FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   COVID-19: status extensions confirmed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/2010843-covid-19-status-extensions-confirmed.html)

Festou Feb 28, 2020 12:44 am

COVID-19: status extensions confirmed

Good morning everyone,
My trips to asia have been cancelled by my company due to covid 19 and so, it would be very unlikely that I requalify for Platinum during the required period. A lot of my XP come for my long haul travels to Asia... Do you think FB would consider extending the qualification period ? Maybe if I send them my flying patterns from last year ?
Has this ever been asked ? or happened in the past ?
Thank you !

LondonElite Feb 28, 2020 12:51 am

Ask again at the end of your qualifying year.

brunos Feb 28, 2020 7:52 am

The situation will get worse before it gets better and a lot of FB members will be affected. But that is not a major current priority for AF who is facing, like many other airlines, serious loss of pax and therefore money. I assume that they will deal with it in due time. In the meanwhile ask when your year ends, but they might not be immediately reactive.

Wimsta Feb 28, 2020 10:35 am

I had issues with booking flights due to the government shutdown, which caused me to drop from PM to GM.

About 3 months later they introduced the "reclaim my status" and I used that. So you may want to keep in mind that there is another option (unless you've already used it).

But, as for your initial question, I don't expect there to me more sensitivity about the current event than there was about the govt. shutdown.

That said, I hope that things do not go sideways, I've made a plan for earning DM this year, and it would be hard to make if any of my flights to Asia do not end up working out.

itaexpat Mar 3, 2020 7:29 am

Status extension due to COVID-19

My US-based company has prohibited all international travel for the foreseeable future (likely the next 90 days). I had to cancel a very lucrative trip to Europe that would have easily reconfirmed Gold for the next year -- I have until May 31. I asked Flying Blue for an extension that was not granted, and I quote:

"It is enough time in which you can take flights to areas not affected by restrictions and with eligibles Partners.

The CV-19 situation is not a valid reason now for such exception."

I understand their rationale, and it's still a bit early to make arguments for exceptions, but I wonder what other folks in this forum think. Are other people affected like me? Do we think FB may change its mind once the impact of COVID-19 on travel becomes more quantifiable? Personally, the difference between Silver and Gold is enough that I'm inclined to "fight" a bit more for this. It really is a bummer that I have to lose status for circumstances way beyond my control when I had made all the necessary bookings and was on a perfect track.

Gajan Mar 3, 2020 8:01 am

I’d say that this may be something that has not yet been decided, but may be decided in the (near) future. On the whole, (air) travel is down so it may be that their position may change.

hfly Mar 3, 2020 11:39 am

Having been through several crisis like this over the years, AF/KL will probably do one (or several) of the following based on duration:

1) Drop requirements overall for status. I remember after the Gulf War (I think) they dropped status requirements by about 30%.
2) If it goes on for a long time (I believe SARS time) KLM just renewed everyone for an additional year.
3) They may choose to do either of the above solely for an effected region, such as Asia based members for example.

irishguy28 Mar 3, 2020 12:27 pm

I am sure that FB will, in due course, be in touch with its status members.

I think it's far more likely they would make some kind of general exemption/extension, rather than handling (hundreds of) thousands of queries on an individual basis.

hfly Mar 3, 2020 1:05 pm

This is what KLM sent out at the end of 2003, now keep in mind that SARS was in the early part of the year, hitting its peak in MAR-MAY, and the following was sent in early December 2003:

"New year. Great news!

December 31 is an important date for the FD program and its members: all Miles and flight balances are then reviewed and the membership level for all members is determined for the coming year.

In the realization that this past year external factors such as SARS, the war in Iraq and the overall economic situation have impacted travel of many FD members, KLM’s Executive Vice President Commercial Paul Gregorowitsch sent a letter in April to members stating that we would maintain the utmost flexibility on reviewal of the FD membership levels at the end of the year.

