Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2021, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by WesternCDN
I feel like this has been discussed here somewhere before, but what’s up with the YYC gate situation these days? Arrived at D92 and connection was out of B39. Lots of time so the walk wasn’t an issue but why are WS and AC flights spread out all over the place?

Noticed some pad work being done which had blocked off a few gates, but I don’t see how that could have caused it. Was there some other construction just finished recently ? I don’t connect through YYC that often, so could have missed some reno’s.
@WesternCDN

Indeed, you're right that it was discussed. @Adam Smith posted this upthread on Aug 16;

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Apparently the WS pier at YYC is going to be reopened fairly soon. There are a couple flights a day going out of there now, but according to YYC Concierge, the hold-up in moving WS back over there in a material way is getting the meep meeps up and running again.

They have been testing the meep meeps over the last couple of days - the corridor is no longer roped off at the crossings, so that makes sense - and supposedly they could be up and running in the next couple of days.

Once that's done, hopefully AC will no longer be scattered over hell's half acre. The C ramp construction will be going for a while, but at least if WS gets moved back where it belongs, it will free up some space at C, and hopefully this nonsense of AC domestic flights going from both A2x and D9x can end.

But as usual, the incompetence of the YYC airport authority will likely mean some other mess to deal with.
Plus some additional discussion following that post.
WesternCDN likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Just got a seat change for AC224 today (YVR-YYC). Investigated it and an aircraft swap from a MAX to the Jetz A319. Was thinking of standing by early to get home… is it worth it checking it out?

EDIT: never mind decided to go home early to better G&Ts

Last edited by WannabeSE; Sep 11, 2021 at 3:07 pm
Old Sep 13, 2021, 3:20 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
In response to member feedback about the length and breadth of this thread, and in trying to make information that's not specific to AC accessible to those flying with other airlines, a new thread has been created in the Canada forum to discuss current experiences at YYC.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cana...mpact-etc.html

For any future questions about or reports on experiences at YYC that are not specific to AC, please use that thread.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
tcook052 and yyznomad like this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Report from Ms SWMBO Stanbury on AC8596 YWG-YUL this morning. Hope this helps somebody.
YWG was noticeably busier than in July (when she last flew) but noticeably less busy than pre-COVID (when I last flew!).
There was a priority check-in desk. Very helpful and friendly agent -- who knew how and was very willing to check bags onto an AF flight out of CDG on a separate ticket -- and to issue an AF BP.
There was a priority line at security.
Drop off to a seat at gate (including the somewhat complex baggage check in) about 25 minutes.
Lounge not open, but confirmation that it will open on Monday Sept 20.
Full flight. Friendly and helpful i/c. Omelette (ah la nostalgie...) etc. for b'fast.
Push-back delay of 40 minutes, but YUL connections are, thankfully, short and simple.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Considering flying VIE-YYZ with AC (never been on before and want to try). It is 787 direct flight against 767 Austrian with one stop. I dont mind stop but 200% miles with AC comes handy meanwhile I've done OS before, I know they are good but 100% miles and AC wish-to-fly makes me wonder. My biggest concern = is champagne flowing on AC nowadays?
streetcircusdan likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
The more I travel, the more things are going back to normal. Negative COVID + ArriveCan is inputted at the US Station.

Now it is Nexus/Agent/Exit. Those 4 new Nexus machines are working. They seem out of place but they work.

ORD has no BoB yet but I always thought it was unusual on such a short flight.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 747jetter
My biggest concern = is champagne flowing on AC nowadays?
Yes. And I love that it's your biggest concern.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC SE
dribbling in versus flowing
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: LH Sen
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
dribbling in versus flowing
Don't cheap out on the Baby Duck now!
Old Sep 24, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 747jetter
Considering flying VIE-YYZ with AC (never been on before and want to try). It is 787 direct flight against 767 Austrian with one stop. I dont mind stop but 200% miles with AC comes handy meanwhile I've done OS before, I know they are good but 100% miles and AC wish-to-fly makes me wonder. My biggest concern = is champagne flowing on AC nowadays?
This is going to be very much personal opinion but here goes (and I just did this route this past week).

AC has the better hard product that OS. OS has an older version of what has been routinely referred to as "coffin" class based on the narrow footwell and the lack of room in the narrow seat. With the 767 the seats are all aisle access, which isn't the case on the 777 where there a few seats without direct aisle access, so that's a toss up. Plus you are flying on a 787 with AC versus a 767 - better humidity which I do think makes a difference. The AV is better on AC as the system is newer (although with no new movies as of late - not AC's fault).

Having flown intra-Europe recently on OS, the DO & CO catering is far superior to AC's. The champage on AC is flowing again and the beverage selection is ok, but the food continues to need some attention. I had a very lively discussion about it with the SD on the VIE-YYZ flight I took (really excellent SD and crew), and he provided some insight into why AC may be struggling with this, but the OS catering is superior.

The final wild card in this is that customs and immigration in Canada is presently a bit unpredictable. You have the possibility of misconnecting should you be delayed or stuck at immigration.

So if you have flown OS before, I would take the direct flight on AC. You get to experience a better seat and fly on a 787. And you don't have to worry about a misconnect. My two cents (for what it's worth).
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes. And I love that it's your biggest concern.
How dare they! I'm surprised the usual RCHHMP suspects here didn't fartlick on that one.

In general, it's nice to see some of the pre-covid things come back... but I wish they would still do more to get back to normal.
streetcircusdan likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 9:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE 100K
Originally Posted by Stanbury
Report from Ms SWMBO Stanbury on AC8596 YWG-YUL this morning. Hope this helps somebody.
YWG was noticeably busier than in July (when she last flew) but noticeably less busy than pre-COVID (when I last flew!).
[...]
There was a priority line at security.
Thank god. I flew out of YWG on Sept. 3 and there was no Priority Security line- regular security queue was massive. I sent an angry tweet to the WAA- I will take full credit for its return.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by streetcircusdan
Thank god. I flew out of YWG on Sept. 3 and there was no Priority Security line- regular security queue was massive. I sent an angry tweet to the WAA- I will take full credit for its return.
speaking of priority security...
Anyone know if priority security for AC status/J pax is back at YVR C-pier security?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
TATL delayed today... surprise! (not)
inbound coming late from YYZ due to "cleaning of aircraft"

Reading the menu, does PY really just get the same pre arrival snack as Y??

Counting down the days until we are able to transit the US again from Europe.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
TATL delayed today... surprise! (not)
inbound coming late from YYZ due to "cleaning of aircraft"

Reading the menu, does PY really just get the same pre arrival snack as Y??

Counting down the days until we are able to transit the US again from Europe.
Which flight? 857?

Int'l PY pre-arrival meal has always been the Y thing, so nothing new there. (Yes, it's lame).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.