Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about APPR (Canadian regulations), this is the correct thread.

For information regarding which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information on claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), please see: Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

(From post #5)
To make a claim, use the following form: https://accc-prod.microsoftcrmportal...da-contact-us/
Flight Delay or Cancellation Claim
Submit your details there and wait for a reply.

Print Wikipost

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Why are you so certain it will be rejected?
Has there been any claims under the new rules that have been paid out?

Any?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:24 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Has there been any claims under the new rules that have been paid out?

Any?
Early days, so I'm not sure the question is even relevant yet.

Hopefully we will hear about more cases and be able to figure our what, if any gets compensated and how.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage plus
Hey Mr/Mrs know-it-all. Claim went through and got something (not a 15% voucher ahaha).

I fly a lot with AC and they are usually pretty good.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Unmaxdemax
Hey Mr/Mrs know-it-all. Claim went through and got something (not a 15% voucher ahaha).

Where/how did you file a claim? I need to file one for a forced overnight due to a mechanical cancelation within AC's control.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Where/how did you file a claim? I need to file one for a forced overnight due to a mechanical cancelation within AC's control.
I just submitted a claim for a mechanical delay which caused my to get to my final destination 25 hours later than scheduled. No compensation because it was mechanical and therefore a safety issue.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC SE
Looking for input on whether others have had any luck in getting AC to pay compensation for delays where AC swaps out aircraft, even though the originally assigned inbound arrives on time and didn't have any maintenance issues:
  • Flying LAS-YYC 12:15 PM flight, posted a delayed ~3+ hours
  • Originally scheduled inbound flight YUL-LAS on Fin 257 arrives on time, but then gets reassigned to go back to YUL
  • LAS-YYC gets reassigned to Fin 251 that has a scheduled arrival time of 2:41 PM, more than 2 hours after our flight is scheduled to leave
I expect they'll likely claim it was a safety issue, but they've reassigned an aircraft that's scheduled arrival time is 2.5 hours after our flight was supposed to depart, so seems more of a scheduling issue. Thoughts? Anyone had luck getting AC to pay compensation in this type of scenario?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
The question of which aircraft was (possibly) assigned to which flight, and which changes were made at any point regarding the specific aircraft used to operate a flight ... those issues are not relevant at all. There are absolutely no guarantees made about the specific plane, and changes are made daily and at the last minute about the selection of which fin number is used to operate which flight.

The only thing that matters is what time your actual plane actually departed. If your flight was late enough, then you could try to claim compensation. It's a crap shoot how AC declare what the reason is, and whether or not that makes you eligible for compensation. I think most people on here are not thrilled at the size of the loophole that TC decided to give the airlines ... but the issue of AC changing from fin A to fin B is not relevant.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
But assigning an aircraft that arrives 2 hours after your scheduled departure is relevant.
gcashin likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
This is the problem with the Canadian government. It's a cop out. This is the worst passenger rights bill ever passed.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But assigning an aircraft that arrives 2 hours after your scheduled departure is relevant.
Not sure. I mean, it's relevant that your flight is now guaranteed to be at least 2 hours late ... and I suppose it makes it easier for you to predict a delay in advance ..... but for compensation purposes, does cause of that delay have a bearing on things?

AC will either claim safety violation or not, I'm assuming that the new plane aspect doesn't change that claim on their part.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canopus27
but for compensation purposes, does cause of that delay have a bearing on things?
It does, but it shouldn't. The regs should be any delay. The actuaries can figure out the rate of never (statistically speaking) happenings of 9/11 type delays and work backwards.

And then the carriers can work out the cost/benefit of preemptive maintenance and super tight block times.

Anything less than any delay employs lawyers, not provides service to customers.

But that isn't what we have
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Trying to help a relative (FOTSG). He was on ACr 1826 (19 January, PSP-YYZ, expected departure time 12:30 pm, revenue tx). On this route, the aircraft returns to YYZ after unloading and re-loading. Crew does not normally de-plane.

As I understand it, there were a series of delays. Boarding was about to commence for the return to YYZ (1:30 pm) when there was an announcement that the flight was cancelled. FA was injured on the southbound flight. Pax were advised there was now an insufficient number of crew to operate the flight and no replacement available. Remaining crew and pax were sent to a hotel and pax given a $10 voucher for lunch only (no voucher for dinner or breakfast).

Flight was rescheduled and departed the next day with a new FA brought in. Flight is double catered out of YYZ. No food for return flight because all catering was tossed. Pax given vouchers in the gate area. Cards for a promo code were provided to pax when the flight departed. No mention, as far as I can tell, of the new Passenger Rights Legislation. Delay was approximately 21 hours.

He has received several emails from AC about the situation. One stated the flight had been cancelled and another indicated it was disrupted. The stated reason (by AC) for the cancellation was crew constraints. Flightaware states flight was cancelled.

I reviewed the new legislation and read the above posts. Originally, I thought this delay would not qualify for compensation under the new rules but an earlier poster indicated success when the cancellation reason was “crew constraints”. For the time being, I suggested he not to accept the promo code offer in the event it affects his ability to claim under the new legislation.

Grateful for any thoughts as to whether a claim should be made under the new legislation and opinions about whether the promo code offer should be accepted. Many thanks, in advance.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:17 pm

Is there any way to request a followup on this? If they say 'safety' do we have rights to get documents proving such? If a crew goes over - we had a delay for unavailability and they claim safety, can we complain anywhere?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unmaxdemax

I also received a very favorable response from AC Customer service on my recent issue, in the form of electronic credits.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
There is a claim form specifically for >3 hour delays on the AC website:
https://accc-prod.microsoftcrmportal...-cancellation/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.