Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about APPR (Canadian regulations), this is the correct thread.

For information regarding which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information on claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), please see: Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

(From post #5)
To make a claim, use the following form: https://accc-prod.microsoftcrmportal...da-contact-us/
Flight Delay or Cancellation Claim
Submit your details there and wait for a reply.

Print Wikipost

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K; AC 50K; Marriott Titanium
Multiple delays on multiple airlines

Just went through this thread and I don't see many references so my situation.

I was flying on a United ticket FSD-ORD-YYZ. All flights were UA metal.

Upon arriving in ORD, my flight was cancelled due to weather which is clearly not eligible. I was rebooked the next day on UA flight to ORD-CLE and AC flight CLE-YYZ with a total delay of 18 hours.

Arriving in CLE, my flight AC CLE-YYZ was cancelled due to crew constraints. Rebooked on next flight with additional delay of 4 hours.

I will therefore get home 24 hours after scheduled arrival.

With 2 reasons, one eligible and not the other, what happens. Do I get the 4 hour compensation or the 24 hours? And who do I file the complaint to? United or Air Canada?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
1. I'm surprised you accepted ORD-CLE-YYZ
2. AC only owes you for 4 hours
3. UA might give you something, but it won't be under the regs
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Use the following form:

https://accc-prod.microsoftcrmportal...da-contact-us/

Flight Delay or Cancellation Claim

Submit your details there and wait for a reply.

I just did the same for a cancelled flight. Let's see what they reply with.
Thanks for posting the link. I'm always paranoid about entering data into links/websites I don't recognize on public forums (if the link was to aircanada.com I wouldn't have thought twice about it).

Anyways, if anyone is paranoid like me and wants to navigate to the form from the aircanada.com website, here is where you can find it.

From aircanada.com, click on "customer support" at the top of the page. Then click on Frequently Asked Questions. Under "what happens if my flight is delayed?" section there is a link to the General Terms and Conditions of Carriage. Under the section titled "In the event of an extended delay or a cancellation" there is section 4 - "Your Recourses" and the link to the webform can be found there (actually that page contains another link to the actual form)...
Jebby_ca and canadiancow like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I posted upthread about a relative’s situation. He filed a claim. Denied but e-coupon “as goodwill” given.

The more interesting thing is that the claim was denied because AC does not have a crew base at the departure airport. If this is true under the new legislation, it will impact many claims because there are a limited number of crew bases.

Thoughts? Next steps?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bartolo
I posted upthread about a relative’s situation. He filed a claim. Denied but e-coupon “as goodwill” given.

The more interesting thing is that the claim was denied because AC does not have a crew base at the departure airport. If this is true under the new legislation, it will impact many claims because there are a limited number of crew bases.

Thoughts? Next steps?
...wat
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Bartolo

Thoughts? Next steps?
Obviously the location and number of AC crew bases is outside of the airline's control.
I'llMissCP and zappy312 like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by YEG USER
From aircanada.com, click on "customer support" at the top of the page. Then click on Frequently Asked Questions. Under "what happens if my flight is delayed?" section there is a link to the General Terms and Conditions of Carriage. Under the section titled "In the event of an extended delay or a cancellation" there is section 4 - "Your Recourses" and the link to the webform can be found there (actually that page contains another link to the actual form)...
It seems typical of AC that something like this would be buried deep in the virtual bowels of their public portal. But then if you ask them they’ll say “It’s on the web site.”
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Court denies airlines appeal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/pas...ghts-1.5485947

If that's what AC was wating for, won't help....
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How long does it usually take before I get the finger from AC on my original claim? I assume once they do this, there is an option to respond directly to them, or do I just need to go straight to small claims court?
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
How long does it usually take before I get the finger from AC on my original claim? I assume once they do this, there is an option to respond directly to them, or do I just need to go straight to small claims court?
I got a negative answer the next day. Sent them a mail pointing out that they answered about the wrong flight. That was over two weeks ago. Ready to go to the CTA. Which might be slow but less onerous then small claims.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:22 pm

I had 2 separate flights over the past month. 1 delayed by 4 hours, the other by almost 24. I submitted the claim for the 4 hour delay a few minutes after I submitted the one for the 24 hour delay.

For the 4 hour delay I received the rejection within 24 hours of submission. It stated:

We are in receipt of your claim under the Air Passenger Protection Regulations for flight XXX on XXXXXXX. We are sorry for the delay you experienced at arrival to your final destination.
In this instance, the compensation you are requesting does not apply because the delay was caused by an event outside of our control.

Specifically:

AC XXX
AC XXX ​This flight was delayed due to customer processing issues.
AC XXX This flight was delayed due to unforeseen maintenance that does not include scheduled maintenance or mechanical problems identified during scheduled maintenance.

We hope that we may have another opportunity to welcome you on board.
No "reply to" information was provided if I disagreed with the information they provided.

Now, I was fully expecting this rejection. I'm curious to see how they respond to the 24 hour delay as I submitted that claim almost a week ago. The issue on that one was 24hr delay was crew scheduling, so who knows what the response will be. I'm hoping that the fact that the response is taking longer than the other one is a good thing...
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: United
I didn't read most of the replies, but I had a YVR-SFO flight on AC Jazz that was delayed for 4 hours 15 minutes because of fog and rain in SF, first week of Dec 2019. Since it was on a Saturday evening, no customer service people were around, which I understood to be pretty normal, as even the restaurants close by 8pm. I complained that there was no customer service which denied me the opportunity to attempt to go on alternate flights (say to SJC or to take United), and of course the standard 2 hour hold times on the AC customer service line was of no use. To my surprise, they offered me a coupon for 30% off of my next flight.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by ProfessorPlum168
I didn't read most of the replies, but I had a YVR-SFO flight on AC Jazz that was delayed for 4 hours 15 minutes because of fog and rain in SF, first week of Dec 2019. Since it was on a Saturday evening, no customer service people were around, which I understood to be pretty normal, as even the restaurants close by 8pm. I complained that there was no customer service which denied me the opportunity to attempt to go on alternate flights (say to SJC or to take United), and of course the standard 2 hour hold times on the AC customer service line was of no use. To my surprise, they offered me a coupon for 30% off of my next flight.
FYI your flight would have been before the new Canadian regulations came into effect which mandate certain compensation levels in certain cases. While not really applicable to this thread, it's good to know you got something!

I too had a delay before the new rules came into effect and got a decent % discount code as good will. IMHO it seems like AC might have been more generous with goodwill compensation under the old regime. Now that there are loopholes enshrined in law they seem to be getting more stingy.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:24 pm

Yeah, I'd take 30% over a few hundred dollars any day.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:24 pm

Say I check-in online, get to the airport then learn that my 1PM departure scheduled flight will have a delay of several hours and won't depart until 8PM. Am I still eligible for flight delay compensation under APPR if I contact Air Canada to be reaccomodated/rebooked on a flight that departs at 5PM the same day or 8AM the following day and I ultimately travel on a different flight ?

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah, I'd take 30% over a few hundred dollars any day.
Most steerage fliers would take the cash

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.