Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K
After having been a SE until March 2020 (which I happened to be my last flight) and having been flying international at least twice a month prior to that, I finally am getting back on a plane on Friday. My yyz-yvr-yyz will be my first in nearly 18 months. Am flying economy with family but looking forward to it. What should I be expecting? Anything significant to take note off? Thanks in advance!
Hey Smangalam,

I've been flying YVR-YYZ every other week over the last couple months.

The YVR security and check in process never takes me more than 10 minutes from bag-in to finishing security. The MLL is still doing at-table service for hot foods (limited to only 10am-2pm and 5pm-close) and at bar service for cold foods (sandwiches), snacks and drinks. Capacity is getting close to full over the last couple visits but if you're travelling alone, you'll definitely get a seat, just maybe nothing with a nice view. Last I flew there was no temperature checks but obviously masks are part of the entire process.

Flights have been full for the last 2 months except for one exception of AC199 from YYZ-YVR. But nothing particularly special to take note of.

There's been lots of delays for bags at YYZ so be mindful of that. I have priority baggage but it still took 45 minutes for bags to come out.

Happy flying!
kalderlake and 5Miles like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan75K, BASilver
Originally Posted by mb4wong
Hey Smangalam,

I've been flying YVR-YYZ every other week over the last couple months.

The YVR security and check in process never takes me more than 10 minutes from bag-in to finishing security. The MLL is still doing at-table service for hot foods (limited to only 10am-2pm and 5pm-close) and at bar service for cold foods (sandwiches), snacks and drinks. Capacity is getting close to full over the last couple visits but if you're travelling alone, you'll definitely get a seat, just maybe nothing with a nice view. Last I flew there was no temperature checks but obviously masks are part of the entire process.

Flights have been full for the last 2 months except for one exception of AC199 from YYZ-YVR. But nothing particularly special to take note of.

There's been lots of delays for bags at YYZ so be mindful of that. I have priority baggage but it still took 45 minutes for bags to come out.

Happy flying!
Thanks so much for that. Really helpful! I’m flying AC105. How’s the MLL at Yyz in the mornings? Worth getting breakfast there? Also, I’ve ordered the meal tray for the flight, is it safe eating on the flight?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K
It's fine to eat on the plane; I eat almost every flight and just promptly put my mask back on once done eating.

I've been in the MLL in YYZ in the mornings, I'm on the same 830pm flight haha. But if you have MLL access, you could also just grab food from there and eat it on the plane too which is what I normally do.

In terms of food selection, I suspect you'll be limited to the cold foods (usually two different kind of wraps, some form of salad, vegetables and humus, etc) and chips, cookies, granola bars, etc.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan75K, BASilver
It's fine to eat on the plane; I eat almost every flight and just promptly put my mask back on once done eating.

I've been in the MLL in YYZ in the mornings, I'm on the same 830pm flight haha. But if you have MLL access, you could also just grab food from there and eat it on the plane too which is what I normally do.

In terms of food selection, I suspect you'll be limited to the cold foods (usually two different kind of wraps, some form of salad, vegetables and humus, etc) and chips, cookies, granola bars, etc.
Cool. Thanks again. Wasn’t expected anything different with the food selection. I assume the MLLs would have the usual boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, oatmeal etc. for breakfast.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by smangalam
Cool. Thanks again. Wasn’t expected anything different with the food selection. I assume the MLLs would have the usual boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, oatmeal etc. for breakfast.
@smangalam
It might be worth your time to read some of the threads on say page 1 and 2 of the AC forum. For example, there is a thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ng-etc-81.html Look at posts going back say a month or two. Look at the wiki. The MLLs have not had "usual boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, oatmeal etc. for breakfast" for more than a year. There are often long lines, and you don't get to touch any food.

There are ongoing issues with staffing for the airline and especially at YYZ. If you're travelling with family, you might want to gather up info that would affect your travels so that you are prepared. Good luck.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by loganre17
Thanks for this - I'm flying the exact same route, yvr-yyz-bog in two weeks. Good flight otherwise?
Yea, I'm not sure what class you're in or what your financial outlook is, but there were some pretty attractive offers for PY and J at check-in. I didn't partake (I'm a little cheap and poor haha) mostly because I didn't think there'd really be much service to speak of.

One other thing I'll mention is my flights have all gone from decent load to FULL seat maps. I flew MEX-YVR that flight was legitimately probably above 90%, but I got a middle seat free next to me. My flight YYZ-BOG suddenly had a full seat map while I was in the lounge. Turns out they were just blocking seats. So you might not need to fret too much if the seatmap suddenly looks very full. I know I obsess over seat selection up to the last minute.

Otherwise a totally normal flight, I was worried about slow customs in Bogota...it was a breeze as we arrived before anyone else. The service on the flight WAS a little lame, but honestly in economy it's not much worse than usual. Food comes in a box, but there were 2 options and both were hot. The biggest difference was a smaller selection of drinks and no second drink service, just water. A little snack was served before landing, a cookie & almonds. Lastly, it's been a while since I've flown AC long haul...I THOUGHT they used to serve hard alcohol in Y for free (unlike UA) but when I asked for vodka I was told they didn't have hard booze.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by margarita girl
My brother is flying YYZ-IAH tomorrow on AC biz class. He has Nexus. He also got his Covid test done yesterday. No checked bags.

