Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyztozag
Be sure to post photos. Rouge A321s should have updated interiors that fall in line with the existing mainline 7M8s.
Only a handful of them do.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 6:33 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Flying with a suit jacket for the first time in a long time. Apparently no hangers in the closet because of COVID? On a 223, for whatever that's worth.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Flew out east this week. Both flights inbound/outbound were very quiet. Long lines at YQM unless you had Nexus.

Flight was Y heavy so they opUp'ed a lot of the cabin to get balance (not me, as an old data point). Even the outbound was only J3.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
My experience two week's ago at YYZ using the elite priority channel to check a bag was horrendous. Only three agents and it took 20 minutes for them to check in international passengers who had to show all their documentation, full vaccination plus COVID test. As they did this, one of the agents left and was never replaced. One of the remaining two instructed the SEs who lined up in their separate entry to go to the Concierge office. As I waited, almost a dozen new passengers gathered behind me. This was a weekday mid-afternoon
With or without vaccine status verification - this appears to be the standard experience at YYZ priority check-in. I only fly a few times per year these days, but these are mostly family trips (read: with checked luggage). Each time I go through YYZ priority checkin (non-SE), I end up kicking myself and wondering whether going through the regular channel would have been faster. The consistency with which the number of agents decreases proportionally to the increase in the length of the lineup is just uncanny. Last time I almost missed the luggage cutoff because of this. Sad, really...

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 8, 2021 at 11:32 am Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Oct 8, 2021, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Flying with a suit jacket for the first time in a long time. Apparently no hangers in the closet because of COVID? On a 223, for whatever that's worth.
I haven't seen/noticed any crew tend to jackets/blazers since covid began... J pax just hang them on their personal coat hooky thingies.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
To answer the question as literally asked in the thread title. Yes. Tons of premium pax.

Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:01 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It has been mixed but generally "no" as crew don't want 'Covid-infested' apparel mixing with their items.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I haven't seen/noticed any crew tend to jackets/blazers since covid began... J pax just hang them on their personal coat hooky thingies.
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
It has been mixed but generally "no" as crew don't want 'Covid-infested' apparel mixing with their items.
Yesterday on 121 the answer clearly given was no for Covid reasons. There were multiple uniformed FAs flying and they had their coats hung for them. The optics were not great.
yyznomad, Bohemian1 and yyztozag like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:23 pm

Warmed my heart to see 2+ screens of intl/US departures today at YVR around noon. The 5 line screens were so sad.

We seem to be flying again.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Yesterday on 121 the answer clearly given was no for Covid reasons. There were multiple uniformed FAs flying and they had their coats hung for them. The optics were not great.
Deadheading FAs had their coats hanged but you didn’t? I hate the entitled guys in J that complain about everything but I would have (respectfully) called them out on that.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Flew out east this week. Both flights inbound/outbound were very quiet. Long lines at YQM unless you had Nexus.

Flight was Y heavy so they opUp'ed a lot of the cabin to get balance (not me, as an old data point). Even the outbound was only J3.
So they didn't OpUp the SE MM but they did for regular Y folks? Doesnt sound right to me...
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
So they didn't OpUp the SE MM but they did for regular Y folks? Doesnt sound right to me...
That is correct, they did not. It was slightly annoying but given what we've just been though and I had an open seat beside me and was a E75

So all good
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:29 pm

I sort of expected Y op-ups on a flight 3 weeks back, but didn't happpen, not even really sure what triggers it. For those who I wasn't messaging at the time ... a Q400 got swapped out for a CRJ about 90 minutes from intended departure. As it was a route that (almost) never has J, no one was on any upgrade list. I thought about waiting it out, but decided I'd really prefer the better seat and got the checkin agent to manually add me to the waitlist (took a bit because the computer was telling her 'no', which thankfully she did not agree with). In the end there were 3 of us legitimately seated in J, 2 showed as "booked" so I assume paid LMU? (Plus a mom and toddler that self-up'd and after a 2+ hour delay they let slide.) Zero op-ups.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 4:58 pm

May be an odd question, but how is everyone handling eating on planes these days? Family and I flying business in a few weeks and i am trying to find the best strategy to eat (don't wanna risk any exposure)...maybe wait till other pax are done eating and have their mask back on? Just wondering people's thoughts.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by avgeek9995
May be an odd question, but how is everyone handling eating on planes these days? Family and I flying business in a few weeks and i am trying to find the best strategy to eat (don't wanna risk any exposure)...maybe wait till other pax are done eating and have their mask back on? Just wondering people's thoughts.
The ventilation on a plane is such that as a vaccinated person, I wouldn't really be worried about a symptomatic infected person beside me in narrow-body J with their mask off the entire flight.

You're probably at higher risk of exposure getting from home to the gate than you are eating on the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.