Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Flying Blue official statement about 2010 level promotion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2010, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)

(google trad from the french T.A. site)
oct 29 2010

Given the effects of the crisis, it appears that the number of Elite and Elite Plus is highly to reduce year-end. AIR FRANCE KLM is launching two campaigns, in order to maintain current levels of membership and create short term sales this holiday season:
- Miles doubled
- Lower thresholds

Target
Most Flying Blue members targeted World (France included), regardless of the level , with an amount of Status Miles equal or above 10,000 Miles, recorded in the account at 11 October 2010 and the validity of the card is March 31, 2011 for Elite and Elite Plus members.

Note: Each customer is targeted for a single promotion and therefore can not benefit the 2.

In french:
Compte tenu des effets de la crise, il s´avère que le nombre d´Elite et Elite Plus risque fortement de diminuer en fin d´année. AIR FRANCE KLM lance donc 2 campagnes, afin de maintenir les niveaux actuels des adhérents et stimuler à court terme les ventes sur cette fin d´année :
- doublement de Miles
- diminution des seuils
Cible
La plupart des adhérents Flying Blue Monde ciblés (France inclus), quel que soit le niveau de carte, ayant un montant de Miles Statut supérieur ou égal à 10 000 Miles Statut, enregistré sur le compte au 11 octobre 2010 et dont la validité de la carte est le 31 mars 2011 pour les adhérents Elite et Elite Plus.
Remarque : chaque client n´est ciblé que pour 1 seule offre et ne peut donc pas bénéficier des 2.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by delanotre
Compte tenu des effets de la crise
Funny how they forget to mention the effects of the FB April Fools program enhancements.

Johan
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Funny how they forget to mention the effects of the FB April Fools program enhancements.

Johan
^^

+1
Old Oct 30, 2010, 5:58 am

Programs: OZ G; FB G; HHonors Gold;
Originally Posted by saviox
^^

+1

I have only 4000 this year. so bad bad customer....

happy with *A now.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by wavyfly
I have only 4000 this year. so bad bad customer....

happy with *A now.
^ Thanks AFKL for showing me how nice it is to have a shiny Gold Senator card in my pocket! I never would have found out the benefits of flying *A without your insistence that I date around and your blunt hint that I wasn't really welcome anymore.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)

Johan
2010 is the first full year after cataclysmic april 2009.
Many frequent flyers understand now this bad decision.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,

Johan
Thought that that was actually the crisis they refer to.

No crisis at LH and BA!
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Originally Posted by delanotre
2010 is the first full year after cataclysmic april 2009.
Many frequent flyers understand now this bad decision.
Couldn't agree more. For me, I have almost a full year of material to compare *A redemption rates with FB. Shocking reality!
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: FBGold - and that's about it nowadays, with Silver to come shortly :<(
Redemption rates irritate us, but I find it even worse when I cannot even spend my miles:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...ng-promos.html
Old Oct 30, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi all,

What can I say? I'm still not feeling any loving ...

Whereas BA has been very kind to me this year. Need I say more?

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Oct 31, 2010, 1:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue, bmi, LH, UA, DL, AS, WN, AA, VX
Have to say that the good experiences I have had for the last 18 months on *A have made me all but forget that I have FB miles to burn/not be able to burn/have taken from me, etc.

I am even gonna be moving some extra biz to OW rather than do anything with ST. FB could have easily won me back, but I guess that was not on their spreadsheets.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I still think that FB type promotions are not as clever as BA EC ones.

- First of all, I don't see the point of the targetting. In a way, as noted by a fellow FT-er in the 'helping hand' thread, would it not make sense for FB to offer double qualifying miles even to people who requalified? Some of use are well above (and others are near) the 'accrue for next year' mark and would probably fly more as a result.

