Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ International Arrivals

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
YYZ International Arrivals

Am due to fly EWR-YYZ Fri morning in just over a week. Have seen news articles on congestion on arrival but would be glad to hear reports of how bad it really is....
Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Entirely depends on time of day and how many planes arrive in front of you, and where they arrive from.

It could be empty, or you could be held back on the plane for hours. I ve come into empty arrivals in late August, but also to a long line (nexus was still empty). Waited for luggage for an hour flying AC as well, but got it within minutes not flying AC intl.

YMMV
yyznomad likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
I arrived today at noon and the regular queue was completely filled. Fortunately, I had NEXUS and was able to breeze through.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 9:11 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Flew back last Friday, there was a long line up at the corridor upstairs as they only let passengers move forward as custom hall is cleared. If you have Nexus you can use the Nexus lane and save a lot of time once you are in the custom hall. There was still a bit of a line up for Nexus. It took me 40 minutes from getting off the plane to leaving the airport. If you don't have Nexus, I'd guess it can easily take you 1 hour if not more.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Am wondering if whether in light of the what was obviously poor planning for the re-opening, staff has been added or procedures have been changed at all...
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:01 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by dand99
Am due to fly EWR-YYZ Fri morning in just over a week. Have seen news articles on congestion on arrival but would be glad to hear reports of how bad it really is....
It hasn't been in the news the way it was at the beginning, so that could mean it has gotten a bit better.

Then again, I was with some people yesterday who had arrived one week ago from FRA and were essentially three hours from gate to garage. Most of that was spent standing in a corridor and then snaking through the customs hall. Once they got to a customs agent it was a breeze.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
It hasn't been in the news the way it was at the beginning, so that could mean it has gotten a bit better.

Then again, I was with some people yesterday who had arrived one week ago from FRA and were essentially three hours from gate to garage. Most of that was spent standing in a corridor and then snaking through the customs hall. Once they got to a customs agent it was a breeze.
I am looking at possibly transiting through YYZ on a trip next summer to Africa (ORD-YYZ-JNB) on a UA award ticket (UA connecting to ET in YYZ). Will be on the same PNR. It is my recollection in connecting through Canadian airports that you are technically entering Canada (much like connecting International-International at a US airport). Should I allow several hours for immigration if I do?

Last edited by cheltzel; Sep 22, 2021 at 6:31 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 23, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Although YMMV, I wanted to share my experience with international arrivals at YYZ.

Touched down Monday, September 20th at 8:00 pm in terminal 1. Parked at the gate by 8:15 pm. Deplaned and was at the empty Nexus lanes by 8:20 pm. Showed my Nexus receipt to customs, they asked to see my card and placed a green stamp on it. While exiting the arrivals door, employees were asking to see your stamp. Green means good, red means random testing(?) Perhaps someone can add insight. Since I had no checked-in luggage I was out the arrivals door by 8:30 pm.
m.y and TheCanuckian like this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hostage on board on arrival for 2+ hours today for my wife on top of an already delayed AC flight.

Stay clear of YYZ Intl Arrivals if you can.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Hostage on board on arrival for 2+ hours today for my wife on top of an already delayed AC flight.

After the 2+ hours held "hostage" on the plane, how long was the wait in line for her?
Old Sep 25, 2021, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
After the 2+ hours held "hostage" on the plane, how long was the wait in line for her?
Zero. Nexus.

At least the bags were waiting for everyone 😀
Old Sep 27, 2021, 3:30 am

We landed at terminal 3 from Iceland at 7pm yesterday, no wait, we breezed through using Nexus, but regular lines were no big deal either
Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu

Curious on date/time for this.

I'm suppose to be coming in on a Sat. mid-Oct. ~5:00pm (on UA). Being a Saturday, hopeful it's a little less crowded than a weekday, but I'm guessing that's a busier time. Nexus...so I suspect once we get off the plane, we should be good. Another positive sign is I have been checking flight status, and showing our flight has been both arriving on time, and then departing on the return on time...so hopeful for ability to get off quickly.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 7, 2021 at 6:18 pm Reason: Fix quote
Old Sep 29, 2021, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Curious on date/time for this.

I'm suppose to be coming in on a Sat. mid-Oct. ~5:00pm (on UA). Being a Saturday, hopeful it's a little less crowded than a weekday, but I'm guessing that's a busier time. Nexus...so I suspect once we get off the plane, we should be good. Another positive sign is I have been checking flight status, and showing our flight has been both arriving on time, and then departing on the return on time...so hopeful for ability to get off quickly.
Saturday just before 5pm (flight was delayed by an hour because AC). There are several TATLs at that time, as well as Etihad.

But I think it also depends on CBSA staffing on that particular day.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 7, 2021 at 6:18 pm Reason: Fix another quote
Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:09 am

Connecting in YYZ - intl to domestic on AC terminal 1

All, I’m flying 10/7 on Air Canada from the US to Pearson. Flight lands at 1241pm in terminal 1. I need to connect to an intra Canada AC flight. I’m *G, won’t have checked bags, US passport, no Nexus.

I too have read the horror stories about immigration queues in YYZ…

I have 1 hour 44 minutes to connect to my regional AC flight. What have been people’s experiences with the time it takes to make a domestic connection mid day during the working week? Is there a fast track lane for *G or a lane for transiting passengers?

thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.