Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Just a public service FYI -- on November 7, the afternoon security line at YUL transborder was over 120 minutes long. There were no alternative lines open (no priority, no Nexus) except for cabin crew in uniform. It was a real cluster, and I suspect many people missed their flights. We had allotted 3 hours and barely made it -- just as the door was being closed to AC904 (FLL).

The CATSA blamed the Montreal mayoral election, though I still don't understand how that was relevant.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 4:14 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
The Nexus lane at YYZ USA is now re opened (the one around back)
Edit: I skipped it because the priority line was empty

So always check around front, first

Last edited by lcohen999; Nov 11, 2021 at 4:53 am
Old Nov 14, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Curious what the transborder queue at YUL looks like this Sunday. The 150-minute "standing line" last week was the worst I have ever experienced in 40 years of air travel worldwide.

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Just a public service FYI -- on November 7, the afternoon security line at YUL transborder was over 120 minutes long. There were no alternative lines open (no priority, no Nexus) except for cabin crew in uniform. It was a real cluster, and I suspect many people missed their flights. We had allotted 3 hours and barely made it -- just as the door was being closed to AC904 (FLL).
Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:31 am

Programs: AC E75K
Total Confusion for AC -> LX Connection at ZRH

Flying AC880 YYZ-ZRH and LX332 ZRH-LHR on an AC codeshare on Nov 14.

Onboard AC880, we were told every passenger had to either complete a Swiss passenger locator form online or fill out a paper form. But the paper form was clearly a Canadian government contact tracing form for entry into Canada so a bunch of passengers questioned the instructions. (As an aside, I’ve never encountered this form on my flights to Canada so was extra confused.)

Eventually, the flight crew just gave up trying to convince people and we landed. But then the ZRH airport agent wouldn’t let anyone off the plane without a Swiss passenger locator form completed, even though transit passengers not entering the Schengen Area shouldn’t need it. But this lady wouldn’t hear it so everyone scrambles to complete the form last minute on their phones, making deplaning a total mess.

Once off the plane, an AC Concierge agent found me and told me to come with her. I would have expected the LHR flight to also depart from the E gates where the YYZ flight landed (for some reason, it wasn’t showing the gate when I quickly googled before deplaning). But the Concierge agent just took me on the underground train and told me to head to D53. Right before entering the passport control for the D gates, I decided to double check the departure screens and realized the LHR flight was leaving from E53. So back on the train I go.

It was past 11:00am by the time I got off AC880 and LX332 started boarding at 11:05am. So this whole circus was rather exhausting but thankfully now seated onboard LX332.
YOWgary likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posting this article here as it includes reviews of all manner of things like issues at check-in with document checks and onboard experiences including Y meals. Pricing as the reason he chose AC on his SEA-YVR-LHR routing that was part of his destination to DXB. Seriously sad breakfast for an international flight. Not sure if this is the norm. Some other interesting comments. (P.S. I often read articles in this publication and was reading one about new long-haul PY seats when I noticed the AC review.)

Air Canada: uneventful and reliable on Seattle-Vancouver-London

Nov 14 2021

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2021/1...oronto-london/
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Flying AC880 YYZ-ZRH and LX332 ZRH-LHR on an AC codeshare on Nov 14.

Onboard AC880, we were told every passenger had to either complete a Swiss passenger locator form online or fill out a paper form. But the paper form was clearly a Canadian government contact tracing form for entry into Canada so a bunch of passengers questioned the instructions. (As an aside, I’ve never encountered this form on my flights to Canada so was extra confused.)

Eventually, the flight crew just gave up trying to convince people and we landed. But then the ZRH airport agent wouldn’t let anyone off the plane without a Swiss passenger locator form completed, even though transit passengers not entering the Schengen Area shouldn’t need it. But this lady wouldn’t hear it so everyone scrambles to complete the form last minute on their phones, making deplaning a total mess.

Once off the plane, an AC Concierge agent found me and told me to come with her. I would have expected the LHR flight to also depart from the E gates where the YYZ flight landed (for some reason, it wasn’t showing the gate when I quickly googled before deplaning). But the Concierge agent just took me on the underground train and told me to head to D53. Right before entering the passport control for the D gates, I decided to double check the departure screens and realized the LHR flight was leaving from E53. So back on the train I go.

