Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
Unfortunately, I cannot offer greater clarity on this specific issue, as this was a fairly quick discussion. What is known is that the "process" for standbys will be different than what it is today from a system perspective and this will lead to a poorer "experience for our frequent flyers"; and those are exact words that I am quoting. I know that when standing by and that seats where only available in a different class of service, the gate agent would usually check in with you as to whether this was acceptable before "confirming". My recollection of the short discussion is that the new system may not allow this type of agent intervention, at least not initially - so your J seat would be gone on the spot for the other flight and getting back to it, from what I understand, could prove to be more problematic than before if you were to refuse the standby. Agreed that this is not totally different than before, but the speed at which all of this is happening, especially on Rapidair flights that could be processed simultaneously, could cause a few surprises...
PDM confirms it all automatically 5 minutes after FC.

In a recent example, two of us were on standby for a 20 minute earlier YVR-YYC. I cleared J, he cleared Y. We didn't even leave the lounge. We kept our original seats.

It would be incredibly stupid for a system to automatically confirm you into a lower cabin AND give up your original seat.

There are also many times I stand by on something that isn't a legal connection, with the hopes that I make it. If I clear standby, but don't make it to the gate in time, I still have my original seat.

They're going to cause a ton of problems for themselves if it behaves as described. And I'm not saying they wouldn't do anything like that. But it will be bad.

Originally Posted by skybluesea
Help please to correctly understand ?

Following Saturday, in J from MBJ - YYZ - YVR, and official cnx missed by 5 mins so booked on last flight to YVR. But if flight on-time, see NO reason I can't get to AC 33, with carry=-on bag and NEXUS, assuming space available.

Can I still call Concierge and say can you watch this for me, and I will call on landing to see if I can be moved on earlier flight?

Is problem I cannot go on Standby list as my cnx falls below official MCT?

HELP ???
There is no YYZ-YVR AC 33 on any upcoming Saturday.

But generally speaking, what you want is what I just described above as something I do all the time.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 10:04 pm
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
PDM confirms it all automatically 5 minutes after FC.

In a recent example, two of us were on standby for a 20 minute earlier YVR-YYC. I cleared J, he cleared Y. We didn't even leave the lounge. We kept our original seats.

It would be incredibly stupid for a system to automatically confirm you into a lower cabin AND give up your original seat.

There are also many times I stand by on something that isn't a legal connection, with the hopes that I make it. If I clear standby, but don't make it to the gate in time, I still have my original seat.

They're going to cause a ton of problems for themselves if it behaves as described. And I'm not saying they wouldn't do anything like that. But it will be bad.

But generally speaking, what you want is what I just described above as something I do all the time.
There is no YYZ-YVR AC 33 on any upcoming Saturday.

I believe it is tagged now as 106 (and 126 on the return)
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Wow. Clearing standby means you auto-forfeit your original seat? There's been many times where I (SE) have cleared standby but my wife (50K) hasn't. As I result I've declined the standby option.

Same thing for being protected. A number of times it has benefited me. I find it really hard to believe that 2 fundamental aspects to reservation flexibility were not considered in the business case to migrate to Amadeus.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:09 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
This:

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I can't recall the number of times I've done that transiting YYZ. And, given AC's traditional OTP, the non-legal connection sometimes works just fine.

If we were to permanently lose this then I would certainly consider it the loss of a useful service, stated or not.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Nov 18, 2019 at 12:01 pm Reason: Brevity is the soul of
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
In less than 5 hours time, we shall witness what could possibly be a textbook example of "how to screw up a system upgrade". We know AC doesn't exactly have an IT test environment, we are their testers. With the transition to Oh-my-God-eus, one would hope that they actually hired a team to test it thoroughly. But from what has been rumoured so far regarding functionality downgrades, it looks like we'll be wishing RES III was staying for a few more years.

Grab a seat and some popcorn, this could be fun to watch.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
And a heads-up to all of you watching from a comfy chair with snacks nearby.....

Trying to book a simple domestic Aeroplan ticket. Chrome incognito - the only one that works these days - lets you select flights and when you go to book "Page Not Found".

Fun exercise a couple of times.

Ok, let's try the Aeroplan app. Again, able to select flights. Tried a few times but keep getting this.

Called Aeroplan. Agent ALSO getting "Page Not Found" on her system.

Agent went for help and just came back to advise that the "website is down for all members". Agent is trying through her system.

Amadeus striking a little early? Or just Aeroplan having pre-Amadeus early warning symptoms?

Last edited by 24left; Nov 18, 2019 at 1:35 pm
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
This migration made me to be "proactive" by booking the rest of my flights for the year.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Not sure if this is related to the changeover but I am in the middle of YHZ-YYZ-BOS BOS-YYZ-YHZ same day res in Comfort, all on one PNR

i went to check in for return but was not able to.

It appears that someone/something added a YYZ-BOS segment to my return (in Latitude) and the system says that since I missed that flight, that I cannot check in to the return flights.

I managed to bump into a Concierge agent and she was able to override and check me in, but she could not explain how the other flight got added to the itinerary.

The flight showed up under Flight Status in the app, but I just assumed that a concierge had protected me on something, as I had a few extra flights show up on Saturday during a similar run.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
This migration made me to be "proactive" by booking the rest of my flights for the year.
my TA lost her billing on my last few flights as I booked them over the weekend.

I do not need this mess on any upcoming flights
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Feels like the calm of Christmas Eve here in YYZ dom right now. Or maybe more accurately the awkward calm of Y2K eve.

Kinda wish I was here in 6 hours.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:21 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Isn't there nasty weather heading towards that part of the world?

If so, it could be a real acid test of the new system.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
I guess they have frozen eups already then?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by trek604
I guess they have frozen eups already then?
But eUps at the airport aren't available as per the memo from days ago.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
But eUps at the airport aren't available as per the memo from days ago.
... starting tonight at 8pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.