Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Old Aug 24, 22, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about APPR (Canadian regulations), this is the correct thread.

For information regarding which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information on claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), please see: Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC
Print Wikipost

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Old Nov 28, 22, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
Nearly the same experience here. Almost the same flight day (I posted in the other thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34785702-post147.html)
Yes, it is similar. I hadn't seen your post.

We still have not received the confirmation of compensation for the 2nd person though. Hopefully it'll come through!

Edit: we received the confirmation email today, 6 days later, for the 2nd traveler. The exchange rate must have changed a bit, because we're getting 750 USD (vs 747 USD for the first one).

Last edited by g289t; Nov 28, 22 at 10:29 pm
Old Dec 1, 22, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by annehamnitz View Post
Had a wonderful holiday in Grenada, bookended by. a couple of miserable travel days.
Started with a cancelled connecting flight to Toronto. We had planned an overnight in Toronto before the morning flight south. Heavy fog was the obvious cause. Was eventually rebooked on a flight next day which could not make the twice weekly connection. Drove instead and was lucky to find a reasonable one way rental. Spent quality time on hold making sure the remaining flights weren't touched. This was a points trip so will just try to get a few of those refunded.
Trip home took longer. The flight to Grenada was delayed several times with reasons listed as waiting for connecting passengers (!!) , then crew availability issues for a total of 4 hours delay. Returned trip of course delayed the same four hours which caused us to miss the last connecting flight home. Automatically rebooked for the next morning. Real disappointment was to arrive in Toronto at 2am to a complete absence of Air Canada employees so no vouchers or ability to rebook rebooked flight a little later to gain some sleep time. Was traveling with friends who did not want to pay $250 for a 4 hour hotel room. Wandered the airport for 3 hours then found the lounge (which at least had hot food and no qualms about our 4 guests). Arrived home only 8 hours late but unhappy. Will fill out the compensation form for this one.

Stuff happens. It was the really poor communication and the obvious lack of any interest in our wellbeing that made things more difficult.
I work in a field where being proactive with unhappy customers, even when it is not my fault, goes a long way to keeping folks satisfied.

Have the first $700
Old Dec 15, 22, 2:16 am

Air Canada Compensation from the Summer 2022

Originally Posted by pdbe25 View Post
I have decided to go through CTA. I hope to get a resolution by late Autumn or just in time for Christmas.
After a few months, I have received an email from Air Canada (Customer Care – Service Client <[email protected]>) agreeing to compensation in July with the help of Canadian Transportation Agency. However, Air Canada refers to them as Canadian Transposition Agency. Thank you for the support and suggestion.

Last edited by pdbe25; Dec 15, 22 at 2:17 am Reason: Correct Error
Old Dec 15, 22, 1:50 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by pdbe25 View Post
However, Air Canada refers to them as Canadian Transposition Agency.
As transposition is my normal way of typing, that just cracks me up. Possibly Freudian even.
Old Dec 16, 22, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Cant find any answers that apply to this fact pattern.
I was scheduled to fly DCA-YYZ-YVR tonight on a Aeroplan ticket.
DCA-YYZ went mechanical (as stated in an email and repeatedly stated by airport agents). I was rebooked for 48 hours later. Airport agents said they would have been happy to route me through SFO or ORD and have me overnight there, even on other airliness, but said since it was an Aeroplan ticket they couldnt. Aeroplan told them there was nothing that could be done and Sunday night was the earliest. After 3 hours of arguing, cajoling, crying, and missing all of the options that could get me out tonight, I gave up and booked a mileage ticket on Alaska for tomorrow morning at an exorbitant rate. (The AC airport agent did give me hotel voucher for the night for the airport hilton).

