Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about APPR (Canadian regulations), this is the correct thread.

For information regarding which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information on claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), please see: Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

(From post #5)
To make a claim, use the following form: https://accc-prod.microsoftcrmportal...da-contact-us/
Flight Delay or Cancellation Claim
Submit your details there and wait for a reply.

Print Wikipost

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
AC 309 YUL-YVR June 15 - major delay

AC 309 YUL-YVR June 15 - major delay (near 5 hours). The app states 'airport limitation' as a reason.
Will the affected pax be eligible for any compensation?

I have taken this flight several times in the not so distant past and will be taking it again very soon. It is seems to be late almost every day, though not as much as on June 15.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC 50k, Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I have an APPR claim to file with AC based on a flight cancellation from LHR-YUL, we were re-booked on a flight 30 hours later. I understand I should be able to claim $1000 per passenger? Would hotel and meal expenses be considered inclusive or exclusive to this amount?

Also I have a paid membership to ExpertFlyer, and I wanted to check back for a possible claim from last month. However under Flight Status it doesn't allow me to check historical dates beyond one week, is there a workaround to this or another source?

Cheers!
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by mattc
I have an APPR claim to file with AC based on a flight cancellation from LHR-YUL, we were re-booked on a flight 30 hours later. I understand I should be able to claim $1000 per passenger? Would hotel and meal expenses be considered inclusive or exclusive to this amount?

Also I have a paid membership to ExpertFlyer, and I wanted to check back for a possible claim from last month. However under Flight Status it doesn't allow me to check historical dates beyond one week, is there a workaround to this or another source?

Cheers!
What was the reason for cancellation?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:29 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Am I missing something or is the Eligibility Tool gone? When I try to link to it from a Google Search the page just redirects to the homepage, and on the page about flight delays it mentions the self serve compensation eligibility tool but its not a link?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wjw
Am I missing something or is the Eligibility Tool gone? When I try to link to it from a Google Search the page just redirects to the homepage, and on the page about flight delays it mentions the self serve compensation eligibility tool but its not a link?
The cynic in me would say that since nothing is eligible anymore (COVID you know!), the link was no longer needed
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by mattc

Cheers!
why didn't you claim under uk261 (the ec261 version after brexit), usually it's harder to claim under the canadian rules.
okazon69, Bohemian1 and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: AC 50k, Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skiier97
What was the reason for cancellation?
for the LHR-YUL flight, AC and EF are claiming a "technical issue" with the incoming plane. However in talking to some people at LHR, they think it's likely AC cancelled the flight to align with Heathrow's request to limit passengers to 100k/day

on the one from last month, it was 1 hour "completing paperwork" on the departure tarmac, then another 2 hours waiting for a gate at YYZ
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by aznfreak007
why didn't you claim under uk261 (the ec261 version after brexit), usually it's harder to claim under the canadian rules.
I haven't yet filed a claim with AC and wasn't aware of uk261 so thank you!
luvFclass likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:26 am

AC has been non-responsive to my EC261 complaints so far. They've now been moved to collections here in Germany. The CTA has so far provided me with nothing on the three complaints I opened with them (1 for a cancellation, one for a long delay, and one for a breach of duty of care).
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by poshul
AC has been non-responsive to my EC261 complaints so far. They've now been moved to collections here in Germany. The CTA has so far provided me with nothing on the three complaints I opened with them (1 for a cancellation, one for a long delay, and one for a breach of duty of care).
The CTA doesn't move fast, expect 1-2 years for a resolution (more now that I think they're getting backed up). They'll email / call you out of the blue one day to follow-up. What does the status show when you check the status? Case Status Enquiries
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by zappy312
The CTA doesn't move fast, expect 1-2 years for a resolution (more now that I think they're getting backed up). They'll email / call you out of the blue one day to follow-up. What does the status show when you check the status? Case Status Enquiries
" The CTA has received a high number of complaints. We process each complaint as quickly as possible, based on its merit, impartially and in a rigorous manner. Once your case has been reviewed, you will be notified. To learn more please consult the CTA's Dispute Resolution Services on our website. "

Emailing them about it just got a really passive aggressive "we'll get to it when we get to it" response.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan Basic; BA Executive Club Blue;
Funny you say this.....was just at YYZ Customer service getting a hotel voucher, and the agent was refusing another passenger a hotel because "Covid is an unforeseen event" when he got a text saying the flight was cancelled due to aircraft availability in which the agent said "aircraft availability due to covid". I'm thankful my flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC SE
Had a domestic Jazz flight cancelled in June due to crew constraints. Got what seems to be the standard reply now denying APPR compensation, claiming that crew constraints are now all covid related and everything is outside of their control.

In this instance, the compensation you are requesting does not apply because the cancellation was caused by a safety-related issue. Specifically, we have determined that the root cause of your arrival delay was due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our operations. In particular, the delay of your flight was caused by unforeseen staffing issues experienced by Air Canada on all our operations, which arose due to COVID-19 pandemic's impact on our ability to operate the flight in question.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:33 am

Yeah, their flagrant breach of their duty of care is thing that I am really pissed about. I'll get my cancellation compensation eventually, either through CTA or the collections agency here in Germany. But them not providing meal vouchers and a hotel, despite being required to do so, and having their CSRs baldly lie about it is infuriating. I've got travel insurance so I'll be made whole, but I can't forget the face of the woman next to me who apparently didn't have a credit card with her, and was told she had to sleep in the airport. I've tried contacting a couple of CA based law-firms trying to stir up interest in filing a class action suit, but have had no luck so far.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:04 am

AC801 DUB-YYZ 09 July 2022

AC801 on the first leg of my DUB-YYZ-CLT trip on the 09 July 2022 departed late and arrived in Toronto Airport 4+ hours late. The text notification said this was due to Airport Limitations.
I missed my connection in Toronto Airport due to the late arrival of AC801.
On 10 July 2022, my rebooked flight with Air Canada was cancelled due to pandemic-related factors beyond our control such as industry-wide labour shortages and government entry requirements
I eventually arrived on 11 July in CLT

My compensation claim to Air Canada for AC801 DUB to YYZ was rejected as follows.

We are in receipt of your claim under the Air Passenger Protection Regulations for flight 801 on 2022-07-09. We are sorry for the delay you experienced at arrival to your final destination.
In this instance, the compensation you are requesting does not apply because the delay was caused by a safety-related issue.
We hope that we may have another opportunity to welcome you on board.

How does airport limitation become a safety issue two weeks later?

What options for compensation are available to me?

Anyone in a similar situation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.