Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:53 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by expert7700
AC checks travel docs at point of origin. Otherwise it would be on them to fly you back to the point of origin if you aren't able to fly to Italy.
​​​​​​Today we were (initially) denied boarding on to our first AC segment despite meeting all the requirements for our transit points and final destination. United let us board our first flight after agreeing we met all the TIMATIC requirements. AC wouldn't let us on the second flight until we raised hell and delayed the flight.

Good to see not much changed in 17 months.

​​​
Yeah, one of the reasons Ms. Boh and I got tested ahead of our flight to Italy tomorrow.

Not a requirement for us, but figured we'd take the belt and braces approach just in case we encountered and agent who is less than enlightened.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Yeah, one of the reasons Ms. Boh and I got tested ahead of our flight to Italy tomorrow.

Not a requirement for us, but figured we'd take the belt and braces approach just in case we encountered and agent who is less than enlightened.
Just curious, do you fall under some exception where you don't need a negative test? My understanding is that Italy now requires fully vaccinated travelers from Canada to also have a negative test.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Well isn't that swell. I was hoping AC would have let us get to YYZ at least before checking the test results. Was originally thinking of doing a PCR test in Vancouver and then overnighting in YYZ to ensure my test results are still valid by time of arrival in Italy.
If AC's going to be checking docs in YVR... Not sure I like cutting it that close.
If you overnight they should have no reason to check your test.... just say its on the way, even prove that you already took it, not that it matters, they have to let you board YVR-YYZ.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 5:46 pm

Interesting strategy, but if you get the wrong person ...

Last edited by Bohemian1; Sep 3, 2021 at 5:56 pm
Old Sep 4, 2021, 2:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I flew YYZ-FRA-KEF last week and the agent at check-in almost denied me boarding. First, she said Iceland was closed unless you had friends and family there. I told her to read the rules fully and eventually she agreed. And then she told me I couldn't go because I didn't have a return flight. I'm traveling indefinitely and planned to book a flight out of Iceland once there. After more discussion, she let me through but said I might be fined upon arrival in Iceland for not having a return ticket. I booked a random ticket with points which I cancelled immediately upon arrival at my hotel. I didn't even end up going through immigration upon arrival in Iceland since I entered at FRA first. Frustrating!
Old Sep 4, 2021, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
I flew YYZ-FRA-KEF last week and the agent at check-in almost denied me boarding. First, she said Iceland was closed unless you had friends and family there. I told her to read the rules fully and eventually she agreed. And then she told me I couldn't go because I didn't have a return flight. I'm traveling indefinitely and planned to book a flight out of Iceland once there. After more discussion, she let me through but said I might be fined upon arrival in Iceland for not having a return ticket. I booked a random ticket with points which I cancelled immediately upon arrival at my hotel. I didn't even end up going through immigration upon arrival in Iceland since I entered at FRA first. Frustrating!
The problem with flying AC. You are left to the interpretation of a checkin agent.

Wonder if they ll ever catch up with others and fully implement getting verified via app prior to getting to the airport.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
The problem with flying AC. You are left to the interpretation of a checkin agent.
Yeah, because I haven't had similar issues with UA and SN in the past week either
YOWgary likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club

Wonder if they ll ever catch up with others and fully implement getting verified via app prior to getting to the airport.
What?? I’m flying SFO-YYZ-ZRH-BCN in a few weeks. My originating flight is on UA from LAX and I was just gonna stay in the terminal before my departure 7 AM departure I get into SFO at 1:30 AM). I sure hope I don’t have a hassle at the check-in gates.. Amy thoughts. The EU entry requirements are still up in the air…
Old Sep 4, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah, because I haven't had similar issues with UA and SN in the past week either
Tell me where do I have the option to upload my test results/vax documents with AC so I can get pre verified and not have the stress of being at the mercy of an airport agent?

(and yes I understand they are piloting it for a few select routes)
bcnfish and 24left like this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 12:09 pm

Tell me where do I have the option to upload my test results/vax documents with AC so I can get pre verified and not have the stress of being at the mercy of an airport agent?

(and yes I understand they are piloting it for a few select routes)
I uploaded and was "approved" by united for all my documents, and still had to check in with an agent, so tell me what use it is?

And it's available on every? AC TB route.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I uploaded and was "approved" by united for all my documents, and still had to check in with an agent, so tell me what use it is?
The use of it was for me the fact that the agent had no authority once verified and I didnt need to show anything to them. I made similar use of AA Verifly.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 12:45 pm

I had a green check beside every box (UK. Switzerland, Germany), and I had to show the agent every document.

Basically the same as AC. I get the ADOC, and I still have to show everything. Maybe with v5.19 of the app things will change, but I can report back Monday.

But AC is on the verge of announcing a new program that will greatly simplify a bunch of issues with tests, so hopefully that actually works.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 3:06 pm

But AC is on the verge of announcing a new program that will greatly simplify a bunch of issues with tests, so hopefully that actually works.
I hope that means that they are going to join in on the IATA Travel Pass initiative ...
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 7:11 pm

The use of it was for me the fact that the agent had no authority once verified and I didnt need to show anything to them. I made similar use of AA Verifly.
Etihad works similar. I submitted my docs a week before the flight, my PNR was "verified to fly" and then at check-in didn't have to show anything.

Not holding my breath for AC to implement a logical efficient system like that...
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Just curious, do you fall under some exception where you don't need a negative test? My understanding is that Italy now requires fully vaccinated travelers from Canada to also have a negative test.
That seems correct that Italy does now require a negative test done within 72 hours of arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.