Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about APPR (Canadian regulations), this is the correct thread.

For information regarding which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information on claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), please see: Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

(From post #5)
To make a claim, use the following form: https://accc-prod.microsoftcrmportal...da-contact-us/
Flight Delay or Cancellation Claim
Submit your details there and wait for a reply.

Print Wikipost

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2022, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by boomerfss
They did have hotel vouchers but I didn't want to wait so my company paid for that night (they're very good to me).It was already 1 A.M. and there was a long line.
The link you provided takes me to a form to report lost luggage. Not applicable to us as we got our bags back, albeit 4 days after arrival.

I need a form to apply to AC for reimbursement of out of pocket expenses due to flight delays.

Anyone know if such a form exists, and where I might find it?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 29, 2022 at 10:20 am Reason: Fixed quote
Old Oct 29, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: AC*SE MM , Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by StingRay67
The link you provided takes me to a form to report lost luggage. Not applicable to us as we got our bags back, albeit 4 days after arrival.

I need a form to apply to AC for reimbursement of out of pocket expenses due to flight delays.

I got to it easy on that other link. But try this one. Let Us Know · Air Canada Customer Care (microsoftcrmportals.com) It's the second one over on the top line.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by StingRay67

For reimbursement of out of pocket expenses: baggage issues --> delayed or damaged baggage --> submit expenses
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by On Time Reports
For reimbursement of out of pocket expenses: baggage issues --> delayed or damaged baggage --> submit expenses
Hi Ontime,

Can you provide a screen shot of that AC form? I can't find it anywhere, not been able to find it via Google search for terms such as "submit expenses".

Another forum member provided a link to the presumed form I need to fill out but that link takes me to a form titled "Let us Know - Baggage and Items". Nowhere on the form is there anywhere to report expenses due to delayed flights or delayed luggage.

I can't post a screen shot of this form (or include your link in my reply) because this forum won't allow either until I have posted 5 times or more. I think this will be my 5th post, so once I'm able I will post a screen shot of the form that comes up for me.

Maybe AC is redirecting me to another form because I'm in Argentina?

Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:06 pm

A month or so ago I was flying from YOW to YEG on a direct flight. It was delayed and then canceled due to mechanical reasons. They arranged another flight but by the time it landed the crew had timed out. Delayed again til the next morning.

I filled out the form and within a week I got $1000.
My wife and I arrived to our home airport late several weeks ago. We had a canceled flight due to "crew constraints". Then the flight we were rebooked on later was about an hour late, making us land about 10 hours late. I filled out the form after we arrived home. This was on Oct 9 or 10, and I have not yet heard anything.

Is there any way to check up on it? I have a "CAS-" number.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM , Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by g289t
My wife and I arrived to our home airport late several weeks ago. We had a canceled flight due to "crew constraints". Then the flight we were rebooked on later was about an hour late, making us land about 10 hours late. I filled out the form after we arrived home. This was on Oct 9 or 10, and I have not yet heard anything.

Is there any way to check up on it? I have a "CAS-" number.
I went back and looked and it actually took a month (29 days). Just seemed fast. Time flies these days. This is the email I received:

We are in receipt of your claim under the Air Passenger Protection Regulations for flight 383   on 2022-09-01. We are sorry for the delay you experienced at arrival to your final destination.

Temporary exceptions - flights from March 13, 2020 until June 30, 2020

The Canadian Transportation Agency took steps to address the major impacts that the COVID-19 pandemic is having on the airline industry.

The obligation amount to compensate customers for delays has been temporarily adjusted to:

$400.00 for delays of six hours or more but less than nine hours.

$700.00 for delays of more than nine hours.

For all other flight dates starting December 15, 2019

The compensation amount based on the length of delay is:

$400.00 for delays of three hours or more but less than six hours.

$700.00 for delays of six hours or more but less than nine hours.

$1000.00 for delays of more than nine hours.

You are entitled to a compensation in the amount of CAD 1000.00. Payment will be sent by interac etransfer.

