Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

updated information about new J seats deployments and other information

updated information about new J seats deployments and other information

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 21, 18, 10:39 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: brunos
Wiki Link
This wikipost presents an updated summary of AF plans for retrofitting the long-haul flet with new J (and W) seats. For more details, please refer to the thread below

Last update on March 12, 2018

B772
All B772 are already retrofitted with the BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat). 25 planes

B77W
- version with P : they are already all retrofitted with the BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat). 19 planes out of 43 77W.
- COI version (14J) : their retrofit was officially announced by AF during summer 2017. The seat will be a Zodiac Optima (same as chosen for the A350), similar to the UA Polaris seat. The config will be 1-2-1 and will remain at 14J. Planning : start around beginning 2019, end around end 2020. UPDATE: 09/2019 to end 2020. Other new information: the W seat will be changed and will be the same as in the B789.
- rest of the 77W : we are talking here about the 12 planes in NEV4 "loisirs" config (42J). They will be retrofitted but after all other planes. The study has just started and AF will not make the final choice of the seat before some years, depending on new seats models which will be available at the time of the choice. Planning : around 2022-2023. UPDATE : pre-choice studies still on-going. Choice will be made around June/July 2018.

B789
Direct deliveries with BEST cabins (Zodiac Cirrus seat, slightly smaller than the 777 one, due to fuselage width limitation). 5 planes.

A332
It was already announced that they will be retrofitted in 2-2-2 with the Stelia Equinoxe seat. A similar seat can be seen in the UX B787. AF said that the seat will be very nice with storage compartments and a proper removable divider to ensure privacy. Also, the W seats will be replaced by the same as in the B789. Planning : from beginning 2018 to 2019. UPDATE : delayed to dec 2018 - feb 2020. 15 planes

A343
These are old planes and AF still had 6 in operation by end-2017. They have NEV4. Some of these planes are transferred to JOON. It seems that they will keep the NEV4 in J with new Y and W seats. They should be replaced by A350 from 2019.

A350
Direct delivery with Zodiac Optima , similar to UA Polaris seat (see above B777 COI). Config 1-2-1.
Other new information: the W seat will be a Recaro recliner seat.

A388
The choice of the J seat is not made yet. UPDATE: Choice is scheduled for June 2018. 10 planes
The P cabin will finally remain on the lower deck.There will be 2 or 3 rows of P. The future P will be very similar as the B77W one (curtains, etc) but likely with some significant differences (options are currently studied. Choice will be done according to the feasibility / cost. It is too early to make any statement about the final configuration). Also there might be new seats available on the market at the time, so they will make the decision based on what will be available at the time of the choice, but they will keep all main aspects of the 77W P seat which has made its success.

Planning : start beginning 2020 until 2022. UPDATE : 10/2020 to 2022.

New W seat for A388 : choice not made yet.

JOON
The A340 going to JOON will keep the NEV4 seats for J, but will have new W and Y seats. The IFE will be brand new, including in J NEV4. Joon is starting long-haul ops end of March, so the 1st retrofitted A340 will be in service soon
The A350 for JOON will have new J seats (of course), and will be different from the AF mainline ones.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 3, 17, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
the retrofit of the 777 (BEST) included all seats (not only the J ones), but for the W it was just a slightly better cushioning. No difference in the “recline” vs the previous one.

Correct
For the 77Q, the seat map on SeatGuru shows an old business class configuration compared to the other 777-300s. Has the 77Q (booked on CDG-ATL) been updated recently, or is it a worn out product?
Old Nov 3, 17, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by scalar View Post
For the 77Q, the seat map on SeatGuru shows an old business class configuration compared to the other 777-300s. Has the 77Q (booked on CDG-ATL) been updated recently, or is it a worn out product?
I don’t know what a 77Q is, but yes, there are a significant number of 77W who don’t have the BEST J seat and still have the NEV4. Read this thread, everything is in.
Old Nov 5, 17, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Gold; Hertz President circle
Does anyone have more information on Joon? I'm apparently flying them SEZ - CDG in July 2017 (though I booked on AF!) in an A340. Any chance they'll have the A350 by then?
Old Nov 5, 17, 4:00 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Accor Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SFCav View Post
Does anyone have more information on Joon? I'm apparently flying them SEZ - CDG in July 2017 (though I booked on AF!) in an A340. Any chance they'll have the A350 by then?
none
Old Nov 5, 17, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by SFCav View Post
Chance in July 2017 is -100% and in July 2018 is 0%.
SFCav likes this.
Old Nov 5, 17, 11:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold
Air France is expected to get A350 only in 2019.
Old Jan 4, 18, 4:45 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: FB LTPE+C2000, EK Gold, TK *S, SPG PP+Amb+LTPP, IHG Platinum, Accorhotels Gold
The last version of the presentation has been released by AF (in French).
In 2018, they will start revamping A332s with the new 2-2-2 cabin with full flat seats.
In 2019, they will revamp the 14J COI 77s, but all the 42J Leasure 777s will be kept as-is (what a joke!).
No news for the A380, which is really bad news...
Old Jan 4, 18, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by olivedel View Post
In 2018, they will start revamping A332s with the new 2-2-2 cabin with full flat seats.
In 2019, they will revamp the 14J COI 77s, but all the 42J Leasure 777s will be kept as-is (what a joke!).
Old Jan 4, 18, 7:30 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus
I have a feeling that AF wants to get rid of the A380.
Old Jan 4, 18, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of us cannot see the link as you need a IATA number to register.
Do they just mention a starting year or be more precise (like mid-year)?

It is hard to believe that they have no plans to retrofit the 42J 77W; they are used on a lot of international destinations and sometimes sub for the few 77W with BEST or the 772.
Sad to hear about A380. So the majority of AF F seats will remain outdated.
They have been many gossips and rumors on the A380. One that probably many heard is that AF plans to remove F and that they have been waiting to see the reaction to their new F pricing policy.
Old Jan 4, 18, 10:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
they have been waiting to see the reaction to their new F pricing policy.
Did I miss something here?
Old Jan 5, 18, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In 2017 they started to offer discounted F fares from many of their outstations, especially those using A380.
They had some infrequent ones from the USA, but it has become much more systematic.
Old Mar 12, 18, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have obtained a planning update from AF (thank you ). I have created a wiki in order to handle in an easier way the updated information about planning. Unfortunately, you will see in the wiki that most of the actions are delayed.
Klems and joyu12 like this.
Old Mar 13, 18, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Alaska Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I have obtained a planning update from AF (thank you ). I have created a wiki in order to handle in an easier way the updated information about planning. Unfortunately, you will see in the wiki that most of the actions are delayed.
Thank you for keeping us posted Goldorak . And delays suck but at this point... what's a few more months extra ! The one I'm really looking forward to the most is the A380 since they have so many of them going to NYC... and I really can't wait to see that they will come up with, especially with P and especially if they keep it downstairs, there's so much space available.
Old Mar 19, 18, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I took the liberty to add the number of planes.

Everything seems delayed by almost a year. As long as the seat choice has not been made and ordered, nothing is certain. Even then (A332), the delay is worrying.

AFIK A340s are still flying under AF metal, right? AT least some of them?

Search this Thread