Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Woke up early, took a standby in the back row of a 220 and arrived at Pearson in plenty of time to... sail through US customs in under a minute.

Oh well, if I hadn't done that, I'm sure my scheduled flight would have gone mechanical or something.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Woke up early, took a standby in the back row of a 220 and arrived at Pearson in plenty of time to... sail through US customs in under a minute.

Oh well, if I hadn't done that, I'm sure my scheduled flight would have gone mechanical or something.
Hey, on the bright side, you now have more time in the TB MLL! Oh wait, nevermind.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Meanwhile, my friend flying UA has everything "approved", and is checked in, but they won't issue a boarding pass until they manually verify his documents at the airport.

So... I don't think AC is that bad. At least I can go through security without visiting the check-in counter.

Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:55 am

To follow up on another post, LHR check-in explicitly told me the SQ lounge was closed.

I'm currently in the SQ lounge, awaiting my flight to YVR.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:17 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by canadiancow
To follow up on another post, LHR check-in explicitly told me the SQ lounge was closed.

Enjoy! The UA club is quite nice at LHR, is it not open?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:17 am

They told us they were waiting for connecting pax

Also the missing booking reference made this much easier to share.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
They told us they were waiting for connecting pax

Also the missing booking reference made this much easier to share.
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago (late due to waiting for connecting passengers).

For many years the mantra was “we can’t (and won’t) hold flights for connecting passengers”. That seems to have changed, I guess due to a smaller number of flights available to accommodate missed connections.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:52 am

Oh I have no issue waiting. I have a (deliberate) 4.5 hour connection.

It's just the fact that the text suggested it was "not our fault".

But it very much seems like a conscious choice they made.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I've found the SE checkin agents there have been abysmal for the most part. When they're civil or even pleasantly mannered, they often give incorrect information, and when they are in a DGAF mood... well... DGAF. Occasionally a concierge would be standing nearby and I would begin engaging them instead to get the real deal on things.

* disclaimer: I haven't checked-in there in person in awhile, so maybe things have changed for the better.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I've found the SE checkin agents there have been abysmal for the most part. When they're civil or even pleasantly mannered, they often give incorrect information, and when they are in a DGAF mood... well... DGAF. Occasionally a concierge would be standing nearby and I would begin engaging them instead to get the real deal on things.

* disclaimer: I haven't checked-in there in person in awhile, so maybe things have changed for the better.
As I was approaching, a concierge was walking someone toward the exit of the terminal, so I was stuck with the contract staff.

But I'd read this thread, and the digital signs post-security were very clear on which lounges were open.

But at the gate, I mentioned this all to the concierge, and she said she'd make sure everyone was aware.

​​​​​​
yyznomad likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I had the most bizarre de-boarding experience in YYT on Saturday. Nobody stood up from their seat until the people in the row in front of them had retrieved their belongings and started to move up the aisle. It was almost like a military manoeuvre, or something organized by an elementary school teacher. A Q400 full of patient people.

It was a cool welcome to a cool city.
gcashin, 24left and YYC3722 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smallmj
I had the most bizarre de-boarding experience in YYT on Saturday. Nobody stood up from their seat until the people in the row in front of them had retrieved their belongings and started to move up the aisle. It was almost like a military manoeuvre, or something organized by an elementary school teacher. A Q400 full of patient people.

if you hadn't mentioned YYT, I would've guessed somewhere in Japan.
yyztozag likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by smallmj

Could be people who work in a fly-in fly-out job. I found they were either really good at deplaning, or just belligerently drunk.
marke190 and YYC3722 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G

To follow up on this checked into AC861 today, and was specifically told that SQ was open, and recommended me to go there as it was closer to the gate.

I guess the learning worked?

The one thing I didn’t understand is why they were checking immunization papers for Canadians. Regardless of the Canadians status we can enter Canada… just changes the quarantine requirement upon entering. Also agents were misinformed about needing a “QR Code” on the immunization documents which none of mine had.

Long way to go, but slowly it will be behind us.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by WannabeSE
Also agents were misinformed about needing a “QR Code” on the immunization documents which none of mine had.

Long way to go, but slowly it will be behind us.
I hope they figure that one out quickly. None of my immunization records have a QR code. Indeed, they look remarkably amateurish but they are nevertheless what Sask Health issues so there is no alternative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.