Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
URL to information: https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/news/coronavirus-updates

Update 16/4/20

At this stage measurements which have been taken are for status maintain only. We are well aware that customers can also be impacted by less chance for an upgrade and/or reduced opportunities to carry over XP to the next year. We are constantly monitoring the evolution of the situation and are adjusting our policies accordingly. Should there be additional measures to compensate those impacts too, we will let our Flying Blue members know as soon as possible.
Update 15/4/20

In challenging times like today, travelling has become more difficult due to reasons beyond your control. In these trying times, we want to remove any uncertainty you may have about your Flying Blue Elite level.

We have put the following actions in place:

- We will maintain all Flying Blue Elite members with a qualification period ending between March 2020 and February 2021 for another 12 months.
- We will prevent all Miles from expiring between now and the end of 2020 for all our Explorer members.
From the Q&A that will be shared later today:

2. Will I keep my current level in my next qualification period?
In case your qualification period ends between March 2020 and February 2021, you will keep your current level even if you dont reach the XP objective. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

3. When will I see this XP measure in my online account?
Not until the first day in your new qualification period will you see in your online account that your current level is maintained. In your activity overview, youll find either XP offered by Flying Blue with the number of XP that are credited to reach the XP objective, or Counter offset with the XP objective deducted from your counter. A new card will be sent to you before your current card expires. The validity date of your digital card will be updated at the end of your current qualification period.

4. I want to upgrade to a higher level. Will I also be compensated?
Our measures enable Elite members to maintain their current level. It is not applicable for members who wish to upgrade to a higher level.

5. Will I keep my current XP balance in my next qualification period?
We will automatically offset the number of XP needed to maintain or upgrade a level. Any surplus XP will remain on your account. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

6. What will happen to my years counting towards Platinum for life?
If you keep your current level during your next qualification period based on our special measures that membership year will count towards the 10 consecutive years needed to qualify for Platinum for life. For example:

You have been a Platinum member for 9 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained and reach 10 consecutive years of Platinum. On 1 January 2021, your new qualificaiton period starts and on 1 April 2021, we will change your level to Platinum for life.
You have been a Platinum member for 7 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained. On 1 January 2021, your 8th consecutive year of Platinum will start.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: status extensions confirmed

Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
The big thing missing of course is what are they (and for that matter most others) doing for Lifetime members? XP's and UXP's or status extensions only matter to a small number of Lifetime Plats, many fly more, and many fly less, but I wonder if FB, not to mention other programs might want to think about throwing some sort of carrot at Lifetime members?
Lifetime members already have their status secured for life.

As such, there is no question of these members losing status as a result of travel disruption.

All FFPs are bringing in measures to prevent people losing their status. I'm not quite sure what extra measures you feel Lifetime Plats should be given, as this outcome cannot befall them.

Surely a 6 month break from all travel is the gift that these people need the most?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, but ultimately what is the purpose of extending status? Keeping the loyalty of your customers so that when things do get back to normal, they continue to spend money with your company, correct? If all FB people lost their status because they could not fly, that would be a factor in many people choosing to use other carriers or alliances or whatever, right? They are afterall loyalty programs. So what happens when they all give a years extension (which is what the situation will shortly be? Well then everyone is even. In the case of the US carriers however, AA waited an extra week and came out with a bunch of quirks which in fact make their plan a whole lot more compelling and better for their customers? They are even allowing (again, last was a decade ago) all AA earned Credit card points to count toward Lifetime Status.

So I do think that offering some sort of carrot, even if it is flight or whatever based, for when things get more normal, and aimed at lifetime members might be a good move.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
Wouldn't be 150 XP fair for Plat instead, as Ulti must reach 1800 XP during 2 years?
um, i m not sure if i follow. Ultis get 900 xp for the year -- which is a-pace what 1800 ulti XP are over 2 years.
Meanwhile, the regular qualifying period of all other statuses is a year -- so, yeah, 300 XPs, the full a-pace XP threshold.

(Put it another way, if Platinum was earned over a two year period at the same pace, the threshold would be 600 XP. So, for a year period: 300 XP)

But maybe I m missing something with your comment ...
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
The big thing missing of course is what are they (and for that matter most others) doing for Lifetime members? XP's and UXP's or status extensions only matter to a small number of Lifetime Plats, many fly more, and many fly less, but I wonder if FB, not to mention other programs might want to think about throwing some sort of carrot at Lifetime members?
What should they be doing for lifetime members? Extending their lifetime status into another lifetime?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: FB Ultimate, Accor Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond,Avis President, Hertz President Club
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I suppose you have seen the news for Ultimate ?
Ohh yes Good news
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Club2000 Ultimate / M&M HON Circle / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Tonic27
No..... We're loosing out !
.....ULTI'S now have a very nice helping hand.....900uxp credited.
Those that don't fly that often are being helped with xp boosted.
Members like me who have more than 300xp are being forgotten about.
Please tell me how this is fair on any level ???
Regarding Ulti, this is clearly a nice move and FB is definitely treating us well and that's fair.
As an example and without the 900 UXP bonus, I already have 1660 UXP with over 3000 XP which means a lot of flights in the past years.

