Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF is trying to keep me by reducing level miles!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue - Gold, Marriott Rewards
AF is trying to keep me by reducing level miles!

LOL

Well, I guess some of you will start seeing messages from Flying Blue in order to maintain status!!! ROFL

I just got a message saying that they will reduce my level miles down to 30k instead of 40k in order for me to retain my Gold status in 2010!!!

Since the downgrade in their program, miles flown with AF equals ZERO!!!
Miles to fly with AF next year equals ZERO!!!

ROFL, they should have thought about that before they devalued their program, and I would have remained loyal to AF, but oh well, hindsight is always 20/20!!!

Silly, silly, FB!!!! ROFL

Last edited by medcaregenmgr; Oct 28, 2009 at 10:02 am
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I just got that email, too. But it's to do with reducing the level-mile qualification threshold from 40k down to 30k...the way you described it above ("reducing my level miles down to 30k") doesn't appear quite accurate!

There was an email to Plats mentioned here recently which offered them the chance to requalify by doubling both Award and Level miles for all flights for the rest of the year - a slightly better offer I think!!!!

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 28, 2009 at 10:01 am Reason: Added link
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:59 am
Original Poster

LOL, too little too late!

Flying Blue wants to help you to stay a Gold member in 2010. So here, just for you, is a special boost to make it easier.
Stay a Gold member

If the amount of your Level Miles is at least 30000 Level Miles on
31 December 2009, you remain Gold in 2010!
(Instead of 40000 normally required by the programme).

All you have to do is fly* with AIR FRANCE, KLM or any SkyTeam partner airline until the end of December.

As soon as you reach the number of Level Miles required, you will then maintain your Gold level, as well as all the benefits and exclusive services it gives you.

So get flying now!

Book now on
www.airfrance.com
www.klm.com
Check your Flying Blue account on
AIR FRANCE website
KLM website

Yours sincerely,

Herbert Verschuren
Director Flying Blue
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Trying to keep the Gold and Platinums I guess!

I guess FB is trying to make a last ditch effort to saving accounts! I guess that way they will look good in AF's eyes!!! That their devalued program is being taken well by their flyers! FB's games to AF now!

Well, my answer is very clear, AF lost my business 100% due to FB's poor performance, and if and when AF asks, I will gladly voice my opinion about AF.

So, flight on AF will remain ZERO!!! HA HA HA!!!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:07 am

Smile

Pleased to see they are reaping their just rewards. I have not used ST all year and don't feel like I've missed anything on LH, BA etc.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Even though it may sound satisfying, the drop in Plat and Gold must certainly be linked more to the economic crisis and companies reducing business travel (or making employees in coach, provoking waves of suicide all over the workplaces) than to the changes made to the Flying Fool Program.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Dynasty Flyer
I am sure that the economic situation has shown some drop in Gold and PLAT pax traveling on AF/KL, however I am also very certain that many of the Gold and PLAT members left AF/KL and ST because of the downgrade in the program. I for one was one of the most naive ones to have stayed with AF/KL and continued to fly with them until my last trip with them in Sept. this year. I finally woke up to face reality when I saw the counts of my miles and status flights were close to non-existent on a BTV-JFK-BCN-PMI return run. I finally wrote to AF to express my disappointment. The reply I got was a very standard bureaucracy blah saying that the program's recent change would benefit those who were truly frequent flyers with the company. WHAT? I do realize that I am the so called frequent leisure traveler, and my monthly run between Canada and Europe on an average ticket price usually less than 1000$CAD does not really bring them a whole lot of money, but seen a dozen transatlantic trips per year with few short trips to the USA east coast on ST partners, I thought they could at least consider me frequent flyer. But no! According to them my travels with them is not worth mentioning. And the reason why I was not awarded enough miles and status flights was because, apparently I am NOT a true frequent flyer. Given that their new program is very generous to those who pay full fare on all classes, especially those who pay full fare on F, my minimal contribution seems even smaller. But now everyone's poorer than before, who out there isn't counting every penny before clicking "purchase"? I am sure even Catherine Deneuve thinks twice before she books her F class ticket to NYC with AF now! Or, maybe I'm just so out of the loop in the rich men's world. Last time I checked, Flying Blue was a frequent flyer program, not a rich men's club membership. Since my last trip with AF to Majorca, I switched camps. I am also currently a Gold member with Flying Blue. 30000 miles to qualify for Gold in 2010? Yeah I'm still 14000 miles to go and with the new 25% or 0% discount on miles, I'll need to fly to the Moon to get qualified before Dec. 31, 2009. Too bad, none of the Skyteam members flies to the Moon.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Apesanteur
I am sure that the economic situation has shown some drop in Gold and PLAT pax traveling on AF/KL, however I am also very certain that many of the Gold and PLAT members left AF/KL and ST because of the downgrade in the program.
I agree. In these cases, it's not either/or, and even if a majority fly less because of the crisis rather than fly elsewhere because of the way they are treated by AF/KL, I am sure that these extra losses are and will remain painful and costly to the airlines. Of course, it's for them to see whether it was worth it and rightly timed anyway...
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:19 pm