And that is exactly what we will do! We are very happy to announce that:

All Platinum Elite members will stay at their current level for the next program year (regardless of the number of registered flights);

Gold and Silver Elite members will stay at their current level for the next program year provided they have made at least one boarding in 2003.

Please note that as part of the program conditions, all Level Miles and flight balances will be brought back to zero on completion of the annual level check.

All Elite members will be sent their new 2004 FD card by post by the end of February. Your old Elite card remains valid till that time."

hfly Mar 3, 2020 1:19 pm

At the beginning of the last quarter of 2009, in order to help out those effected by the financial crisis, they sent these out:

"
Flying Blue wants to welcome you as a Platinum member in 2010. So here, just for you, is a special boost to make it easier for you to Fly up to Platinum.

If the amount of your Level Miles is at least 60000 Level Miles on
31 December 2009, you will then be upgraded to Platinum status in 2010! (Instead of 70000 normally required by the programme).

All you have to do is fly* with AIR FRANCE, KLM or any SkyTeam partner airline until the end of December.

As soon as you reach the number of Level Miles required, you will then
be upgraded to Platinum, and enjoy all the benefits and exclusive services it gives you."

"Flying Blue wants to help you to stay a Gold member in 2010. So here, just for you, is a special boost to make it easier.
Stay a Gold member

If the amount of your Level Miles is at least 30000 Level Miles on
31 December 2009, you remain Gold in 2010!
(Instead of 40000 normally required by the programme).

All you have to do is fly* with AIR FRANCE, KLM or any SkyTeam partner airline until the end of December.

As soon as you reach the number of Level Miles required, you will then maintain your Gold level, as well as all the benefits and exclusive services it gives you.

So get flying now!"

hfly Mar 3, 2020 1:25 pm

At the end of 2010, they essentially did the same thing again:

"Given the effects of the crisis, it appears that the number of Elite and Elite Plus is highly to reduce year-end. AIR FRANCE KLM is launching two campaigns, in order to maintain current levels of membership and create short term sales this holiday season:
- Miles doubled
- Lower thresholds

Target
Most Flying Blue members targeted World (France included), regardless of the level , with an amount of Status Miles equal or above 10,000 Miles, recorded in the account at 11 October 2010 and the validity of the card is March 31, 2011 for Elite and Elite Plus members.

Note: Each customer is targeted for a single promotion and therefore can not benefit the 2.

In french:
Compte tenu des effets de la crise, il s´avère que le nombre d´Elite et Elite Plus risque fortement de diminuer en fin d´année. AIR FRANCE KLM lance donc 2 campagnes, afin de maintenir les niveaux actuels des adhérents et stimuler à court terme les ventes sur cette fin d´année :
- doublement de Miles
- diminution des seuils
Cible
La plupart des adhérents Flying Blue Monde ciblés (France inclus), quel que soit le niveau de carte, ayant un montant de Miles Statut supérieur ou égal à 10 000 Miles Statut, enregistré sur le compte au 11 octobre 2010 et dont la validité de la carte est le 31 mars 2011 pour les adhérents Elite et Elite Plus.
Remarque : chaque client n´est ciblé que pour 1 seule offre et ne peut donc pas bénéficier des 2."

hfly Mar 3, 2020 1:26 pm

I should also note that in 2007 they reduced mileage levels, so that while Platinum had been 100k, it became 75k, etc.

irishguy28 Mar 3, 2020 1:51 pm

From 2009:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...promotion.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...vel-miles.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...rest-year.html

Concerto Mar 3, 2020 2:18 pm

Now, the question is, will the extended year count towards Platinum for Life qualification?

irishguy28 Mar 3, 2020 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 32137910)
Now, the question is, will the extended year count towards Platinum for Life qualification?

Number one....don't assume yet that anyone gets an extra year of Platinum!
And number two...Platinum for LIfe is granted after ten continuous years of Platinum membership. They are not going to raise it to eleven years, either temporarily, or for.a subset of customers.