Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
"Thank you for contacting the concierge desk;

Please note that we are currently unable to process any transactions as we are currently undergoing a transition to our new Amadeus based system. Please allow a delay of about 12 hours as our functions within our reservation systems are severely reduced. We should be back and all in order as of noon tomorrow.

My apologies for the inconvenience,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Air Canada and for being a Super Elite 100K Member."
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Amil
I have a flight I booked for tmw at 1pm and they are down until 12 and wont let me logon or do anything over the phone. Normally you have to cancel 2 hours before but they said the system is down until 12. Will I be okay if I cancel the flight at 12? Or am i SOL
You should be fine. I've cancelled much closer to departure than that.
Amil likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You should be fine. I've cancelled much closer to departure than that.

is the 2 hour min a bs rule?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Amil
is the 2 hour min a bs rule?
I wouldn't abuse it for the sake of abusing it, but I've never had an issue cancelling any booking closer than that.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Sorry, guys, I changed the channel and had some cereal. What did I miss? what's the AC Amadeus score so far?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Biggest EF "what the....oh right, they're upgrading" moment for me: "No additional comments for this airline." I sure hope that's not sticking around once Amadeus is up and running.

In other news I'm downloading
to my phone as a good luck charm for my flights tomorrow.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So far so good...

Agents here in YVR saying things seem to be ok...

Rock rock me Amadeus!
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by bid.shader
Spent 3 hours sitting on an E75 tonight waiting to go to LGA fro. YUL due to NY weather. Crew timed out(?) So flight cancelled. AC obviously can't rebook due to Amadeus changeover.

AC agents were less than helpful, offered no assistance, and said I was on my own for accommodation since it was weather related. Currently in a cab to a hotel.

Do I have options here? Thanks...
Realistically most of this would have happened regardless of tonight's cutover. The flight cancellation & being on your own for accommodation have nothing to do with the reservation system switch.
If time sensitive, I would book a flight tomorrow morning on another airline and deal with your travel insurance or AC for reimbursement later. If less time sensitive, wait until noon or whenever the system is back up and then get rebooked by AC.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So far so good...

Agents here in YVR saying things seem to be ok...

Rock rock me Amadeus!
That's because it is highly likely they are still using the old Departure Control System. This migration is for the reservations side of things.

In a few days/weeks/months (or even starting tomorrow morning), once they switch over the airport side of things (DCS) airport by airport to Altea Customer Management, there might be some confusion.

Here is a video clip from youtube (I think it was meant for training Garuda Indonesia airport agents some years ago when they had their migration) to get an idea as to what type of interface AC agents at the airport will be dealing with.

The next one is a training video for Malaysian Airlines agents (when they had their migration). It even shows how to "interline" bags and do through check-in to flights on a separate booking.

IMHO: No more black screens with green text and cryptic commands (at least on the airport side)! This type of interface actually requires less training and makes check-in functions at outstations easier to outsource to local ground handling companies (which also handle a few other airlines who also use the same system).
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by daniellam
That's because it is highly likely they are still using the old Departure Control System. This migration is for the reservations side of things.

In a few days/weeks/months (or even starting tomorrow morning), once they switch over the airport side of things (DCS) airport by airport to Altea Customer Management, there might be some confusion.

Here is a video clip from youtube (I think it was meant for training Garuda Indonesia airport agents some years ago when they had their migration) to get an idea as to what type of interface AC agents at the airport will be dealing with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7ph_G9rWXE

The next one is a training video for Malaysian Airlines agents (when they had their migration). It even shows how to "interline" bags and do through check-in to flights on a separate booking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbtQvMphGI

IMHO: No more black screens with green text and cryptic commands (at least on the airport side)! This type of interface actually requires less training and makes check-in functions at outstations easier to outsource to local ground handling companies (which also handle a few other airlines who also use the same system).
Just to be clear, I spoke with a check-in agent, two gate agents, two MLL agents, and two AC terminal staff and they all said similar. I'm fully aware of the separation from DCS. It's also discussed upthread.

Basically, my point was that aside from their direct experiences in real-time, I look at them as a litmus test (or as per others, acid test) with being a direct ear to ops. That's all.

I have read your posts upthread, and you are one of the more/most knowledgeable here with the migration details. ^
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:20 pm

I don't expect the DCS migration to happen for a while.

I can't recall where I heard this (it may have been on FT, if so, then I apologize for not citing my source), possibly from one of the many airport agents I've interacted with recently, but the US stations are slated for early next year.

YOW and something else big-but-small were going to be first. Big enough to have lots of employees and the ability to handle things, but small enough that there isn't a flight departing every few minutes.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
I think in addition to YOW it was YQB, ORD, GRU, and LHR that were the first five stations to try the new system.
pilot007 and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: AC75 MM
This is like when Apollo missions went behind the moon and there was no communication for a few hours. Will AC emerge from the dark side in 9 hours time or will they have crashed?
pilot007 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Noticed that historical flight postings from my M flight pass are now showing different fare classes than M on my Altitude dashboard. Y, J, and P flights all seem to have stayed the same.
YVR72 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:22 am
Formerly known as tireman77

On the AC app; the PNR for an upcoming reservation seems to have changed. Perhaps its just junk text while the system is down or will this change all PNRs?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.