Can we blame FB to treat us well and help us to remain Ulti ? I find it pretty normal considering the revenue we bring them for several years.

Regarding your specific case, I understand your point vs ppl that flew less but the main point was to maintain status, right ?
In that case, that's the case for you and the others so objective reached !

I guess you were not expecting to become Ulti so would not have received extra benefits rather than the Plat ones so no change here.
The only frustration comes from the fact that some travellers are being helped more than others but that would not downgrade your Plat level and the linked benefits
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by gaukuser
um, i m not sure if i follow. Ultis get 900 xp for the year -- which is a-pace what 1800 ulti XP are over 2 years.
Meanwhile, the regular qualifying period of all other statuses is a year -- so, yeah, 300 XPs, the full a-pace XP threshold.

(Put it another way, if Platinum was earned over a two year period at the same pace, the threshold would be 600 XP. So, for a year period: 300 XP)

But maybe I m missing something with your comment ...
We are talking about rollover ONLY here, ok?

FB has 4 members, Skyteam has 20 +/- members
Ulti can choose to fly EXCLUSIVELY 2 airlines ultimately. so their gift is well deserved!

We are all in the same boat as my Plat status is guaranteed until June 2023 anyway (technically September 2023)...

On a totally different note,

Irishguy's term should be referenced for good !
After the previous "cheap Gold" before FB changes back in 2016; Here comes the cute little " Hamster Platinum" rodent trend
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
We are talking about rollover ONLY here, ok?

FB has 4 members, Skyteam has 20 +/- members
Ulti can choose to fly EXCLUSIVELY 2 airlines ultimately. so their gift is well deserved!

We are all in the same boat as my Plat status is guaranteed until June 2023 anyway (technically September 2023)...

On a totally different note,

After the previous "cheap Gold" before FB changes back in 2016; Here comes the cute little " Hamster Platinum" rodent trend
In addition, UXPs don't rollover, so basically they're lowering the qualification criteria with 1 year, which is exactly what's happening for plat/gold/silver - only there 1yr = 100% and for ulti 1yr is 50% of the qualification period. However I'd be very happy with receiving 300XP, XPs do rollover so that would add up to the stack of XPs, which the 900 UXP don't.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, dunno, maybe state some sort of threshold bonuses? Maybe offer some sort of new and easily usable upgrade product? Perhaps announce some new perks? Maybe at the same time beef up Ulti while they are at it. Maybe try and become a truly leading FFP and airline group? Lots of ideas. There are a lot of things that they can do,
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
What should they be doing for lifetime members? Extending their lifetime status into another lifetime?

Might be a good selling point to market AF/KL and Flying Blue among devout Hindus!
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:13 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Update from Flying Blue (16/4/20)

Hi All,

Please see below message from Flying Blue.

At this stage measurements which have been taken are for status maintain only. We are well aware that customers can also be impacted by less chance for an upgrade and/or reduced opportunities to carry over XP to the next year. We are constantly monitoring the evolution of the situation and are adjusting our policies accordingly. Should there be additional measures to compensate those impacts too, we will let our Flying Blue members know as soon as possible.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
i've become Gold on the cheap with the changes, if they did just give everyone 180XP now, I would actually become Plat... I'm on board with this trend! What's next then, capybara LTP or Ulti?

Hmm, dunno, maybe state some sort of threshold bonuses? Maybe offer some sort of new and easily usable upgrade product? Perhaps announce some new perks? Maybe at the same time beef up Ulti while they are at it. Maybe try and become a truly leading FFP and airline group? Lots of ideas. There are a lot of things that they can do,
Would this be in any way a point to lure LTP back into flying? I don't know. I don't see much value in going for LTP in particular.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Originally Posted by Gajan
Please see below message from Flying Blue.
I suspect they got a lot of push back/negativity from their Platinum members.

And I'm honestly not looking for a free handout of XP as they did with Ulti's, these flyers are a special case that bring in a f-ton of money.
I say just freeze all Platinum status for 1 year and don't deduct XP. Don't make it count towards PFL, reducing the financial impact on AFKL side as well.
Pierre&Cdric likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Wunk
I suspect they got a lot of push back/negativity from their Platinum members.

And I'm honestly not looking for a free handout of XP as they did with Ulti's, these flyers are a special case that bring in a f-ton of money.
I say just freeze all Platinum status for 1 year and don't deduct XP. Don't make it count towards PFL, reducing the financial impact on AFKL side as well.
Fully agree! No XPs deducted / no year validated for PFL.
Like 2020 never happened, which is the case as all planes are grounded.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by Wunk
I think is is highly unlikely that AFKL can or might even want to backtrack from the already announced policy of extending statuses by a year. Imagine the (justified) outcry by others if that would happen and they reverse on an announced policy!

Yes what you say might have made most sense from the start, but it is too late for that. If they will do something it might be in the form of extra rollover XPs but I can't see anything else happening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.