Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Old Aug 24, 22, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about APPR (Canadian regulations), this is the correct thread.

For information regarding which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information on claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), please see: Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC
Print Wikipost

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Old Nov 4, 22, 11:20 am

How is it possible to find out the reasons why an equipment swap was done? Family member was downgraded from business to economy due to an equipment swap.
Old Nov 4, 22, 12:38 pm

Programs: SkyPesos
Not sure if anyone saw this yet:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...tion-1.6639381
Air Canada, WestJet launch legal battles to overturn orders to compensate passengers for cancelled flights

The fight over compensation claims for cancelled and delayed flights has made its way into the Federal Court of Appeal.

Air Canada and WestJet have both launched a legal battle to appeal separate Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) rulings where, in each case, the airline was ordered to compensate one or more passengers $1,000 for a cancelled flight caused by a staffing shortage.
Old Nov 4, 22, 12:51 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
That action, coupled with AC maybe removing delay reasons from the mobile app (as raised by Adam Smith ), has me thinking that they simply want to prima facie deny as many future claims as possible.

Their strategy appears to be to first obfuscate the root cause when they can, and then claim that almost everything else is either a safety issue and/or beyond their control. And yet, AC has publicly proclaimed to their shareholders that they want to fix their OTP issue.

Seems like a Sisyphean task to me if they truly have such a meager ability to control anything.
Old Nov 4, 22, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
Their strategy appears to be to first obfuscate the root cause when they can, and then claim that almost everything else is either a safety issue and/or beyond their control. And yet, AC has publicly proclaimed to their shareholders that they want to fix their OTP issue.
I see no reason why both can't be true.

Bad OTP is bad for everyone, including AC. Even without APPR, there are hotel/meal costs, poor passenger experience, crew issues, etc.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Nov 4, 22, 7:18 pm

Programs: SkyPesos
It's an interesting strategy because one of the reasons APPR exists is to force carriers to own up to their mistakes and fix it (hence the monetary aspect). But looks like AC doesn't want to do that at all.
If AC/WS didn't have these issues in the first place, would APPR be even a thing?
Old Nov 4, 22, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic View Post
It's an interesting strategy because one of the reasons APPR exists is to force carriers to own up to their mistakes and fix it (hence the monetary aspect). But looks like AC doesn't want to do that at all.
If AC/WS didn't have these issues in the first place, would APPR be even a thing?
I think it highlights that the APPR needs to be rewritten to put more onus on the carrier and provide a more expedient dispute resolution mechanism. The whole thing is toothless if airlines have free reign to define what is or isn't within their control.
Old Nov 12, 22, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by cmill007 View Post
Has anyone at all gotten a response from Customer Care after responding to the initial denial email?
I have heard nothing from them in relation to our missed connection and delay. Ive followed up with email twice but nothing, my next step is CTA. Weve had 2 separate international delays that were over 5 hours each time.
Old Nov 14, 22, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Michdinn View Post
I have heard nothing from them in relation to our missed connection and delay. Ive followed up with email twice but nothing, my next step is CTA. Weve had 2 separate international delays that were over 5 hours each time.
Did you originally submit a claim through the online form? That's what I did, on Oct 09 after we arrived home about 10 hours late. I got this auto response:

"We are in receipt of your claim under the Air Passenger Protection Regulations for flight 8928 on 2022/10/09 12:00 AM. You can rest assured that we will get back to you within 30 days."

I have heard nothing since then, and we're at 36 days now. I have no idea what to do now. Or, do I just sit it out?
Old Nov 14, 22, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by g289t View Post
Did you originally submit a claim through the online form? That's what I did, on Oct 09 after we arrived home about 10 hours late. I got this auto response:

"We are in receipt of your claim under the Air Passenger Protection Regulations for flight 8928 on 2022/10/09 12:00 AM. You can rest assured that we will get back to you within 30 days."

I have heard nothing since then, and we're at 36 days now. I have no idea what to do now. Or, do I just sit it out?
Yes I applied online but heard nothing back. Ive tried contacting them again but nothing. I received the same we are in receipt email both times. Please let me know if you hear anything back.
g289t likes this.
Old Nov 14, 22, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Michdinn View Post
Please let me know if you hear anything back.
Will do!

