Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
A data point I saw on a recent flight. Coming back from Cancun there was about a dozen or so passengers on our flight who had a connection on to England. IIRC our flight was delayed leaving Cancun and arrived about 40 mins late in YYZ. Of course upon landing the entire plane stood up in unison like they were at sunday mass. Here comes the England group panicked that they "only have 20 mins to make their connection", other passengers even began yelling "let these people through they have a connection. Move aside". Meanwhile I'm quietly mumbling to myself and my wife, if their connection is an Air Canada flight then it's Air Canada's problem and they will hold the flight (caveat unless the tickets were on different PnR's). If it's some other airline (BA) than no amount of screaching will likely get them to the gate in time to make that flight. At minimum they should have spoken to a FA and discussed the timing of their connection, rather than try to storm off the plane.

Anyway, point is we live not in a "me first" society, it has become a "me only" society. And crap like this is what results.
The problem with this sitting down until connecting passengers come through is that FAs usually do a terrible job of managing the process, even when they make an announcement. They often just make an announcement and then sit around. As someone sitting towards the front of the plane, how do I know when all the delayed pax have gone past? What do I do when the FA announces there are 8 delayed pax but 15 people have gone past me? It's possible a bunch of those people were just people who needed to move out of the way for the connecting pax to get out of their seats, and that there are still more connecting pax to come. But it's also possible all 8 connecting pax have gone past me and now it's just people from the back deciding they may as well enjoy the ability to not line up to get off.

Really good SDs will manage the process, go get all of the delayed pax, and make sure that 50 additional people don't take advantage of it to get off earlier than they otherwise would. But most don't.

And if the cabin crew haven't somehow coordinated this process, how do I know these people really do have a tight connection?

Originally Posted by canadiancow
???

No they won't.
Not true. They might or might not, depending on the cost of delaying the flight vs the cost of re-booking the passengers, including any potential compensation.
JustSomeGuy1978 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: air miles
***Delete***
Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: air miles
???

No they won't.
My understanding is that if they miss their connecting flight due to an Air Canada delay, that AC is responsible to get them to their destination at AC's cost. Be it getting them on a later flight, on another (partner) airlines flight, or putting them up in a hotel for the night until the next days flight (in the case where there are only single daily flights). And I assumed based on this that AC would rather hold the flight until the passenger(s) board rather incur the costs in doing the above.

Am I wrong?

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The problem with this sitting down until connecting passengers come through is that FAs usually do a terrible job of managing the process, even when they make an announcement. They often just make an announcement and then sit around. As someone sitting towards the front of the plane, how do I know when all the delayed pax have gone past? What do I do when the FA announces there are 8 delayed pax but 15 people have gone past me? It's possible a bunch of those people were just people who needed to move out of the way for the connecting pax to get out of their seats, and that there are still more connecting pax to come. But it's also possible all 8 connecting pax have gone past me and now it's just people from the back deciding they may as well enjoy the ability to not line up to get off.

Really good SDs will manage the process, go get all of the delayed pax, and make sure that 50 additional people don't take advantage of it to get off earlier than they otherwise would. But most don't.

And if the cabin crew haven't somehow coordinated this process, how do I know these people really do have a tight connection?

Not true. They might or might not, depending on the cost of delaying the flight vs the cost of re-booking the passengers, including any potential compensation.
^This^
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That's correct.

They might or might not.

But I'm certainly not the only FTer who's appeared at an AC gate at T-14 only to be told they closed the door 2 minutes ago, with 20 other pax behind me from the same AC flight.

In fact, I've heard this over the radio a concierge was holding while trying to get multiple SEs to their destination. At T-14.

So I'd lean towards "might not".

And I don't even disagree in the general sense. Nothing like a 40 minute connection somewhere as they announce they're delaying to await connecting passengers.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:39 am

That's correct.

They might or might not.

But I'm certainly not the only FTer who's appeared at an AC gate at T-14 only to be told they closed the door 2 minutes ago, with 20 other pax behind me from the same AC flight.

In fact, I've heard this over the radio a concierge was holding while trying to get multiple SEs to their destination. At T-14.

So I'd lean towards "might not".

And I don't even disagree in the general sense. Nothing like a 40 minute connection somewhere as they announce they're delaying to await connecting passengers.
I've actually been bumped arriving T-20. The system saw that my flight was late and I'd never make my connection, so they automatically moved me to the next flight. I have arrived before boarding even started to be told that I had to be on the same flight as my luggage - even if I didn't have any. I've been told that I had to be on the same flight as my luggage, even though once my luggage made the earlier flight (that I was booked on) and I arrived 3 hours later.
canadiancow and FlY2XS like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:49 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Yeah, we had a similar multihousehold multiairport coordination go awry years ago when we were delayed. SIL was held up in YYZ bc they couldn't find her luggage. We landed at YOW and saw her bags sitting at the unclaimed spot on the downward escalator while she was still held at YYZ.
Particular ribbons on one's luggage are actually helpful.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
You only have to be on the same flight as your luggage if you had any control over the situation.

So, for example, if I check my bags on the 12:00, I can't then standby onto the 11:00.

If I check bags onto the 12:00 and no-show / IDB / VDB, they can't let the flight take off with my bags and not me.

...but if I check bags onto the 11:00, the bag handlers lose them and send them on the 12:00 to fix the problem, I don't need to be removed from the flight.

Similarly, during IRROPS, it's possible that they'll send the bag on an earlier flight and not tell me. I hate it when they do this - at least, when they do it and then leave my bag sitting out in a stack in the terminal for several hours - but it's not considered a security risk to the flight.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
You only have to be on the same flight as your luggage if you had any control over the situation.

So, for example, if I check my bags on the 12:00, I can't then standby onto the 11:00.

If I check bags onto the 12:00 and no-show / IDB / VDB, they can't let the flight take off with my bags and not me.

...but if I check bags onto the 11:00, the bag handlers lose them and send them on the 12:00 to fix the problem, I don't need to be removed from the flight.

Similarly, during IRROPS, it's possible that they'll send the bag on an earlier flight and not tell me. I hate it when they do this - at least, when they do it and then leave my bag sitting out in a stack in the terminal for several hours - but it's not considered a security risk to the flight.
Totally agree, but I wasn't able to convince AC to let me board in either case.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:50 pm

So I've been trying to figure out why most or my BPs say SIXF lately.

Apparently there's a special keyword (SIXF) added to most of my PNRs. Glad we sorted that out.

But what it really means is that I'm taking a sixth freedom flight.

DEL-SFO, LHR-SFO, etc.

And they actually print this on the BP now. I do not think they did this 8 months ago. So I'm not sure if it has anyone to do with COVID.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Nexus lanes at both Domestic and TB at YYZ are shut down until March
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Nexus lanes at both Domestic and TB at YYZ are shut down until March
Priority lane still available?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Priority lane still available?
Yes to both, via the automatic gates
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC E75K
AC842 YYZ-FRA on a 77W. J only has 27 out of 40 taken (according to the SD).
Old Jan 30, 2022, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
AC842 YYZ-FRA on a 77W. J only has 27 out of 40 taken (according to the SD).
Mind doing a quick head count? That's a fair bit higher than the number I'm seeing.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Mind doing a quick head count? That's a fair bit higher than the number I'm seeing.
You’re right. It’s pretty dark so I might be off by 1 or 2, but I think there are only 20. The mini cabin only has 2 people. What do you see?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.