I heard about the chaos at YYZ on the weekend and the recommendation to arrive 3 hrs early for international flights. Does anyone know if that was a weekend thing or will he need to arrive 3 hrs early tomorrow as well? I believe the cross-border lounge is still closed. If it wasn’t, it would make an early arrival less painful.

Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated. TIA
For anyone traveling to the US, my brother decided to get to the airport 2.5 hrs before his flight. This is what he sent me. (I asked if he had been asked for his Covid documents or CDC attestation certificate.)

Not a single person in line. I’m already in and I took my time. And lounge closed.
Security asked for my BP and immigration asked for my passport. Even the nexus machine didn’t ask for anything as it just took my picture.
Now I’m having a beer and I feel a poutine is calling to me.
Flying Machine and 24left like this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by margarita girl
For anyone traveling to the US, my brother decided to get to the airport 2.5 hrs before his flight. This is what he sent me. (I asked if he had been asked for his Covid documents or CDC attestation certificate.)
What day/time was this?
A friend traveled back to the US recently out of YYZ T1 on AC. She said it took her over an hour. This was a Tuesday morning, arriving at T1 around 6:00am.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by yyznomad
What day/time was this?
A friend traveled back to the US recently out of YYZ T1 on AC. She said it took her over an hour. This was a Tuesday morning, arriving at T1 around 6:00am.
Today. He arrived at T1 around 10:15 am.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 6:12 pm

The YVR security and check in process never takes me more than 10 minutes from bag-in to finishing security.
Thursday morning, 8a.m., YVR security was 30+ minutes.
There's a WS 787 that departs from C Pier at 9:00 when the other AC transcons depart.
CATSA did have all check points open and were moving passengers through at a good pace.
Apparently the checkpoint for B pier was lengthy as well.

I flew 8055 YVR-YYJ it was half full.
The 4 other flights I took across the country and back were full.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 4:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Flew ZRH-YYZ today. J crew were pretty good and service was (sort of) back to normal. They had chicken and pasta - chicken was out by the time they got to me but I heard it was really good. The pasta was borderline inedible which was a shame because the appetizer and dessert were great. This was my first full COVID flight and my FFP2 masks came in handy, especially with some pax coughing and/or wearing chin diapers. Customs line was short (less than 5 minutes), even with an EK A380 having landed just before us. Side note - they now hand out Ragusa chocolates instead of Laderach ex-ZRH, which I prefer. Overall a good experience but they need to be harsher on covidiots. I think that the vaccine mandate will help weed out some of them.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
IAH-YYZ yesterday was somewhat normal and went out full, except for 1 seat. The UA lounge right across from the gate is still closed

Only one meal option in J. No IFE and no WiFi (which makes a morning business flight...annoying).

One shift from my earlier US based flights. At checkin, they wanted to see your negative covid test where earlier they just wanted to see if you were vaxxed. That translated to the border agent only wanting to see my ArriveCan and not my negative test.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:34 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by yyztozag
Flew ZRH-YYZ today. J crew were pretty good and service was (sort of) back to normal. They had chicken and pasta - chicken was out by the time they got to me but I heard it was really good. The pasta was borderline inedible which was a shame because the appetizer and dessert were great. This was my first full COVID flight and my FFP2 masks came in handy, especially with some pax coughing and/or wearing chin diapers. Customs line was short (less than 5 minutes), even with an EK A380 having landed just before us. Side note - they now hand out Ragusa chocolates instead of Laderach ex-ZRH, which I prefer. Overall a good experience but they need to be harsher on covidiots. I think that the vaccine mandate will help weed out some of them.
on my flight mentioned below, there was one pax with one of those fake masks made of mesh. How she got through checkin, security, bordering and crew checks I am not sure.

Wasn't in the mood to start something as she was not sitting close to me
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum

I put this one on YVR, not AC, but it fascinated me to see this scene five minutes after I passed the half-hour lineup to get into the MLL due to its strict social-distancing requirements. With a full 788 and a full 789, this is a little over 550 people. It's not like YVR is short for gates right now.

This isn't me ranting about COVID safety, just random policy. One result of this chaos is that both flights are slow to board, and seem unlikely to be ready to depart 17 minutes from now.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
Weather System - YYZ delays - August 26, 2021

Looks like a weather system is affecting YYZ around the dinner hour. Our plane just landed and has been holding on a taxiway for about 20 minutes. I see several planes ahead of us, and the gates all seem to be occupied.

I am in an SQM run (2 separate bookings) and will probably miss my flight to YVR; should I rebook in person or call reservations to fly another day?

Going home or to a nearby hotel is an option as I am pretty tired from the day’s flights.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Edit: I do see several other flights, but probably no aisle seats left, so as soon as I deplane, I’ll call reservations to arrange a flight over the weekend, instead.

Last edited by TTC900Rocket; Aug 26, 2021 at 4:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.