- Second, FB can never help giving the impression that they take with one hand what they give with the other (see my comment on the new significantly worsened accrual chart for DL flights)

- Third, by now, FB is clearly the worst of the three major FF programmes in Europe from the point of view of (1) elite qualification by miles and (2) reward one can buy with most flying patterns. This creates a huge paradox as now, FB is only competitive in terms of segments. The 1/4/09 changes should have aimed at encouraging people to fly on more expensive tickets. Instead, it was done in such a complex, unrealistic, and counter-productive way that instead, it encourages people to fly the CHEAPEST possible ticket if they are interested in elite status. People who fly in premium cabins do so because they can and would any way. I don't know anyone who fly in premium cabin on AF/KL 'just' to get the miles. But people who have to fly economy have an incentive to fly the cheapest to maximise their flight budget and qualify on segments.

- Fourth and last, FB is the only major FF programme in Europe which does not in any way encourage you to fly the programme's mother airlines. M&M have globally better accrual charts for LH-OS-LX, EC now makes it much more favourable to fly BA than partner airlines (more tier points on cheapest fares, 100% miles at least even in cheapest economy), and other airlines encourage the use of the mother airline (OK with upgrades, etc), but with AF and KL you get more or less no incentive to fly them rather than ST partners (except economy comfort for long haul KL). Result: I now often fly KE towards Asia and increasingly DL towards the Americas if flying ST because they provide generally better service and tend to be cheaper.

I am not trying to be wholly negative here. It is just that while I applaud the 'helping hand' as a short term measure, I still strongly believe that FB should think carefully about whether their programme is going the right way in the long term and whether the effects of 1/4/09 are consistent with what their great experts had forecasted. If so, then good for them and let they continue. If not, perhaps they will realise that while everyone makes mistakes, correcting them is a quality and not an admission of weakness.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 3:08 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by orbitmic

- First of all, I don't see the point of the targetting. In a way, as noted by a fellow FT-er in the 'helping hand' thread, would it not make sense for FB to offer double qualifying miles even to people who requalified? Some of use are well above (and others are near) the 'accrue for next year' mark and would probably fly more as a result.

- Second, FB can never help giving the impression that they take with one hand what they give with the other (see my comment on the new significantly worsened accrual chart for DL flights)

- Third, by now, FB is clearly the worst of the three major FF programmes in Europe from the point of view of (1) elite qualification by miles and (2) reward one can buy with most flying patterns. This creates a huge paradox as now, FB is only competitive in terms of segments. The 1/4/09 changes should have aimed at encouraging people to fly on more expensive tickets. Instead, it was done in such a complex, unrealistic, and counter-productive way that instead, it encourages people to fly the CHEAPEST possible ticket if they are interested in elite status. People who fly in premium cabins do so because they can and would any way. I don't know anyone who fly in premium cabin on AF/KL 'just' to get the miles. But people who have to fly economy have an incentive to fly the cheapest to maximise their flight budget and qualify on segments.

- Fourth and last, FB is the only major FF programme in Europe which does not in any way encourage you to fly the programme's mother airlines. M&M have globally better accrual charts for LH-OS-LX, EC now makes it much more favourable to fly BA than partner airlines (more tier points on cheapest fares, 100% miles at least even in cheapest economy), and other airlines encourage the use of the mother airline (OK with upgrades, etc), but with AF and KL you get more or less no incentive to fly them rather than ST partners (except economy comfort for long haul KL). Result: I now often fly KE towards Asia and increasingly DL towards the Americas if flying ST because they provide generally better service and tend to be cheaper.

I am not trying to be wholly negative here. It is just that while I applaud the 'helping hand' as a short term measure, I still strongly believe that FB should think carefully about whether their programme is going the right way in the long term and whether the effects of 1/4/09 are consistent with what their great experts had forecasted. If so, then good for them and let they continue. If not, perhaps they will realise that while everyone makes mistakes, correcting them is a quality and not an admission of weakness.
Great post ^!

I would love FB managers would read this forum but I guess I am asking too much.

I was not targeted(again) but I have only flown 3500 level miles in 2010, including 1500 in OK due to a rerouting.
If I had been targeted for double miles, now that I have already requalified for Sen up to 02/2014, I would have moved some up my coming trips from *A to ST/FB, but it will not happen.
Very likely they consider that I am a lost customer, so no need even worth trying.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci des tres pathetiques
- Fourth and last, FB is the only major FF programme in Europe which does not in any way encourage you to fly the programme's mother airlines.
FB Plats have free access to KL's comfort seats in Y.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

Well said!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.