Programs: AF FB Platinum, BA EC Gold, StarGold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Amex Centurion
Thumbs up Slightly different promo

Myself, i have already reachieved my gold status, i have 57000 tier miles and here is what i have received !

Flying Blue wants to welcome you as a Platinum member in 2010. So here, just for you, is a special boost to make it easier for you to Fly up to Platinum.

If the amount of your Level Miles is at least 60000 Level Miles on
31 December 2009, you will then be upgraded to Platinum status in 2010! (Instead of 70000 normally required by the programme).

All you have to do is fly* with AIR FRANCE, KLM or any SkyTeam partner airline until the end of December.

As soon as you reach the number of Level Miles required, you will then
be upgraded to Platinum, and enjoy all the benefits and exclusive services it gives you.

So get flying now!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
All this stuff looks bizzarre...
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:34 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Once again they have taken a decision that doesn't benefit their most frequent flyers!!!

Sorry to say it, but a number of us who re-qualified a long time back were almost looking forward to seeing emptier lounges and perhaps a little more distinction for Elite/Elite Plus cardholders once our numbers had reduced.

So now it seems that AF don't want those nmbers to drop after all and that once again that those who fly the most, get the least (if only I had a choice....).
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by heramato
All this stuff looks bizzarre...
What to me looks bizarre (and outright unfair!) is how all the other airlines that want to keep frequent flyers flying offer bonus level miles to everyone while FB, as usual, proceed with their absurd web of targeted offers. I'm sure they think that it is sophisticated, but to me, it feels amateurish if not (from what others in relatively similar situations to each other have described) random. My verdict:
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:41 am

Programs: AFKL Plat STE+ (LT), OZ Diam+ *G (LT), QF Gold OWS (LTG 83%)
Talking

I find it rather encouraging : expect less crowded lounges . They somewhat think they overachieved their goal.

As for me, I frantically "made" my miles before April 1st and since then had only one flight and it is a cheap promotional flight for KL 90 years anniversary (not very profitable to them).

Anyway, I did not receive such offers. I guess it is because I am close to requalifying to Plat without it (69K at this time).

Next year, I will go slower on earnings to benefit from that kind of operation if it's repeated.

Last edited by mogoy; Oct 29, 2009 at 2:47 am
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life, M&M Senator
how about this one from FB?
My online account states 94453 level miles (and as such qualified for platinum for next year) but i just got an email from FB as shown below

Level Miles-saldo op 12-10-09: 28917

GEACHTE HEER,

Flying Blue helpt u graag om ook in 2010 Platinum-deelnemer te blijven. Daarom ontvangt u nu een extra stimulans om dit gemakkelijker te maken.Blijf Platinumdeelnemer

Als uw Level Miles-saldo op 31 december 2009 minimaal 60000
(in tegenstelling tot het normaal vereiste aantal van 70000) bedraagt, behoudt u uw Platinum-niveau in 2010!

Het enige wat u hoeft te doen, is tot en met eind december te vliegen met KLM, AIR FRANCE of een andere SkyTeam-partner.*

Zodra u het aantal vereiste Level Miles heeft behaald, wordt uw Platinum-niveau verlengd en kunt u weer een jaar lang profiteren van alle bijbehorende voordelen en exclusieve services.

Maak dus snel een vlucht en profiteer!

Met vriendelijke groet,

Herbert Verschuren
Director Flying Blue

A big inconsistency in the number of level miles; how is that possible?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue life Platinum , *A Gold ,PC Plat. IC Royal Ambassador , SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by fdelite
how about this one from FB?
My online account states 94 ...

A big inconsistency in the number of level miles; how is that possible?
yes it's possible. I got the same even I already reached the level. In the email, check at the right top the number of miles you have : they count them from the last statement (one month ago approx) so it can be normal

surely you earned more than 25000 qmiles during this month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.