You will receive an email from: [email protected] within four (4) business days with a link to accept your payment.
g289t likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:35 pm

I went back and looked and it actually took a month (29 days). Just seemed fast. Time flies these days.
OK, thank you very much! I like that you sent the actual email body so I have something to search for. I sent the claims on Oct 09. They say they'll respond within 30 days, so we'll see. We were scheduled to arrive at 9:58 AM, and our new flight was delayed, landing around the rescheduled 7:40 PM. We were just over 9 hours late, which I guess is a good thing in this case (assuming AC deems us eligible for the compensation).

The delay was actually about as little of an inconvenience as it could be for us. It was a Sunday, so I didn't miss any work. We had J tickets, so we sat in the transborder MLL in YYZ all day. It could have been worse.

This is a different matter, but do you know how they handle currency exchange? I'm from the US.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I had a claim for expenses in the US due to an AC flight cancellation. Claim did not involve APPR. The claim was paid in $CDN. Receipts were in USD.

I pointed out the issue and provided amount owing based on Bank of Canada exchange rate for the day the expenses were incurred. Additional amount paid straight away with an apology.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bartolo
I had a claim for expenses in the US due to an AC flight cancellation. Claim did not involve APPR. The claim was paid in $CDN. Receipts were in USD.

I pointed out the issue and provided amount owing based on Bank of Canada exchange rate for the day the expenses were incurred. Additional amount paid straight away with an apology.
So you submitted the claim in USD and AC paid that amount in CAD? Was this paid into a Canadian bank account? My question is more about paying into a USD bank account in the US. AFAIK the compensation amount is set in CAD, but I am American and I do not have a CAD account.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:23 am

So you submitted the claim in USD and AC paid that amount in CAD? Was this paid into a Canadian bank account? My question is more about paying into a USD bank account in the US. AFAIK the compensation amount is set in CAD, but I am American and I do not have a CAD account.
Claim submitted in USD and clearly marked as such. Receipts were USD. Cheque was sent in CDN for amount claimed. With exchange at the time, it represented about a $20 CDN difference. Additional amount was paid in CDN $ by cheque.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Cheque was sent in CDN for amount claimed.
OK thank you! This is what I was mostly wondering about, how they sent the payment.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:03 am

I have seen posts recently on FT about E-transfers for payment. Not sure if they give you a choice. Best to make a specific request. I would also calculate what the exchange is keeping in mind bank charges for conversion etc. I wasn’t too bothered by the charges because my reimbursement was relatively small but a large amount is a different thing.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Flight cancelled due to "crew constraints". Rebooked on a milk run of the country that had me arrive 5 hours later.

Claim denied as "not within airline's control" with an offer of a $300 eCoupon as a goodwill gesture.

I replied back to AC reiterate my request for compensation. I will give them another 30 days to respond before moving on to the CTA.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Flight cancelled due to "crew constraints". Rebooked on a milk run of the country that had me arrive 5 hours later.

Claim denied as "not within airline's control" with an offer of a $300 eCoupon as a goodwill gesture.

I replied back to AC reiterate my request for compensation. I will give them another 30 days to respond before moving on to the CTA.
Was this recently? I've been reading up on this where I can find information. It seems that a few months ago, the regulators cracked down on Air Canada dismissing "crew constraints" as outside of their control.

This is also the reason our flight was canceled. We were rebooked on another flight about 8 hours later. Then, that flight was delayed a couple hours, putting us at almost 10 hours late. I have not yet gotten a response (other than the "we have received your submission" auto response), but 30 days is not up for another week or so yet.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Was this recently? I've been reading up on this where I can find information. It seems that a few months ago, the regulators cracked down on Air Canada dismissing "crew constraints" as outside of their control.

This is also the reason our flight was canceled. We were rebooked on another flight about 8 hours later. Then, that flight was delayed a couple hours, putting us at almost 10 hours late. I have not yet gotten a response (other than the "we have received your submission" auto response), but 30 days is not up for another week or so yet.
The flight was in August and the response from AC was received on October 5.
g289t likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.