose it, and those that have sufficient rollover XP's maintains the status if sufficient. This way I as someone that flew and have my business to the alliance will not feel so unfairly treated....as usual, they must have some crazy intern coming up with such a scheme...

This way, at least it will reduce the number of pax eligible for the SkyPriority access especially the lounges and during boarding...in a fair way.
AF/KL look what is best for them not to loose customers, and extending the status is one of best solutions, with a minimum cost.

Not everybody will like the idea but few Plat members will stop flying on AF/KL because of this.
irishguy28 and Goldorak like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You won't lose any rollover XPs - they're not changing the rollover system. Any rollover you have will carry over to the following year.

I guess your gripe is that you won't be receiving any "XP offered by Flying Blue", but as in your case you didn't need them, then they won't be adding to your total to give you extra rollover!

(Note: they are clear that they only want to preserve everyone's status, so the help is for those who can't do what you have already managed to do (or, using rollover from years ago, already had built up). Their intention is not to help people increase their status. As you are platinum that is less of an issue, but if they just added an amount* to everyone's account regardless, that would go towards helping lots of people to increase in status. I guess we can also take it that, for those Platinums carrying large Rollover balances, they don't want to increase that. To feel that you are losing out comes from a perspective where you think people fly only for status, and that therefore everyone else won't need to bother flying, and that you ultimately didn't need to fly either, had you only known)

*amount - it's also difficult to know what amount everyone should get, if it is not chosen, as in this scheme, to be the amount that it is just enough to maintain status. I'm sure you might come with a figure that you would find acceptable or fair, based solely on your circumstances - but imagine if they then added that same fixed amount to everyone's account. That would have all sorts of different outcomes - rather than, as in the current scheme, ensuring that everyone who currently holds status will, at the very least, retain that status for another year.
Rollover XPs are a big part of my strategy year over year. This year, I will mint far fewer XPs (but yes, still more than 300) because I couldn't fly. My rollover XPs matter because I fly in bursts and unforeseeable patterns, because I may be sick or any number of reasons that make having XPs in the bank safer in terms of keeping my status year and year.

So this year, I too have a deficit of earned XPs -- just like everybody else. I Had 'extra' loyalty, that I built up overtime, and instead of acknowledging that everyone will have a deficit (wherever they were in the overall scale), it's resetting 'extra' frequent flyers and 'regular' frequent flyers on the same line for _next_ year. That's the big distinction.

But here's the thing where perhaps this wasn't very well thought out for them: Ok, this year, I -- and everybody else -- don't risk to lose my status. But maybe next year I will since my nest of XPs will be gone. If I don't requalify _next year_, then I'll reevaluate my loyalty next year.

So in fact, specifically for 'extra' frequent flyers, there are negative incentives to the approach that AF puts in place.

Pity ...
saraoutou and Carel1 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by more4less
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined

AF/KL look what is best for them not to loose customers, and extending the status is one of best solutions, with a minimum cost.

Not everybody will like the idea but few Plat members will stop flying on AF/KL because of this.
So far I wasn't worried thinking they would lower the threshold or gift some XP and I was happy to reschedule my flights or take a voucher to help the airline with its cash flow but since I'm being left on my own to weather the storm, I'm going to start thinking more about myself and less about the airline.
Had I not moved flights over to AF/KL in the last few years, I would be granted all those XPs for free and be at the same point at the end of the year.
Lesson learned.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Mirk
So far I wasn't worried thinking they would lower the threshold or gift some XP and I was happy to reschedule my flights or take a voucher to help the airline with its cash flow but since I'm being left on my own to weather the storm, I'm going to start thinking more about myself and less about the airline.
Had I not moved flights over to AF/KL in the last few years, I would be granted all those XPs for free and be at the same point at the end of the year.
Lesson learned.
Serious question - were you really putting the airline above all other considerations when moving flights over to AF/KL in the last few years?

And if so, why?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:29 am

Serious question - were you really putting the airline above all other considerations when moving flights over to AF/KL in the last few years?

And if so, why?
Back then the reason was building up a stock of XP, the benefits and the quality of the service even though it meant higher prices and slightly longer travel time.

