FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:05 pm
Bartolo

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Trying to help a relative (FOTSG). He was on ACr 1826 (19 January, PSP-YYZ, expected departure time 12:30 pm, revenue tx). On this route, the aircraft returns to YYZ after unloading and re-loading. Crew does not normally de-plane.

As I understand it, there were a series of delays. Boarding was about to commence for the return to YYZ (1:30 pm) when there was an announcement that the flight was cancelled. FA was injured on the southbound flight. Pax were advised there was now an insufficient number of crew to operate the flight and no replacement available. Remaining crew and pax were sent to a hotel and pax given a $10 voucher for lunch only (no voucher for dinner or breakfast).

Flight was rescheduled and departed the next day with a new FA brought in. Flight is double catered out of YYZ. No food for return flight because all catering was tossed. Pax given vouchers in the gate area. Cards for a promo code were provided to pax when the flight departed. No mention, as far as I can tell, of the new Passenger Rights Legislation. Delay was approximately 21 hours.

He has received several emails from AC about the situation. One stated the flight had been cancelled and another indicated it was disrupted. The stated reason (by AC) for the cancellation was crew constraints. Flightaware states flight was cancelled.

I reviewed the new legislation and read the above posts. Originally, I thought this delay would not qualify for compensation under the new rules but an earlier poster indicated success when the cancellation reason was “crew constraints”. For the time being, I suggested he not to accept the promo code offer in the event it affects his ability to claim under the new legislation.

Grateful for any thoughts as to whether a claim should be made under the new legislation and opinions about whether the promo code offer should be accepted. Many thanks, in advance.