Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about APPR (Canadian regulations), this is the correct thread.

For information regarding which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information on claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), please see: Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

(From post #5)
To make a claim, use the following form: https://accc-prod.microsoftcrmportal...da-contact-us/
Flight Delay or Cancellation Claim
Submit your details there and wait for a reply.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage plus

[Moderator note: a few threads have been merged together to form this one, to try to make it easier to find information on members' experiences with claiming APPR compensation from AC]

Hello,

yesterday my flight YYZ-BOG (AC 1944) was delayed by more than 3 hours. We were given several different reasons: mechanical issue, « flight readiness », « late inbound aircraft ».

i have submitted a reclamation online. Do you think Air Canada will pay for anything?

they basically ruined my NY plan!
jlimftalk likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 28, 2021 at 3:21 pm Reason: Add moderator note
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
No, I don't think they'll pay anything.

And if a 3 hour delay is going to ruin anything, you need to take an earlier flight.
eyeball1, Symmetre, yowcat and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Unmaxdemax
Hello,

yesterday my flight YYZ-BOG (AC 1944) was delayed by more than 3 hours. We were given several different reasons: mechanical issue, « flight readiness », « late inbound aircraft ».

i have submitted a reclamation online. Do you think Air Canada will pay for anything?

they basically ruined my NY plan!
Just 3 hours. That's on time for AC!

And no they will not pay, they will weasel out claiming safety.

Next time, fly a different airline.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Ambassador
Claiming flight delay compensation

(Apologies if this has been discussed before - I searched and couldn't find a thread)

Does anyone have any experience claiming flight delay compensation under the new rules that took effect on December 15th, 2019? If so, how did you submit the claim (call reservations, online form, etc.) and what did you have to send in?

For context:
+ Arrival of flight from YYZ to the U.S. on AC Express was delayed by over three hours this morning
+ I have delay notification emails from Air Canada stating "Reason for delay: This flight is delayed due to a technical issue with aircraft systems."

Actual causes for delay: boarding had to wait until maintenance changed a light bulb, then we waited another 45 minutes on-board until a ground crew arrived to get us off the gate.

FWIW, I have SE status, but I'm not sure that would matter for a regulation-mandated compensation claim.

Thank you!
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Use the following form:

https://accc-prod.microsoftcrmportal...da-contact-us/

Flight Delay or Cancellation Claim

Submit your details there and wait for a reply.

I just did the same for a cancelled flight. Let's see what they reply with.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YYZMike

........"Reason for delay: This flight is delayed due to a technical issue with aircraft systems."......

Very popular these days

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31909909-post2.html
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by YYZMike
(Apologies if this has been discussed before - I searched and couldn't find a thread)

Does anyone have any experience claiming flight delay compensation under the new rules that took effect on December 15th, 2019? If so, how did you submit the claim (call reservations, online form, etc.) and what did you have to send in?

For context:
+ Arrival of flight from YYZ to the U.S. on AC Express was delayed by over three hours this morning
+ I have delay notification emails from Air Canada stating "Reason for delay: This flight is delayed due to a technical issue with aircraft systems."

Actual causes for delay: boarding had to wait until maintenance changed a light bulb, then we waited another 45 minutes on-board until a ground crew arrived to get us off the gate.

FWIW, I have SE status, but I'm not sure that would matter for a regulation-mandated compensation claim.

Thank you!
You will get a reply saying that no compensation due because circumstances out of AC control. Which apparently includes everything including maintenance, mechanical and weather issues.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I suspect that if a master thread of successful compensation claims were created it would be very short.
Antonio8069 and lallied like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
The only compensation we consumers might get under the new rules is IDB, as AC will weasel its way out of all the other ones blaming weather or Act of God. Since the migration to Amadeus, the EF flight status remarks are basically useless compared to the RES III days.

It may be time to record the announcements from GAs and the flight deck as supporting material for our claims. Although a particular member of this FT forum will say it contravenes the Aeronautical Act yada yada.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Nexus
I have a cancelled flight due to lack of crew. Taxis/hotels were provided to all. I’m curious to see how it goes.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:16 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Well, according to the CTA web site, lack of crew is considered within the carrier's control:

Flight disruptions caused by the following would generally be within an airline's control.
  • Staff and flight crew scheduling and availability;
  • Flight preparation activities like aircraft cleaning, baggage loading, and aircraft fueling; and
  • Routine or scheduled maintenance, including any subsequent repairs or required activities.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Well, according to the CTA web site, lack of crew is considered within the carrier's control:
Thats interesting. I have a flight that was delayed and a screenshot from EF that states: DELAY LOADING/UNLOADING.
The misconnect caused a 5 hour delay on arrival.

I m almost certain it will be rejected tho
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:35 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Thats interesting. I have a flight that was delayed and a screenshot from EF that states: DELAY LOADING/UNLOADING.
The misconnect caused a 5 hour delay on arrival.

I m almost certain it will be rejected tho
Why are you so certain it will be rejected?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:17 pm

Two weeks ago I used the form Jebby_ca posted to request cabin downgrade compensation and I received a response in under 24 hours. I was pretty impressed given it was during the busy holiday season.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: Aeropaln
Originally Posted by lallied
You will get a reply saying that no compensation due because circumstances out of AC control. Which apparently includes everything including maintenance, mechanical and weather issues.
That is the response I got on my request. We'll see if my response detailing the items for delay that WERE in their control gets me anywhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.