Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about APPR (Canadian regulations), this is the correct thread.

For information regarding which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information on claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), please see: Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

(From post #5)
To make a claim, use the following form: https://accc-prod.microsoftcrmportal...da-contact-us/
Flight Delay or Cancellation Claim
Submit your details there and wait for a reply.

Print Wikipost

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Flight delayed 5.5 hours, AC declined full compensation

Fight delayed 5.5 hours from LA to Toronto, AC decline full compensation per the APPR, supposed to be 400dollars. as a good gesture, they offer 200 ecoupon. Should I take it or pursue further?

Thanks in advance!

Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:00 am

Depends on the reason, if it was weather or another uncontrollable issue where compensation doesn't apply, collecting the coupon is much better than what you'd deserve (zilch).

If it was a controllable delay, you can try to fight for the rest of your compensation.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zappy312
If it was a controllable delay, you can try to fight for the rest of your compensation.
AC is claiming that it's exempt because the issue was safety-related. I don't buy it because that would exempt virtually all maintenance-related issues.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Feb 23, 2020 at 11:11 am
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the OP know exactly what the mechanical problem was?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
AC is claiming that it's exempt because the issue was safety-related. I don't buy it because that would exempt virtually all maintenance-related issues.
Which had been discussed extensively in other threads. While the act specifies certain payment amounts, it also makes it very difficult to collect as most of the reasons flights are typically delayed/cancelled are exempt from compensation. The act isn’t nearly as strict as what is in place in the EU.

I wish things were different. I myself am about to submit a claim for a non-weather/non-mechanical delay that caused me to return home with a 24 hour delay. Looking to see what happens...
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It sounds like you're not familiar with the regulations.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Yesterday AC756 (SFO-YYZ) was cancelled after sitting on the tarmac for hours. The engines would not start after being pushed back. The captain explained it was no problem, they would have the maintenance crew come and do it manually, but several hours later parked back at the gate and repeated attempts to start the engines ended up with no luck. Flight was cancelled and we reached YYZ with a 10+ hour delay.

I am expecting the $1,000 compensation for this case - will report back.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:47 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Rundosrun
I am expecting the $1,000 compensation for this case - will report back.
Why? This is a maintenance issue, one that wasn't identified during routine maintenance, and AC will therefore deny the claim for safety reasons.

Don't get me wrong, the legislation sucks, and it seems like AC may offer you something as goodwill, but "expecting" seems like an exaggeration.
canadiancow and gcashin like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Why? This is a maintenance issue, one that wasn't identified during routine maintenance, and AC will therefore deny the claim for safety reasons.

Don't get me wrong, the legislation sucks, and it seems like AC may offer you something as goodwill, but "expecting" seems like an exaggeration.
The fact the captain kept saying it was a minor issue and would not impact things, and that they had every intention of departing with a manual start would seem to say the lack of the autostart was not a safety issue?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The fact the captain kept saying it was a minor issue and would not impact things, and that they had every intention of departing with a manual start would seem to say the lack of the autostart was not a safety issue?
AC has deemed pretty much every maintenance item to be a safety issue. And if you read the APPR guidelines, they're written pretty favourably for the airlines, in that any maintenance issue that doesn't come up during scheduled maintenance is a "safety" issue and therefore exempt.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG USER

I wish things were different. I myself am about to submit a claim for a non-weather/non-mechanical delay that caused me to return home with a 24 hour delay. Looking to see what happens...
I made a claim after a cancellation, which the e-mail said was because of a crewing issue. Denied based upon not the cancelled flight but because the flight actually taken was (apparently) delayed for a safety or weather reason...

I sent a mail back. So far no answer. Next step is the CTA, after we get back home. Apparently the web form is not overly onerous.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:36 am

I like this argument. Please pursue it and report back.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
If Air Canada failed to provide one of the engines for the aircraft, would that also be a safety issue, because you cannot safely take off on one engine?

Or can passengers reasonably expect some baseline duty with regard to maintenance?

I think this remains to be established by the CTA.

I believe the legislation was written to avoid a situation where airlines might ignore a warning light to avoid delaying and paying compensation. Despite my misgivings about this line of reasoning due to the experience with EU261, that is a reasonable goal.

I don't think Parliament intended that the airline be absolved of responsibility for any and all mechanical problems.

Parliament created a loophole with good intentions and Air Canada is trying to drive a 777 through it.
Adam Smith and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:02 am

eigenvector , 100% agree with your post, and I'm certainly not saying that Rundosrun (or anyone else in the same position) shouldn't pursue compensation - I certainly would do it myself.

I'm just trying to advise that expecting the compensation that we think should be owed under APPR is probably going too far at this stage, when AC has very clearly established its position on these matters.
canadiancow and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
If Air Canada failed to provide one of the engines for the aircraft, would that also be a safety issue, because you cannot safely take off on one engine?
In this case, neither engine would start. There's no safety issue. It's not taking off.

"Can't fly" and "can't safely fly" are two very different things, that may make a legal difference here.
OSSYULYYZ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.