Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

updated information about new J seats deployments and other information

updated information about new J seats deployments and other information

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 21, 18, 10:39 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: brunos
Wiki Link
This wikipost presents an updated summary of AF plans for retrofitting the long-haul flet with new J (and W) seats. For more details, please refer to the thread below

Last update on March 12, 2018

B772
All B772 are already retrofitted with the BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat). 25 planes

B77W
- version with P : they are already all retrofitted with the BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat). 19 planes out of 43 77W.
- COI version (14J) : their retrofit was officially announced by AF during summer 2017. The seat will be a Zodiac Optima (same as chosen for the A350), similar to the UA Polaris seat. The config will be 1-2-1 and will remain at 14J. Planning : start around beginning 2019, end around end 2020. UPDATE: 09/2019 to end 2020. Other new information: the W seat will be changed and will be the same as in the B789.
- rest of the 77W : we are talking here about the 12 planes in NEV4 "loisirs" config (42J). They will be retrofitted but after all other planes. The study has just started and AF will not make the final choice of the seat before some years, depending on new seats models which will be available at the time of the choice. Planning : around 2022-2023. UPDATE : pre-choice studies still on-going. Choice will be made around June/July 2018.

B789
Direct deliveries with BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat, slightly smaller than the 777 one, due to fuselage width limitation). 5 planes.

A332
It was already announced that they will be retrofitted in 2-2-2 with the Stelia Equinoxe seat. A similar seat can be seen in the UX B787. AF said that the seat will be very nice with storage compartments and a proper removable divider to ensure privacy. Also, the W seats will be replaced by the same as in the B789. Planning : from beginning 2018 to 2019. UPDATE : delayed to dec 2018 - feb 2020. 15 planes

A343
These are old planes and AF still had 6 in operation by end-2017. They have NEV4. Some of these planes are transferred to JOON. It seems that they will keep the NEV4 in J with new Y and W seats. They should be replaced by A350 from 2019.

A350
Direct delivery with Zodiac Optima , similar to UA Polaris seat (see above B777 COI). Config 1-2-1.
Other new information: the W seat will be a Recaro recliner seat.

A388
The choice of the J seat is not made yet. UPDATE: Choice is scheduled for June 2018. 10 planes
The P cabin will finally remain on the lower deck.There will be 2 or 3 rows of P. The future P will be very similar as the B77W one (curtains, etc) but likely with some significant differences (options are currently studied. Choice will be done according to the feasibility / cost. It is too early to make any statement about the final configuration). Also there might be new seats available on the market at the time, so they will make the decision based on what will be available at the time of the choice, but they will keep all main aspects of the 77W P seat which has made its success.

Planning : start beginning 2020 until 2022. UPDATE : 10/2020 to 2022.

New W seat for A388 : choice not made yet.

JOON
The A340 going to JOON will keep the NEV4 seats for J, but will have new W and Y seats. The IFE will be brand new, including in J NEV4. Joon is starting long-haul ops end of March, so the 1st retrofitted A340 will be in service soon
The A350 for JOON will have new J seats (of course), and will be different from the AF mainline ones.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 21, 19, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by Porcepic View Post
Slightly OT, but an article from Libération published yesterday writes that AF cabins will be densified, taking the example of a 777 on which AF has 18 seats less than KL. Not sure to catch the logical link with the upmarket though!

https://www.liberation.fr/france/201...aniere_1710603 (in French)
Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman View Post
That is a weird and contradicting information indeed. We had seen other notes which implied that the AF brand is aiming at becoming more premium. Biggest difference across the 2 configs is Premium Economy (AF) vs. Eco Confort (KL) with a 38" vs 34" seat pitch. Accomodating significantly more seats means compromising the premium cabin(s).
Guys, I think you completely misunderstood the concept of becoming more premium. It concerns W, J and P but certainly not Y. Y will be more and more cattle class due to competition with long-haul LCC.
This being said, I don’t see how they can densify more the B777 which are 10-abreast and with a low pitch. The reference to KL doesn’t seem relevant to me as KL has no W and usually smaller J cabins, so they can have 2 more rows of Y.