My reading (assuming that they dont change their mind that it was mechanical) is that I am owed $400? Does the fact that it was an Aeroplan ticket absolve them?
Old Dec 16, 22, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Cant find any answers that apply to this fact pattern.
My reading (assuming that they dont change their mind that it was mechanical) is that I am owed $400? Does the fact that it was an Aeroplan ticket absolve them?
Cash compensation under the APPR only applies if it was within the airlines control and not for safety. Maintenance may fall into the safety category which means you wouldn't be eligible for the cash compensation.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 22, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by zappy312 View Post
Cash compensation under the APPR only applies if it was within the airlines control and not for safety. Maintenance may fall into the safety category which means you wouldn't be eligible for the cash compensation.
Thanks. I am expecting them to come up with that excuse, but I just wanted to make sure the mileage ticket and my refusal of their two-day later offer werent disqualifying.
Old Dec 17, 22, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
I had an issue at SFO where the system wasn't letting them touch my booking (guaranteed overnight misconnect) because it was an Aeroplan ticket. They had to call the help desk to have the FQTR SSR removed. Maybe other things were done as well.

It seems preposterous too not allow agents to touch Aeroplan bookings during IRROPS. I suspect there's an easier way that most agents just don't know about.

But I'm pretty sure that legally they needed to book you on the next flight with positive space. I'd go after them for that.
Old Dec 17, 22, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I had an issue at SFO where the system wasn't letting them touch my booking (guaranteed overnight misconnect) because it was an Aeroplan ticket. They had to call the help desk to have the FQTR SSR removed. Maybe other things were done as well.

It seems preposterous too not allow agents to touch Aeroplan bookings during IRROPS. I suspect there's an easier way that most agents just don't know about.

But I'm pretty sure that legally they needed to book you on the next flight with positive space. I'd go after them for that.
I told them as much, and presented them with options I'd pulled from Expertflyer. The desk called Aeroplan several times and they just insisted those weren't available "to them."
Old Dec 17, 22, 4:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
They shouldn't have called Aeroplan. Operating airline deals with IRROPS, not ticketing agent.
Old Dec 17, 22, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by annehamnitz View Post
Have the first $700
My wife and I have now each received our compensation. We're Americans, so the $1k CAD was exchanged for USD. My wife's compensation was approved about a week before mine, so she got a different exchange rate. She got 747 USD, and I got 750 USD.

Our canceled/delayed flight was on Oct 09. My wife's check came in the mail on (about) Nov 30, and mine arrived around Dec 12.
Old Dec 17, 22, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
They shouldn't have called Aeroplan. Operating airline deals with IRROPS, not ticketing agent.
I told that to everyone, but they insisted they couldn't touch an Aeroplan ticket because I had already been auto-rebooked. (I got the same answer from AC agents in person, AC agents on the phone, and AC agents on Twitter.)
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 5, 23, 11:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Wasn't sure if this belonged in this thead or the delays/cacellations thread.

As I sat last night on another delayed flight, I thought about this.

In the flght delay emails it says:

This flight is delayed and we are working to determine the cause for this delay.

Situations surrounding flight disruptions can be complex and have multiple causes. We are required to inform you of the reason for a flight disruption. Please be aware that the reasons provided for a flight disruption may change as the situation evolves, new issues arise, or new information is received.
Bolding mine. But of course ac.com only ever says:

Customers on this flight may refer to email, SMS notifications, and boarding gate announcements for more information on this delay. Learn more about flight disruptions.
They obviouly never email you proactively with the reason (despite they themselves said they are required to tell you!), and will deny all APPR requests. How can this be seen as anything other than an obvious attempt to stop compensation requests, as you can never find out the reason for your delay, unless told in-person during the delay... which then becomes a he-said/she-said thing.

For bonus points, even in EF, it usually has stuff like "DELAY 05" as the delay reason, which maps to some AC-internal reason they used to display on ac.com... which is no longer there of course .
Old Jan 13, 23, 7:57 pm

Location: YOW, but formerly SJC/SFO, LGA, YUL, YGK, and ultimately YQQ
Programs: Altitude 50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, occasionally the odd Accor hotel
APPR

After repeated calls, how do you get APPR answers from AC (or WS)?
Old Jan 13, 23, 8:07 pm

You don't call, you need to submit your request online by emailing customer relations. They'd be the ones who can review the request and make a decision regarding your flight(s).
​​​​​​
​​​​

Search this Thread