What I meant there was that right now, I was happy to basically give 0% interest loans to the airline instead of chasing a refund. I also occasionally use my PriorityPass card that comes with my Amex instead of using elite status to get into third party lounges.
Not a big deal and will be more selfish in the future I guess.
gaukuser and saraoutou like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

*amount - it's also difficult to know what amount everyone should get, if it is not chosen, as in this scheme, to be the amount that it is just enough to maintain status. I'm sure you might come with a figure that you would find acceptable or fair, based solely on your circumstances - but imagine if they then added that same fixed amount to everyone's account. That would have all sorts of different outcomes - rather than, as in the current scheme, ensuring that everyone who currently holds status will, at the very least, retain that status for another year.
Actually, it occurred to me - another option would have been to ensure that everyone's XP balance, on the last day of their membership year, was brought up to the amount they had accumulated on that date a year earlier, had they not already exceeded that.

Therefore, they would have given you the same number of XPs as you had accumulated last year.

And for those Platinums carrying large rollover balances, it would have restored them back to their total of 12 months previously, if they had had a "fallow" year.

It probably would have been the fairest way of selecting an XP target for each status holder - given that it was determined entirely by that person's most recent Corona-free year of travel.
Carel1, Mirk and PeteM01 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:01 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
While it is good to see that FB has decided to ease the requirements as to keeping status, I too agree that this is not a great way of doing it.

Many people that fly often will already have some sort of a buffer of rollover XPs, to make sure that they do not lose status in case a difficult year comes along. Those people will likely partially/fully requalify based on their rollover miles only and not receive anything from FB. They will start next year without their buffer as that buffer would be 'used up' this year.

While people who have not been building a buffer of rollover XP's, in the end, will get comped by FB and also start next year at exactly the same point: With no rollover XPs.

So yes, pretty much everybody will start next year in the same way. Without buffer. But I do consider that a bit unfair to the people who have been building their buffer, myself included, as basically that work is now lost...or at least it has become useless. Even without it one would have been comped by FB and end up with the same result.

It would have been much fairer, in my opinion, if AF would have just credited 100/180/300XP's to everyones account. Or a part of that ...assuming that we have flown the first few months, and will fly the last few months this year. Crediting everyone 50/90/150XP would have been fine as well.

Last edited by Xandrios; Apr 15, 2020 at 7:04 am Reason: Whats with the 'undefined' URL's appearing in the posts?!
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:06 am

for me, the best way would have been to push the current xp/level status of each member to next year, this would keep the Elites happy and the other members sweet to keep them on-board
The doomed likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
It would have been much fairer, in my opinion, if AF would have just credited 100/180/300XP's to everyones account. Or a part of that ...assuming that we have flown the first few months, and will fly the last few months this year. Crediting everyone 50/90/150XP would have been fine as well.
Your idea of crediting 100/180/300 is basically a nicer elaboration of my idea from the previous post - it kind of wipes out one entire year, which everyone gets for free, and everyone can start again in their 2020/2021 year in exactly the same position as they originally started the current disrupted 2019/2020 membership year.

The more I think about it, the more elegant and simple it seems.

And yes, i was just going to point out about the proliferation of those random "undefined" URLs in many posts in this thread!
more4less and Carel1 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gajan
See wiki post
Dear Gajan,

Is there any chance that the information was released in this manner in order to gauge our reaction? And is FB reading this thread?

I think we have, between us, crowdsourced a better solution that would be more acceptable and equitable rather than their proposed workaround (although I personally have no particular objection to the proposed solution).

A simple addition of 100 to each Silver account, 180 to each Gold account, and 300 to each Platinum account, would allow each status member to start their next membership year in at least as good a position as they started the current year (which for most will be a total write-off)

It may even assist some Silvers and Golds to climb in status, but that shouldn't be seen as a bad thing, surely? It may even more strongly foster loyalty in those members.

A bit of a gesture isn't a bad thing, given that AFKL has taken interest-free loans from most of us...
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Dear Gajan,

Is there any chance that the information was released in this manner in order to gauge our reaction? And is FB reading this thread?

I think we have, between us, crowdsourced a better solution that would be more acceptable and equitable rather than their proposed workaround (although I personally have no particular objection to the proposed solution).

A simple addition of 100 to each Silver account, 180 to each Gold account, and 300 to each Platinum account, would allow each status member to start their next membership year in at least as good a position as they started the current year (which for most will be a total write-off)

It may even assist some Silvers and Golds to climb in status, but that shouldn't be seen as a bad thing, surely? It may even more strongly foster loyalty in those members.

A bit of a gesture isn't a bad thing, given that AFKL has taken interest-free loans from most of us...
Spot on.
​​​​​
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
News for Ultimates: FB adds 900 UXP to members' accounts at the end of June 2020.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
News for Ultimates: FB adds 900 UXP to members' accounts at the end of June 2020.
Now it gets interesting.... Rules for one and rules for another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.