It was past 11:00am by the time I got off AC880 and LX332 started boarding at 11:05am. So this whole circus was rather exhausting but thankfully now seated onboard LX332.
Transit passengers do require the form, and that's pretty obvious if you do any checking before travel, which is generally a good idea these days.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Transit passengers do require the form, and that's pretty obvious if you do any checking before travel, which is generally a good idea these days.
I did check and it's not obvious from this guidance what constitutes "normal entry and transit requirements":

Transit from a third country not considered by the SEM to be high-risk to another third country
Entry into Switzerland from a third country which is not on the SEM high-risk list for onward travel to another country outside the Schengen area is possible subject to the normal entry and transit requirements (N.B. a transit visa may be required).

And this page also suggests the PLF should not be required for transit passengers (bolding mine):

The following individuals are exempt from the obligation to complete an entry form:
  • People who transport goods or passengers across the border in the course of their work;
  • People transiting through Switzerland without a stopover;
  • All cross-border commuters travelling into Switzerland; or
  • People traveling into Switzerland from areas bordering the country with which there are close economic, social or cultural ties. The following countries, areas and regions are considered “border areas”:
    - Regions in Germany: State of Baden-Württemberg, State of Bavaria
    - Regions in France: Region of Grand-Est, Region of Burgundy / Franche Comté, Region of Auvergne / Rhône-Alpes
    - Regions in Italy: Region of Piedmont, Region of Aosta Valley, Region of Lombardy, Region of Trentino / South Tyrol
    - Regions in Austria: State of Tyrol, State of Vorarlberg
    - Regions in Liechtenstein: Entire Principality
Hoping for more confirmation, I actually asked posted this question on FT and received a couple responses suggesting no additional entry requirements to be aware of.

Plus, the Concierge agent at ZRH also stated that no PLF should be required for transit passengers not entering Switzerland.

So I'm fairly certain I'm right on this one.
zrh2yvr likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:40 pm
RDP

Programs: MPC Silver, and other baseline accounts.
I'm reading in horror some of the recent postings on security line wait times in Canada. I'm flying NRT-YVR-YYZ tomorrow, Nov 17. I have three hours scheduled layover in YVR. Should I delay my check-in until 24 hours out (would that apply to my 2nd YVR-YYZ segment) to try and obtain a LMU for YVR-YYZ which would let me use priority screening line, or is this not worth the effort/time/money? Would be happy to hear thoughts on this.

Note: My bid upgrade is closed for the upcoming 17th flight.
Note: I assume I need to take the regular security check line in YVR upon arrival, there is no "transit" security, however JAL suggest maybe there is?

Passengers connecting to Air Canada (AC) should first collect their baggage and go through Customs at the booth for transit passengers (on the right), and then go from the Customs Hall to Level 4, using the dedicated walkway to reach the Air Canada Transfers Counter.

thanks,
RDP
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Here's a first for me

ksm06, arf04, zrh2yvr and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:54 pm
RDP

Programs: MPC Silver, and other baseline accounts.
Well, I can answer my own question now: No need to upgrade, as:

Arrived YVR from international flight.
Went through immigration and security; a few doors and BP checks later I was thrown out into the secure/air side of the terminal, and at no point at all did I encounter a line. No problem at all. Note: My bags were checked through to YYZ.

thanks,
RDP
arf04 and unclepants like this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
YVR domestic this morning was the busiest I’ve ever seen post pandemic. 15 people at super elite checkin and 40+ at priority with the line looping all the way out. Used self serve kiosk instead. Madness. Lounge had one attendant only and line went out the door. 15 min to even get in.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Now I'm worried about my upcoming YUL-YVR-ICN trip on 24th...

I doubt the domestic will have a long line up, as it's early morning flight... but still concerned a little bit.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Flew YOW-YUL-LIS earlier this week. 2nd segment was on TP. Ottawa was quiet that late in the afternoon, only 1 other person in the whole MLL. Delay caused my connection time to only be 30 mins and had to speed walk my way from the “satellite” terminal at YUL to the furthest gate away in the INTL side. Reminded me of the random gate assignments at YYC earlier this year.

On a related note, my bags never got loaded onto the TP flight to LIS and trying to track anyone down who can assist has been difficult. Anyone have a # for the AC office at YUL or someone local that can look into it a bit more than just waiting for the World Tracer ticket to be actioned?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
So exciting…just won the standby lottery and got a middle row Y Lie-flat on the 77W. Was tempted to test row 62. 😂

Flight is packed but this is comfy fun, even with the cranky toddler a couple of rows away.

✈️😃🍫
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:56 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 24left
So exciting…just won the standby lottery and got a middle row Y Lie-flat on the 77W. Was tempted to test row 62. 😂

Flight is packed but this is comfy fun, even with the cranky toddler a couple of rows away.

✈️😃🍫
From flying in International J with bubbles and Kit Kats to Dom standby in Y, with wailing children even. Your definition of excitement and mine are very different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.