I also submitted a request for luggage. Besides our flight being late, our luggage didn't arrive. I didn't need anything, but my wife had to buy a few things until our bag was delivered a day or two later. I submitted a reimbursement request. Although, it wasn't very much, and we ended up getting all our stuff eventually, so it was no real loss. I mainly did it to see what happens.

For the luggage request, the auto response said that it may take up to 45 days for a response.
Old Nov 16, 22, 1:03 pm

I submitted on Nov 5th and got a reply today denying the claim (AC186 YVR - YYZ was delaying causing me to miss my connection to MCO). I had the breadcrumbs of the fin being delayed originally due to pilot scheduling.
After investigation, we have determined that your flight was disrupted due to safety related crew constraints beyond the airline’s control. An example of this can occur when crew are required to isolate if they have been exposed to COVID-19. Another example is when crew reach their regulatory duty day limit as a result of flight disruption caused by third party handling, such as airport security, and customs and immigration processing.

As a result, since your Air Canada flight was disrupted due to factors outside of the airline’s control, regretfully the compensation you are requesting does not apply.
A $100 goodwill eCoupon was offered.

I ended up booking a United flight to get to my final destination since AC rebooked me on an American Airlines flight that arrived way later. They saw the space on united but wouldn't book it since it was first vs the economy ticket I had. I originally asked for reimbursement of the United flight but they ignored that portion of my claim... Guess I'll keep trying? Not sure what recourse I really have.
Old Nov 18, 22, 4:32 pm

Had a wonderful holiday in Grenada, bookended by. a couple of miserable travel days.
Started with a cancelled connecting flight to Toronto. We had planned an overnight in Toronto before the morning flight south. Heavy fog was the obvious cause. Was eventually rebooked on a flight next day which could not make the twice weekly connection. Drove instead and was lucky to find a reasonable one way rental. Spent quality time on hold making sure the remaining flights weren't touched. This was a points trip so will just try to get a few of those refunded.
Trip home took longer. The flight to Grenada was delayed several times with reasons listed as waiting for connecting passengers (!!) , then crew availability issues for a total of 4 hours delay. Returned trip of course delayed the same four hours which caused us to miss the last connecting flight home. Automatically rebooked for the next morning. Real disappointment was to arrive in Toronto at 2am to a complete absence of Air Canada employees so no vouchers or ability to rebook rebooked flight a little later to gain some sleep time. Was traveling with friends who did not want to pay $250 for a 4 hour hotel room. Wandered the airport for 3 hours then found the lounge (which at least had hot food and no qualms about our 4 guests). Arrived home only 8 hours late but unhappy. Will fill out the compensation form for this one.

Stuff happens. It was the really poor communication and the obvious lack of any interest in our wellbeing that made things more difficult.
I work in a field where being proactive with unhappy customers, even when it is not my fault, goes a long way to keeping folks satisfied.
Old Nov 22, 22, 11:58 am

Update: I just got this email a few minutes ago:

I submitted the claim on Oct 09, 2022, which was the day of the delayed flight. The total delay was about 9h 30 minutes, just over the time for the maximum compensation. Our flight was canceled, and the flight on which we were rebooked was delayed.

While we're over the 30 days promised for response, today being the 44th day actually isn't too bad, considering how the cases have been handled for some. I never did anything to follow up on it.

This claim is actually my wife's, so hopefully mine will come through soon!
Old Nov 23, 22, 10:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan
It looks like AC might be loosening it in terms of actually paying due compensations.

I still have not received anything from a cancelled flight from July.
Old Nov 26, 22, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by g289t View Post
Update: I just got this email a few minutes ago:

I submitted the claim on Oct 09, 2022, which was the day of the delayed flight. The total delay was about 9h 30 minutes, just over the time for the maximum compensation. Our flight was canceled, and the flight on which we were rebooked was delayed.

While we're over the 30 days promised for response, today being the 44th day actually isn't too bad, considering how the cases have been handled for some. I never did anything to follow up on it.

This claim is actually my wife's, so hopefully mine will come through soon!
Nearly the same experience here. Almost the same flight day (I posted in the other thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34785702-post147.html)
g289t likes this.

Search this Thread