Last edited by Goldorak; Feb 22, 19 at 12:03 am Reason: correct typo
Old Feb 21, 19, 11:59 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB Plat.), LH MM, Iberia plus, HH & MRW Gold, Chevalier de la zagte berm
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

Guys, I think you completely misunderstood the concept of becoming more premium. It concerns W, J and P but certainly not Y. Y will be more and more cattle class due to competition with long-haul LCC.
This being said, I don’t see how they can density more the B777 which are 10-abreast and with a low pitch. The reference to KL doesn’t seem relevant to me as KL has no W and usually smaller J cabins, so they can have 2 more rows of Y.
Well, that was kind of my point, too. It seems to be impossible to squeeze another 18 seats into the economy cabin, means potential opportunities would be within the premium cabins.
Old Feb 24, 19, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So if I read the Wiki correctly, none of the A380s in the AF fleet have lie flat seats in J and won't be upgraded/deployed until 10/2020?

Or do any of them have life-flats but are not BEST?

I was looking at a J award out of SFO for late August and I see that AF083 is still angled recline according to Seatguru in J.

Haven't they been rolling out BEST for at least 3-4 years now?

I do see some awards via KLM 772s at the same price as on the AF A380s but I don't know what that equipment is like.

In the winter/spring, AF used to fly a smaller plane for SFO-CDG instead of the 747s. Do they still do the same and have the smaller planes been upgraded?

I have a lot of Amex MR and Chase MR points and FB is a transfer partner with both of those programs but the bloggers (especially TPG) really seem down on FB.

I do see a bunch of 57k J awards though on FB at the moment, for the dates I want.
Old Feb 24, 19, 2:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold
Isn't there a 772 SFO-CDG with BEST seats in the summer?
Old Feb 24, 19, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Sjondorn View Post
Isn't there a 772 SFO-CDG with BEST seats in the summer?

There might be. They do run two flights daily or on some days of the week for this route but they're not showing up in the award search results that I can see.

Maybe those have all been scarfed up or they may release them later.

I guess another option would be to search for LAX-CDG awards and buy separate flights from SFO to LAX, which I've done a couple of times to redeem DL TATL awards, though those were for AZ flights.
Old Feb 24, 19, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
So if I read the Wiki correctly, none of the A380s in the AF fleet have lie flat seats in J and won't be upgraded/deployed until 10/2020?.
Correct
Old Mar 4, 19, 3:22 pm

I'm booked ATL-CDG on the old 2-3-2 angle flats in December...would it be worth the change fee to switch to the flight with the BEST seats? I'd be arriving about 4 hours later if I do that as well, which isn't ideal since I have about a 2.5 hour drive ahead of me on the back end but a little worried about getting sleep in the angle flats.
Old Mar 4, 19, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dan9124 View Post
I'm booked ATL-CDG on the old 2-3-2 angle flats in December...would it be worth the change fee to switch to the flight with the BEST seats? I'd be arriving about 4 hours later if I do that as well, which isn't ideal since I have about a 2.5 hour drive ahead of me on the back end but a little worried about getting sleep in the angle flats.
Between now and december, many changes can happen. Your flight switching to BEST, the other flight supposedly BEST switching to NEV4. Or no change. Who knows !
So my message and recommendation : stay as you are and do not pay any change fee. It could clearly be a waste of money.
dan9124 and glennhaak like this.
Old Mar 17, 19, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A332 - How to know if you have the old or new J cabin/seats

Dear all
as the config is 2-2-2 for both the old (NEV4) and new J cabin in the A332, here is a simple way to know which cabin you'll have if you fly J :

- Old NEV4 cabin : the last row is #7 (three rows in the back mini cabin) and on the left handside, the first row is #2 . The letters used for the seats are A-B / E-F / J-K.

- New J cabin : the last row is #6 (two rows in the back mini cabin) and on both sides, the first row is #1 . The letters used for the seats are A-C / D-H / J-L.

Also, I have a booking for next summer with the new config , but I haven't seen any special logo (like Design+ for the B777 having the BEST seats) indicating the plane had the new seats. So looking at the seat map seems the only way to know at the moment.

I now just hope that there will be no equipment swap for my flight !
wuzziduzziman likes this.
Old Mar 18, 19, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
SO they manage to add two more seats in the front cabin.
Old Mar 18, 19, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
SO they manage to add two more seats in the front cabin.
yes and not surprising as there was a lot of space in front of 2A-B and they have removed a storage compartment as you can see on the plan to make enough room for the additional pair of seats.
Old Mar 19, 19, 4:48 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
A bit disappointing they went with this seat design instead of the one that Delta uses on their A330. They take up the exact same amount of space - both aircraft manage to have 24 seats forward of door 2 on the Airbus 330-200. Delta has 6 rows of 4, Air France has 4 rows of 6.

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Still confirmed from 23 APR to SEA
Wish this was earlier in April.